Is there a difference between Forge and Spigot jars?

moothemoo

I'm new to this adding stuff to Minecraft thing. I understand that Forge is (mostly, I think) client side, and Spigot is (mostly, I think) server side. Both use jars. Is there a difference? Can I just dump Forge files (if there's a difference) into a Spigot server and vice versa? As of right now, I have Minecraft with forge on it, and I want to run a plugin of some sort (which, right there, I think is a red flag) on it, which seems to be for Spigot. How do I know if it's running? If I do not see it in the "Mods" menu in the main menu, is it not running?

10 minutes ago, moothemoo said:

I'm new to this adding stuff to Minecraft thing. I understand that Forge is (mostly, I think) client side, and Spigot is (mostly, I think) server side. Both use jars. Is there a difference? Can I just dump Forge files (if there's a difference) into a Spigot server and vice versa?

Yes. Forge is a mod loader (client-side), and Spigot is a plugin loader (server-side). Plugins and mods are setup differently and grab information from different libraries, so mods and plugins are not interchangeable.

10 minutes ago, moothemoo said:

As of right now, I have Minecraft with forge on it, and I want to run a plugin of some sort (which, right there, I think is a red flag) on it, which seems to be for Spigot. How do I know if it's running? If I do not see it in the "Mods" menu in the main menu, is it not running?

You wouldn’t see plugins in the mods menu because they are not mods. To install mods, you put them into your client Minecraft mods folder. To install plugins, you have to have a Spigot server running and put the plugins in your server’s plugin folder. For more information on Spigot plugins, go to their official webpage (SpigotMC.org).

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Forge is a mod loader, for both the client and server.

It does not load Spigot plugins, it loads Forge mods.

Just because both are written in java, and are packages as Jar files doesn't mean they are compatible.

• Like 1

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon