1.15.2 forge wont install/open

r0d3nt

Hey so I'll get straight to the point. I've downloaded the latest java and the latest forge installer, but when I try and open the forge installer to start it up nothing happens. I've tried right clicking > open with > Java(TM) Platform SE binary and openJDK Platform binary, (Not sure what the difference is??) and an error comes up when I try both. Any help would be appreciated. 

5 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Show the error.

You should however just be able to double-click jar files if Java is correctly installed.

I restarted my computer a second ago and now theres only one 'Open with' option, the JDK one. When I click it now, nothing happens. Not even an error?

1 minute ago, diesieben07 said:

Post that file please.

Heres the contents:

Spoiler

JVM info: Oracle Corporation - 14.0.1 - 14.0.1+7
java.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
Found java version 14.0.1
Exception in thread "main" 
java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.imageio.IIOException: Can't create cache file!
    at net.minecraftforge.installer.InstallerPanel.getImage(InstallerPanel.java:151)
    at net.minecraftforge.installer.InstallerPanel.<init>(InstallerPanel.java:167)
    at net.minecraftforge.installer.SimpleInstaller.launchGui(SimpleInstaller.java:169)
    at net.minecraftforge.installer.SimpleInstaller.main(SimpleInstaller.java:143)
Caused by: javax.imageio.IIOException: Can't create cache file!
    at java.desktop/javax.imageio.ImageIO.createImageInputStream(ImageIO.java:361)
    at java.desktop/javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(ImageIO.java:1359)
    at net.minecraftforge.installer.InstallerPanel.getImage(InstallerPanel.java:146)
    ... 3 more
Caused by: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\PROGRA~1\KMSpico\temp\imageio3756690051383634372.tmp
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:89)
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:235)
    at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:375)
    at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createFile(Files.java:652)
    at java.base/java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.create(TempFileHelper.java:137)
    at java.base/java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.createTempFile(TempFileHelper.java:160)
    at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createTempFile(Files.java:917)
    at java.desktop/javax.imageio.stream.FileCacheImageInputStream.<init>(FileCacheImageInputStream.java:102)
    at java.desktop/com.sun.imageio.spi.InputStreamImageInputStreamSpi.createInputStreamInstance(InputStreamImageInputStreamSpi.java:69)
    at java.desktop/javax.imageio.ImageIO.createImageInputStream(ImageIO.java:357)
    ... 5 more

2 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

This is why I asked, this is something you usually only see on very old versions of Windows...

Please try uninstalling Java completely and re-installing Java 8.

Ah I see. My dad built this computer since I'm not very good with stuff like this. I've reinstalled it, should I retry opening forge?

3 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Yes

Just tried, it had the same result. After right clicking to 'open with' there were two SE options, one did nothing and one opened a confirmation, then the same error.

Heres the notepad file it created, if its any help.

Spoiler

JVM info: Oracle Corporation - 1.8.0_251 - 25.251-b08
Found java version 1.8.0_251
java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.imageio.IIOException: Can't create cache file!
    at net.minecraftforge.installer.InstallerPanel.getImage(InstallerPanel.java:151)
    at net.minecraftforge.installer.SimpleInstaller.launchGui(SimpleInstaller.java:169)
    at javax.imageio.ImageIO.createImageInputStream(Unknown Source)
    at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(Unknown Source)
    at net.minecraftforge.installer.InstallerPanel.getImage(InstallerPanel.java:146)
    ... 3 more
Caused by: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\PROGRA~1\KMSpico\temp\imageio6287466975152966870.tmp
    at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.file.Files.createFile(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.create(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.createTempFile(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.file.Files.createTempFile(Unknown Source)
    at javax.imageio.stream.FileCacheImageInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.imageio.spi.InputStreamImageInputStreamSpi.createInputStreamInstance(Unknown Source)
    ... 6 more

Edited by r0d3nt

6 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Show the new installer.log.

Spoiler

JVM info: Oracle Corporation - 1.8.0_251 - 25.251-b08
Found java version 1.8.0_251
    at javax.imageio.ImageIO.createImageInputStream(Unknown Source)
    at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(Unknown Source)
    ... 3 more
Caused by: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: C:\PROGRA~1\KMSpico\temp\imageio5749467120708726576.tmp
    at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.file.Files.createFile(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.create(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.createTempFile(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.file.Files.createTempFile(Unknown Source)
    at javax.imageio.stream.FileCacheImageInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.imageio.spi.InputStreamImageInputStreamSpi.createInputStreamInstance(Unknown Source)
    ... 6 more

For some reason the temp directory on your computer is configured to a path that doesn't allow Java to write to it.

I would say this is a configuration error.

You can run the installer from the command line using java -Djava.io.tmpdir=put temp directory here -jar installer file name

So this is reinstalling java?? sorry, im a tad confused. where should the temp directory be?

4 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

No, that is not re-installing Java.

The temp directory can be wherever you want, you can delete it afterwards.

I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but this came up:

Spoiler

error img 2.PNG

2 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

You must type the complete file name, including file extension.

The same thing happened after i added .jar at the end. I'm not sure what the extension is if not .jar? It says in file explorer 'Executable jar file' what would I type for that?

13 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Are you in the correct folder?

Aaah im sorry haha you're being extremely patient with me. My forge installer is just on my desktop if that's what you're meaning

edit: I think I understand you- my bad. I'm not sure where my temp is located

Edited by r0d3nt

If the installer is on your desktop then it makes sense that your previous attempt did not work, because there you were not looking at your desktop in the command line.

So what do I change in order for it to work?

8 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Either move the installer into the folder that you have the command line pointing at or move into the correct folder in the command line (using the cd command).

The command i was using was 'java -Djava.io.tmpdir=desktop -jar forge-1.15.2-31.2.0-installer.jar' But it didn't work even though my file is on the desktop? I tried moving it to a folder on the desktop, and to a folder in my %appdata% > '.minecraft' folder and it had the same outcome. Is the command not typed right?

edit: I tried with 'java -Djava.io.tmpdir=%appdata^>.minecraft>mods -jar forge-1.15.2-31.2.0-installer.jar' and it said access denied.

Edited by r0d3nt

I don't think I'm getting it right yet, my apologies. I don't really go near this stuff very often so I'm not sure how it's supposed to look. Either of these help?

Spoiler

1269327125_errorimg3.PNG.c074b20e27365456c1bcf73ae30c6f29.PNG

359058790_errorimg4.PNG.0b531693512eb027e87d92820836f587.PNG

I moved the forge installer to users\kevin, and theres ones on the desktop,

Edited by r0d3nt

14 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

The first one doesn't make sense, because the jar file is not in C:\.

Please show the jar file being present in C:\users\kevin.

Here's the jar file in user\kevin. 

Spoiler

error img 5.PNG

5 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

That's the launcher. You don't need that.

You need to use the installer.

Oh you're right, I didn't notice.

I tried the command after switching out the launcher for installer, and this is what I got

Spoiler

539958453_errorimg6.PNG.5134f3d2c9172886718ea77647cf8a68.PNG

edit: just noticed it's the wrong installer version, I'll try again with the right one

Edited by r0d3nt