[1.15.2]Custom Large Structure in a Custom Dimension

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating the best way of adding large structures (>5 chunks in diameter) to a custom void dimension. I have one structure that only exists once in the dimension (a kind of entry fortress where you teleport in) and also additional structures repeating with some kind of minimum distance between them.

All of the structures will have a prerecorded pattern and are not procedural generated.

Is it best practice to use the structure system from vanilla for such things, or should I just generate them with a custom ChunkGenerator and ignore the structure system.

I also thought about ignoring runaway chunk generation issues for the once in dimension structure as it should be loaded entirely by the first player to port in anyway.

Additionally I found this older thread here, are these points still valid for 1.15?

18 minutes ago, GeldornOfDragonhill said:

Additionally I found this older thread here, are these points still valid for 1.15?

No, the structure system avoids that issue.

18 minutes ago, GeldornOfDragonhill said:

Is it best practice to use the structure system from vanilla for such things, or should I just generate them with a custom ChunkGenerator and ignore the structure system.

Use the structure system.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

So I looked trough the various structure classes and just want to make sure I got the right idea of the big picture.

• If I just want a single instance of the structure, Structure#func_225558_a_ returns only true for the one chunk pos the structure is started from
  • The StructureStart#init adds all the structures parts to the components list
    • If I use structure blocks to capture the structure into NBT I guess each part (as there is a limit of 32x32x32 if I remember correctly) needs it's own TemplateStructurePiece
    • Do the pieces have to be chunk aligned?
  • All the vanilla structures I have seen so far are returning a fixes size for Structure#getSize. I guess this is the size in chunks? So there are only square structures supported?