Place Block as Player

Ankh

I'm trying to make a mod where if I type a specific message in chat, it will place a block where I'm looking. I'm using ClientChatEvent to get when the client sends a chat message, but I'm not sure how to get the block the player is looking at, or place a block as the player. Kind of like how Schematica does it, but only on the block the player is looking at (as if they were holding the block in their hand and right clicked).

ย 

Does anyone know how that could be accomplished?

Edited by Ankh

On 5/21/2020 at 8:34 PM, poopoodice said:

use raytracing to find the location (player.getLookVec() to get where the player's looking at) of the block that is going to be placed and use world.setBlockState to set the block. BlockItem contains a lot of information you want.

I've tried setBlockState(), but it seems to only work in singleplayer so I assume it's server-side. Is there any way to place a block client-side, so that to the server it seems as if a player just normally placed a block?

Is this a client only mod?

What would be the function to be like from the end user's perspective?

You could just send a right click input to place the block down.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Doย notย follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster)ย and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3.ย Neverย copy and paste code. You won't learnย anythingย from doing that.

4.ย 

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it๏ปฟ.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQย before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11ย are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

ย 

ย