[UNSOLVED]Adding texture overly to a specific custom Block?

bl4ckscor3

Hi! It's me again! I'm really tired of ores which have the default stone texture, even if you use a texturepack. This looks awful in caves. Basically I want to have the stone texture for my ore and add a texture overlay to the whole texture which defines the ore. I know a mod which is a good example of what I'm asking for. It's called 'True Randomite'. I can't think of any way to do this. Can you help me out, please?

Thanks in advance!

~Minecrafter1912

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ Click it please? :3 ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

You want... a texture pack that changes the texture of other people's mods? Or is it your own ores that have default textures? Or the vanilla ores?

Looking up the randomite mod, it looks like you want it for your own. You probably need a custom renderer. The first thing you need to have your custom renderer is get the icon for regular stone. This will let you have that textured stone background. From there you have several choices.

1: Draw in textures in sections. You know exactly where your ore is going to show up in the block. Say you are just going to have a 4x4 square in the middle of the block. You are going to go in and draw in each side of the block individually, and on each side you would draw in a rectangle containing most of the bottom half of the stone texture, up to the bottom of where your ore shows up. Then you draw in 2 rectangles the height of your texture extending from the sides of the texture to the sides of the block. Then finally another big rectangle extending from the top of your ore to the top of the block. This draws in a regular stone block with a gap in the center. Then you just need to draw in your ore texture in the center of the block and it will look like you want.

2: Draw the texture in layers. I think this is how your example did it. Draw the stone block like normal. This gives you a base to work with, and takes much less effort than drawing each side. This will happen in pass 0, the solid block pass. Then your custom renderer and block will have to be set up to render in both passes. Your ore texture will be just the ore spots, with maybe a little bit of distortion around the edges if you want it like your example, with that distortion being slightly transparent. In the alpha pass or rendering, you will draw in the entire texture of your ore. This will theoretically overlay the normal texture and give you what you want. If you run into problems with z-fighting, where your texture flickers in and out of the stone texture, just expand your block bounds when drawing your ore texture ever so very slightly, so it is barely bigger than the stone block.

Read my thoughts on my summer mod work and tell me what you think!

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,8396.0.html

I absolutely love her when she smiles

Eh.  All you really need is something like this:

renderer.renderStandardBlock(Block.stone, x, y, z); //render normal stone
renderer.renderBlockUsingTexture(Block.stone, x, y, z, block.getIcon(0, 0));  //render the overlay

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

renderer.renderBlockUsingTexture(Block.stone, x, y, z, block.getIcon(0, 0));  //render the overlay

Should do, but if they want it to sort of have a mixed texture... look up the randomite mod he mentioned and look at how that texture blends into the stone background. That has to use alphas to work. It is a little bit more complex, but not too bad.

Should do, but if they want it to sort of have a mixed texture... look up the randomite mod he mentioned and look at how that texture blends into the stone background. That has to use alphas to work. It is a little bit more complex, but not too bad.

Above method does allow alpha.  I'm using it.

2013_06_13_23_26_02.png

Image from a thread where I was having an issue, but you can clearly see that I have an overlay on top of stone bricks that is alpha'd.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

What class does the renderer variable refer to?

....Interesting. Thank you.

Create a class that implements ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler. The method renderWorldBlock is given the renderer. The link I posted has more than you need, but it does help a lot with setting up your first custom block renderer and you can learn a lot from it.

Protip:

Make sure your custom renderers always return true.

Returning false does WEIRD SHIT.

I would like to do almost exactly the same, but not for entire classes of blocks, but for individual blocks. Independent of their type.

For example: The block located at x, y, z (1, 2, 3). How can I add an overlay to this block?

I know that I can change the block using setBlock(). However, I do not want to change the block ID.

Can anyone help me?

It won't work for me. Can you please tell me how you did it? I'm kinda stuck at the moment.

2013_06_13_23_26_02.png

Image from a thread where I was having an issue, but you can clearly see that I have an overlay on top of stone bricks that is alpha'd.

1) Learn how to place your reply into a post with quotes properly

2) What is the error?

I would like to do almost exactly the same, but not for entire classes of blocks, but for individual blocks. Independent of their type.

For example: The block located at x, y, z (1, 2, 3). How can I add an overlay to this block?

I know that I can change the block using setBlock(). However, I do not want to change the block ID.

Can anyone help me?

Can anyone help me?

Your issue is not the same.  The issue in this thread is combining two textures for a SPECIFIC CUSTOM BLOCK.  Your issue is drawing on overlay on ALL BLOCKS.

Can anyone help me?

Your issue is not the same.  The issue in this thread is combining two textures for a SPECIFIC CUSTOM BLOCK.  Your issue is drawing on overlay on ALL BLOCKS.

Well, maybe it's not the same but I'm stuck for a long time and like some advice.

Unfortunately I have no ideas.