How to get a icon from a texturefile

TopSecretPorkChop

I'm trying create a generic button class that can take a texture file and render it on top of the button (is a sort of label) without making a different texture for each button.  I'm kindof stuck as to how to load a texture into an Icon (for rendering using drawTexturedModelRectFromIcon).  I've tried creating an TextureMap instance in my GuiHandler class, but whenever I try to draw an Icon obtained using TextureMap.registerIcon(string), I get a NullPointerException.  Any help on the proper way to obtain an Icon outside of the Block and Item mechanisms would be appreciated.

Here is the the line I used to declare my TextureMap instance:

textureMapGuis  = new TextureMap(2, Textures.BLANK_TEXTURE_PNG, Textures.GUI_TEXTURE_PATH, new BufferedImage(64, 64, 2) );

I've checked to make sure that the Icon is not null (i.e. I've printed icon.getName(), and icon.minU... to the log), and it is not.

The best protection for all you meat-related data.

I'm trying create a generic button class that can take a texture file and render it on top of the button (is a sort of label) without making a different texture for each button.  I'm kindof stuck as to how to load a texture into an Icon (for rendering using drawTexturedModelRectFromIcon).  I've tried creating an TextureMap instance in my GuiHandler class, but whenever I try to draw an Icon obtained using TextureMap.registerIcon(string), I get a NullPointerException.  Any help on the proper way to obtain an Icon outside of the Block and Item mechanisms would be appreciated.

Here is the the line I used to declare my TextureMap instance:

textureMapGuis  = new TextureMap(2, Textures.BLANK_TEXTURE_PNG, Textures.GUI_TEXTURE_PATH, new BufferedImage(64, 64, 2) );

I've checked to make sure that the Icon is not null (i.e. I've printed icon.getName(), and icon.minU... to the log), and it is not.

I'm playing around with textures right now myself. It's not as easy as you expect it to be. I tried what you tried too, creating my own texture map, registering textures, loading them... I think Minecraft is a little too static for that. After long exploration of the source code, I found that the "type of Icons", actually the declared icon type of the Item / Block, declares from which texture map it is read.

So even if you create your own texture map with texture type 0 (which is for blocks), it will still take the Minecraft terrain.png stitched texture as source. Consequentially, you don't even need to further pursue your current idea.

I could look up the respective code areas again should you not believe me.

I don't quite know how your code looks like or even why you explicitly need to use a custom texture map. Your case is even simpler than mine where I needed to color an item based on item damage (turned out to be much easier, too).

My approach would be, unless you want the "label" not to cover the entire side, to use Block.getIcon(int side, int metadata); and consider both parameters to determine which Icon to use. I.e. the "top" would return something like:

public Icon getIcon( int side, int metadata ) {
    if( side == 1 ) { // ForgeDirection.UP
        Block.wood.getIcon(0, 0);
    }
    else {
        Block.stoneBrick.getIcon(0, 0);
    }
}

Of course you'd need to adjust consideration of metadata to determine which side is the correct "top" of your button.

Or maybe you are talking about a GUI button?

It is a Gui Button (not the vanilla class, though) that I'm trying to overlay a texture onto.  Basically, I'm trying to make a button (have made actually, just not the texture part) that you can set an icon/texture overlay for as a label.  This texture would then be rendered on top of the generic button texture.

The best protection for all you meat-related data.

I'm going to find something I need  but I found that maybe I can help u

4.png

I upload the picture .this gui and button this made by texture.

it is rectangle but you can also make another shape

you just make a new class extends GuiButton and override the DrawScreen Method.

use  BindTexture method to bind a png  than use drawTexturedModalRect.

really easy .

Im now making the Animation of Gui .