Adding a New Door

intermediateuser

What's the basic structure for this?  I was going to just copy BlockDoor and ItemDoor and work with that, but in the process of doing so I came across EnumHelper.addDoor().  This leads me to think Forge has an easy way to add doors, but aside from this one clue I don't see how.

Should I just go with my original method, or should I utilize whatever method Forge has intended for this—and if the latter, how?

• 4 months later...

This is all AFAIK.

BlockDoor creates a door by looking at the material you pass into it. It creates either an iron or wood door in vanilla by combining some strings to create the top and bottom texture name (and then flipping them for the opposite side).

Even if I pass wood as my material (which I think should just result in a wood door), my door still does appear untextured in the game world. It can be placed, but you can only see a frame if you move your mouse over it.

The only difference between how I call my BlockCustomDoor class and how it vanilla does it is I cannot get "disableStats()" to work. I thought "Block.disableStats()" would work, but that is not the case. I really don't understand what "disableStats()" and if that is my problem.

I really don't understand what "disableStats()" and if that is my problem.

You haven't looked at the stats feature in Minecraft have you?  It tracks the number of blocks of given types mined, broken, placed, and so on.

disableStats() just turns stats off for that block.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

If it's untextured I would look at the getIcon and registerIcon methods :P

Remember that you are free to create your own Icon variables and register a top an bottom doir texture, then by metadata decide which to return in the geticon.

I suggest you look at how the door blocks metadata is used ;)

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

If it's untextured I would look at the getIcon and registerIcon methods :P

Remember that you are free to create your own Icon variables and register a top an bottom doir texture, then by metadata decide which to return in the geticon.

I suggest you look at how the door blocks metadata is used ;)

To be clear, it has no texture; not even the missing texture.

I have looked at the getIcon and registerIcon method. As I said above, BlockDoor registers the block's texture by combining the door's material as well as "_lower" and "_upper"; even if I use the materials the in vanilla - wood and iron - I have the same problem. Here is how I call (invoke?) my custom class.

stoneDoor = new BlockCustomDoor(1016, Material.wood).setUnlocalizedName("door_wood").setTextureName("door_wood").setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabBlock);

And this is my BlockCustomDoor class

package whalecraft;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.BlockDoor;
import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;

public class BlockCustomDoor extends BlockDoor {

protected BlockCustomDoor(int par1, Material par2Material) {
	super(par1, par2Material);
	// TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
}

}

Hi

Have you tried putting a breakpoint in the rendering code to see what is happening?

BlockDoor uses a special renderer (renderType = 7) and since you're deriving from BlockDoor, it will probably be calling the same renderer.  Under some conditions the door doesn't render at all (if the adjacent block doesn't have the same ID).  To be honest I don't understand exactly what it's doing there, but it might be causing your problem.

RenderBlocks.renderBlockDoor():
    public boolean renderBlockDoor(Block par1Block, int par2, int par3, int par4)
    {
        Tessellator tessellator = Tessellator.instance;   // add breakpoint here
        int l = this.blockAccess.getBlockMetadata(par2, par3, par4);

if ((l &  != 0)
        {
            if (this.blockAccess.getBlockId(par2, par3 - 1, par4) != par1Block.blockID)
            {
                return false;
            }
        }
        else if (this.blockAccess.getBlockId(par2, par3 + 1, par4) != par1Block.blockID)
        {
            return false;
        }

-TGG

I think you may be on to something, TheGreyGhost.

I actually noticed that the wireframe which shows the door actually only shows the bottom block of the door. Perhaps the top door block is not being created and, because of the render type, it doesn't render the bottom block (as it isn't next to another block with the same ID) and the top block just doesn't exist at all.

BQt9zPw.png

I'm not sure why the top block isn't being created (if that is the problem), but I feel like I am getting closer...

EDIT: Figured this out. Will post a tutorial on doors tomorrow as I, obviously, couldn't find one myself. Save some people some trouble.