Mod data overrides vanilla

Slit_bodmod

I have been working on a mod for 1.15.2 Minecraft, I am new to Minecraft mod development. I thought I had a grip on how tags worked however whenever I try and append some items in my mod to a Minecraft tag it seems to somehow stop that tag from loading any items either from vanilla or my mod.

I haven't (yet) tried to access or manipulate any files in code or access tags at any point, in theory it should be a resources only problem. I haven't deliberately overwritten any Minecraft data files although I have overwritten textures for horse armour and dark oak leaves.

I have made sure that my files are in the right place and that the replace setting is set to false.

As an example I uploaded my extension to the walls file saved at src/main/resources/data/minecraft/tags/blocks/walls.json. The intended result was to let my thatch, blackstone and blackstone_bricks wall connect to other walls in the game however the effect has proved to stop any walls from connecting to any other walls while the game is running.

No recipes are working, leaves are decaying next to log blocks it's all gone a bit disastrous.

Any help would be much appreciated as like I said, I'm relatively amateur, thought I had a grip on things and now really don't know what to do.

walls.json

25 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

Simply adding that walls.json would not cause all that stuff to happen

Well, it can, if the json file is invalid. Any invalid json file inside /data will cause ALL data files to not be loaded. Its rather frustrating.

Slit_bodmod, its unlikely that the problem is your walls.json file, have you added any other data files (such as recipes or advancements?)

• Thanks 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

1 minute ago, Draco18s said:

I fixed the problem with me putting minecraft instead of lotb, that was a silly mistake to miss however I genuinely can't see the problem with the logs file. Is it something really obvious staring me in the face, is it something to do with the hashtag because I am trying to link a block tag I've created.

I don't want to come across like I'm taking the mic but I'm known to be quite dyslexic at the best of times. Sorry.

If you're trying to add YOUR blocks to the tag, you need to tell the tag about YOUR block which should have YOUR mod ID.

All of the ones I linked are wrong.

44 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

If you're trying to add YOUR blocks to the tag, you need to tell the tag about YOUR block which should have YOUR mod ID.

All of the ones I linked are wrong.

I changed where I typed minecraft in the block tags instead of my mod id on the last 3 files you mentioned (i haven't changed it on github), when doing that I removed the first file you mentioned, the problamatic #lotb:shire_oak_logs file, entirely and it all worked fine.

I then re-added the logs file unchanged and nothing seemed to have broken, all the blocks reconnected, saplings still placed trees correctly, so on.

The only thing that isn't working is recipes and block loot_tables (presumably all loot tables but i only currently have the ones for block drops), for both vanilla and my mod, ie: no blocks will drop, nothing is craftable.

Thanks for pointing out my silly id mess up though, I was finding it really hard to find it and you also gave me some very useful pointers in how to find issues with the data.

You probably have a bad file somewhere still.

Yeah, I think so, glad that it seems to be loading the block tags now though.

I wrote a little program to help auto generate a lot of files, it was primarily for block-states and models but it also does some other things and while it's massively helped with speed and enjoyability of developing this mod it does also mean that I'm going at a speed where it's slightly hard to debug, there's a chance there's a hiccup with that, either that or one of the extra few recipes I added manually, If I check the logs it should tell me where it is, right.

Also, again, thankyou very much for helping me with this.

Edited by Slit_bodmod

7 hours ago, Slit_bodmod said:

I wrote a little program to help auto generate a lot of files, it was primarily for block-states and models but it also does some other things

Data generators are now built-in: https://wiki.mcjty.eu/modding/index.php?title=Tut14_Ep7 there are more generators in the net.minecraftforge.client.model.generators package

Edited by Ugdhar

1 hour ago, Ugdhar said:

Data generators are now built-in: https://wiki.mcjty.eu/modding/index.php?title=Tut14_Ep7 there are more generators in the net.minecraftforge.client.model.generators package

Oh haha, thankyou, that's really useful, I should have checked really. It's like the old programming thing, someone's probably done it before and better.