[1.15.2] Access another mod's Block without having to import it

squidlex

Hi there!

I'm messing around with Data Generators and I want one of my recipes to use a block from another mod.

I already have a check to make sure the mod is installed, but I don't know how to actually get the mod's item. I know I can change it in the JSONs but I want to do it directly from my code.

I'm using ShapedReciperBuilder.key() which requires an implementation of IItemProvider.

I read about a 'getBlockById' method somewhere but this has either been renamed or removed in later versions.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by squidlex

@ObjectHolder annotations.

If the mod is loaded and the block exists, the annotated field will be populated with a value.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

4 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

@ObjectHolder annotations.

Thanks for your reply :)

My issue is that I don't have the Mod present in my working directory, would that still work?

If not do you know of any way to just get my Data Generator to set the key to a given ID?

Sorry if that's a dumb question.

If the mod is not present, the value will be left null. Be sure to perform a null-check before doing anything with the value.

And of course, if the other mod is present it won't function (but it won't crash).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

6 hours ago, squidlex said:

Thanks for your reply :)

My issue is that I don't have the Mod present in my working directory, would that still work?

If not do you know of any way to just get my Data Generator to set the key to a given ID?

Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Values are injected into fields marked with @ObjectHolder regardless if a mod is present.

It is capable of obtaining any registry entry.

Think of it as an “event handler” for registering a registry entry. If at any point in time (not literally; please only register stuff during the appropriate event) an object is registered, Forge looks through all object holder and injects the value into according ones.

If an entry is never registered (i.e. the mod is not installed), then the “event” of registering that specific entry will not occur, and therefore will leave the field to null.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.