[SOLVED] Current Item Change & Chat Send Event

Zelnehlun

Hello,

I have two questions regarding switching the current item in hand and being notified when the player sends a chat message to the server (presses enter in chat).

Q1: Is there a way to disable changing the current item in hand with the num keys?

The code is in the Minecraft class or more specifically in the tick loop there is a for which seems to iterate 0 to 9 and checks if the corresponding key is pressed.

Without editing the base class I would like to disable this behavior (switching by scrolling the mouse wheel should still be possible)

Q2: Is there a ChatSendEvent?

I would like to retrieve the message a player is about to send to the server.

This is because I need to declare a client-side-only command, the server should not know about this command.

(If this is not possible, no problem the first question is more important ;))

Thank you for reading =)

Hi

I think it might be rather difficult to be honest.  I don't know of a way to intercept the call to Keyboard.getKeyDown to stop 0..8 from changing theplayer.inventory.currentItem.  You might be able to put some code into

FMLCommonHandler.instance().onPostClientTick();

to check whether the currentItem has changed, and somehow figure out whether 0..8 caused it, and if so undo it.  I doubt this would be robust unfortunately.

There seem to be more opportunities to intercept a chat message to the server, in each case it would mean extending one of the base classes and replacing references to it in the code; for example

class MyEntityClientPlayerMP extends EntityClientPlayerMP {

@override 
    public void sendChatMessage(String par1Str)
    {
        if (par1Str == "mycommand") {
            // do my command here
        } else {
          this.sendQueue.addToSendQueue(new Packet3Chat(par1Str));
        }
    }
}

and somewhere in your code you would need to set

Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer = new MyEntityClientPlayerMP(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer);

where you write the copy constructor to copy the EntityClientPlayerMP into your MyEntityClientPlayerMP.

Disclaimer: it looks like this should work but I've never tried it.

-TGG

@TheGreyGhost

Works like a charm actually.

I listen for the tick start event and put the current item into a variable, in the tick end event I check if the current item has changed.

If it changed lookup keys from 1 to 9 and reset it to the state before the tick if one of the keys is down.

Of course, sometimes (very rare) it misses a key event and changes the item but that is not too bad.

Thank you for your help!

Updating Forge to be able to use the ClientCommandHandler, I will edit this post with the source code if someone looks into this thread ;)