Light Value Override?

Meoco

Hello! I was wondering if there was a clean way to override ambient light levels in specified air blocks.  In other words, I want to make an area dark, regardless of light sources. Any ideas?

What have you tried so far?

Look into Block.getMixedBrightnessForBlock( IBlockAccess, int, int, int ). Maybe also check out net.minecraft.block.BlockFluid.getMixedBrightnessForBlock( IBlockAccess, int, int, int ).

Either you'll need to make a coremod and use class transformers to expand upon Vanilla Minecraft algorithms of each and every block, or you simply create a new Block that you place next to the blocks you want colored darker, override that method and try to work around your problem like that.

In either way, I don't touch lighting yet. It can be a very difficult rendering process.

What have you tried so far?

I have tried using the World.setLightValue function (which IS different than the Block.setLightValue), to no avail, I've looked into using dummy darkness blocks, but the desired effect isn't there (because a block exists that isn't a sky block, mobs will not spawn, which is one of the big reasons for having the effect in the first place).

I've looked into every class and every function I could find involving light, and I'm still lost. lol

Another idea: Is it possible to change the light opacity of a sky block?

I have tried using the World.setLightValue function (which IS different than the Block.setLightValue), to no avail, I've looked into using dummy darkness blocks, but the desired effect isn't there (because a block exists that isn't a sky block, mobs will not spawn, which is one of the big reasons for having the effect in the first place).

Could be that your custom light value is recalculated shortly after you set it.

Another idea: Is it possible to change the light opacity of a sky block?

I doubt that. Sky / Air block doesn't exist. It's a null reference at index 0 of Block.blocksList. You could try though to roof the target area with invisible blocks that affect light level of all blocks within the enclosed area. I'd set the opacity for those particular blocks with Block.setLightOpacity. Though I don't know if it works for non-opaque blocks. It must be non-opaque in order to better control rendering, i.e. making it fully transparent so you can see and walk through. But it might be that the light opacity is only used for opaque cubes...

Could be that your custom light value is recalculated shortly after you set it.

I considered that, but at the same time, I don't know how to circumvent it.

Though I don't know if it works for non-opaque blocks. It must be non-opaque in order to better control rendering, i.e. making it fully transparent so you can see and walk through. But it might be that the light opacity is only used for opaque cubes...

My mod actually has a block that is semi-transparent, and has a full light opacity, and no collision. :P

I'm trying to avoid using a gimmick like spawning invisible blocks, mainly because Wherever those blocks lay, mobs will not spawn, and there are various other issues, like replacing an invisible block with a regular one, then removing it, leaving a hole.

Stupid light and its stupid properties... -.- lol

I'm facing a similar problem. I didn't want monsters to spawn, but I did want to make the world darker. I haven't done anything yet But...

My only idea was to have that block force blindness on nearby players, similar to throwing a potion at the players, in whatever way it is that a beacon can do so. To take care of monsters you may want to look into the mob-spawner code and just have monsters randomly spawn using that.

Read my thoughts on my summer mod work and tell me what you think!

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,8396.0.html

I absolutely love her when she smiles

I'm trying to avoid using a gimmick like spawning invisible blocks, mainly because Wherever those blocks lay, mobs will not spawn, and there are various other issues, like replacing an invisible block with a regular one, then removing it, leaving a hole.

Good point.

What I mean is not fully replace every sky block in the area with a dummy block but only construct walls around the area so everything within would be darkened while still allowing mobs to spawn. I'm going to face a similar problem soon, too, so I'd really like to know the solution...

Good point.

What I mean is not fully replace every sky block in the area with a dummy block but only construct walls around the area so everything within would be darkened while still allowing mobs to spawn. I'm going to face a similar problem soon, too, so I'd really like to know the solution...

I have tried to do it that way, and it works, but again, it's very gimmicky, and any light sources inside the range will still provide light, kinda ruining the effect regardless. :P

I'm facing a similar problem. I didn't want monsters to spawn, but I did want to make the world darker. I haven't done anything yet But...

My only idea was to have that block force blindness on nearby players, similar to throwing a potion at the players, in whatever way it is that a beacon can do so. To take care of monsters you may want to look into the mob-spawner code and just have monsters randomly spawn using that.

It's not so much forcing the monsters to spawn as much as the spawning is supposed to be an effect of the block's use, so I'm not sure I'd want to do that, and as for your blindness thing, there is a function (I'll look up the name later) that gets all entities within a range of the specified coords, and then it's just a matter of adding the potion effect to the returned entity, which is fairly straightforward. :P