Help retrieving server packet information from static event handler

Turtledove

I'm overriding vanilla sword behavior, such that the player cannot swing their sword unless a certain amount of ticks have passed, which is determined by logic done on the server. I've got everything already setup, and the packets are successfully sent to client. However, I'm not sure how to retrieve this information within my input handler class's static mouse event, from my message handler. Is there a better way of doing this than creating a static member variable inside the event handler class?

24 minutes ago, Turtledove said:

I'm overriding vanilla sword behavior, such that the player cannot swing their sword unless a certain amount of ticks have passed, which is determined by logic done on the server. I've got everything already setup, and the packets are successfully sent to client. However, I'm not sure how to retrieve this information within my input handler class's static mouse event, from my message handler. Is there a better way of doing this than creating a static member variable inside the event handler class?

Don't create a static variable. Use a capability to keep track of the cooldown per player.

Just now, kaydogz said:

Don't create a static variable. Use a capability to keep track of the cooldown per player.

I already have the cooldown set up as a capability serverside with IPlayerData, which is also where it's incremented every tick. In my server to client message handler, do I just set that variable in the same class (but on the client) and access it as normal in the event handling method? So I guess in that case there'd be a server and client version of my IPlayerData running at the same time, correct?

48 minutes ago, Turtledove said:

I already have the cooldown set up as a capability serverside with IPlayerData, which is also where it's incremented every tick. In my server to client message handler, do I just set that variable in the same class (but on the client) and access it as normal in the event handling method? So I guess in that case there'd be a server and client version of my IPlayerData running at the same time, correct?

Yes and remember you need to sync the values on each side.