Source Not Found!

Umpaz

I'm trying to learn more about coding and to get some bases down I downloaded some mods from curseforge. When I try to load them into eclipse and view anything but assets it gives me the error source not found. Is there some kind of decompile I have to do to view the code?

Howdy

You've got two choices i know of...

1) search for the source for the mod (many are open source .. often on github)

2) Download IntelliJ IDEA (it's free for hobbyist use) - it has an inbuilt decompiler called FernFlower which will automatically show you the decompiled code if it can't find the actual source.  It's not as good as the original source of course, but is often good enough to identify what algorithms they're using for parts of interest.

Personally I'd recommend you stick to tutorials at the start, it's hard enough to learn the intricacies of Minecraft and Forge with well-documented code and someone explaining it as you go, let alone trying to reverse engineer the logic from things which the author didn't write to be easy to understand.

-TGG

7 hours ago, Umpaz said:

I'm trying to learn more about coding and to get some bases down I downloaded some mods from curseforge. When I try to load them into eclipse and view anything but assets it gives me the error source not found. Is there some kind of decompile I have to do to view the code?

First you'll have to use a deobfuscator like BON2, because mods' source code gets obfuscated when building it, then use a decompiler, like FernFlower to convert the class files from the jar to Java files.

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".