[Solved] Loop through all entities standing on block

BlockyPenguin

So, I have a block with a TileEntity. All's working fine, except for the main purpose of said TileEntity. I want it to loop through each entity standing on top of the block, and run some code for each one.

It doesn't.

I define an AxisAlignedBB:

AxisAlignedBB aabbAbove = new AxisAlignedBB(pos.up());

and use it in my tick() method:

for (LivingEntity ent : world.getEntitiesWithinAABB(LivingEntity.class, aabbAbove)) {
    if(ent.getHealth() > 1) {
        ent.setHealth(ent.getHealth() - 1);
        ent.performHurtAnimation();
        collectedHealth++;
    }
}

but the above for loop never fires... any ideas?

Thanks,

~Blocky

Edited by BlockyPenguin
Solevd

Today (22/10/20) I reached 100 posts!

I'm probably more excited than I should be for something so realistically minor...

Show more code.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

1 hour ago, Draco18s said:

Show more code.

Ok :)

package com.blockypenguin.labkit.tileentities;

import ...

public class HealthCollectorTile extends TileEntity implements ITickableTileEntity, INamedContainerProvider {

private LazyOptional<IEnergyStorage> energy = LazyOptional.of(this::createEnergy);

int counter = 10; // 20 ticks is approximately one second, therefore 10 ticks is approximately half a second.
    BlockState newBlockState;
	int collectedHealth = 0;
	Mode mode = Mode.DAMAGE_HEAL;

public HealthCollectorTile() {
        super(ModTiles.HEALTH_COLLECTOR_TILE);
    }

@Override
    public void tick() {
    	if(world.isRemote())
    		return;

if (counter <= 0) {
        	for (LivingEntity ent : world.getEntitiesWithinAABB(LivingEntity.class, aabbAbove)) {
        		if(ent.getHealth() > 1) {

ent.setHealth(ent.getHealth() - 1);
        			ent.performHurtAnimation();
        			energy.ifPresent(e -> ((CustomEnergyStorage)e).subtractEnergy(100));
        			collectedHealth++;

}
			}
        	counter = 10;
        }else {
        	counter--;
            markDirty();
        }

energy.ifPresent(e -> {
        	if(e.getEnergyStored() < 0) {
        		((CustomEnergyStorage) e).setEnergy(0);
        	}
        });

}

// Get data from the NBT
    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
	@Override
    public void read(CompoundNBT tag) {
        CompoundNBT energyTag = tag.getCompound("energy");
        energy.ifPresent(e -> ((INBTSerializable<CompoundNBT>) e).deserializeNBT(energyTag));

counter = tag.getInt("counter");
        collectedHealth = tag.getInt("collectedHealth");
        super.read(tag);
    }

// Send data to the NBT
    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
	@Override
    public CompoundNBT write(CompoundNBT tag) {
        energy.ifPresent(h -> {
            CompoundNBT compound = ((INBTSerializable<CompoundNBT>) h).serializeNBT();
            tag.put("energy", compound);
        });

tag.putInt("counter", counter);
        tag.putInt("collectedHealth", collectedHealth);
        return super.write(tag);
    }

// When creating the energy storage, use CustomEnergyStorage, with a maximum capacity of 100,000FE
    private IEnergyStorage createEnergy() {
        return new CustomEnergyStorage(100000, 0);
    }

@Nonnull
    @Override
    public <T> LazyOptional<T> getCapability(@Nonnull Capability<T> cap, @Nullable Direction side) {
        if (cap == CapabilityEnergy.ENERGY) {
            return energy.cast();
        }
        return super.getCapability(cap, side);
    }

@Override
    public ITextComponent getDisplayName() {
        return new TranslationTextComponent("container.labkit.health_collector");
    }

@Nullable
    @Override
    public Container createMenu(int i, PlayerInventory playerInventory, PlayerEntity playerEntity) {
        return new HealthCollectorContainer(i, world, pos, playerInventory, playerEntity);
    }

public static enum Mode {
    	DAMAGE_HEAL,
    	PERMANENT
    }
}

I know Mode doesn't do anything, that's coming later. My goal is to damage the entity every 10 ticks, so long as the entity has more than half a heart of health, and save the amount of damage dealt to colledtedHealth.

I'm probably more excited than I should be for something so realistically minor...

31 minutes ago, BlockyPenguin said:

Also, as a sidenote, all aesthetics and nice-feeling timings aside, how effective is having a counter at decreasing server lag?

A counter is fine, but an another way of doing it would be to increase a number every tick and then use the modulo operator to compare the current value.

So for example, create a ticks field, run ++ticks every tick to increment, then do if (ticks % 10 == 0). It will return true every ten ticks.

The modulo operator is basically a division operator that returns the remainder, so comparing it to zero will only return true if the value is cleanly divisible.

It won't make a noticeable difference performance-wise, but you may find the code to be a little cleaner. It's just a personal preference thing.

• Like 1

I'm eager to learn and am prone to mistakes. Don't hesitate to tell me how I can improve.

2 minutes ago, imacatlolol said:

A counter is fine, but an another way of doing it would be to increase a number every tick and then use the modulo operator to compare the current value.

So for example, create a ticks field, run ++ticks every tick to increment, then do if (ticks % 10 == 0). It will return true every ten ticks.

The modulo operator is basically a division operator that returns the remainder, so comparing it to zero will only return true if the value is cleanly divisible.

It won't make a noticeable difference performance-wise, but you may find the code to be a little cleaner. It's just a personal preference thing.

Ah, nice! I hadn't thought about that! Thanks!

Use breakpoints and debug mode to see what's going on.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Ah, actually I know what the problem is.

5 hours ago, BlockyPenguin said:

This AABB is zero-volume and cannot contain any entities. Look at how vanilla entities like the hopper define their collection volume.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Draco18s said:

Ah, actually I know what the problem is.

This AABB is zero-volume and cannot contain any entities. Look at how vanilla entities like the hopper define their collection volume.

Ah, ok, thanks! I'l take a look now :)