Client Jar file

Zanexm

Hi all,

I have been trying to download Forge on my computer, and the only one able to open was a 1.12.2 one. The other ones come up with 'Failed to downloadversion manifest, can not find client jar URL. I am not sure what this is, or what the problem is.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Zanexm

2 minutes ago, Zanexm said:

Um is there a way to do this without admin rights

I don't think so.

If I recall correctly installations like Java would need administrator. You should contact the administrator for your computer.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

19 hours ago, DavidM said:

I don't think so.

If I recall correctly installations like Java would need administrator. You should contact the administrator for your computer.

I can't really talk to my admin now until next year. I guess I have to stick to playing older versions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Zanexm said:

The Openjdk file 

If you downloaded the .ZIP file as advised, you can extract it anywhere you wish, windows should be able to do it without extra software. You should be able to extract it into your user directory, usually C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME even without admin permissions.

34 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

If you downloaded the .ZIP file as advised, you can extract it anywhere you wish, windows should be able to do it without extra software. You should be able to extract it into your user directory, usually C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME even without admin permissions.

I've extracted it into my user files, but what exactly do I do with it? 

Now you need to find the folder the forge installer is in, and go to it with the command prompt/powershell.

To do this: open the folder, then right-click while holding shift in a blank spot (not on a file or folder within that folder). From this menu there should be open command prompt(or powershell) here.

You will need to specify the full path to your installed java. So if you extracted the openjdk zip into C:\Users\Bob and did not change any of the folder names, you would need to type in C:\Users\Bob\jdk8u252-b09-jre\bin\java.exe -jar forge_installer-press-tab-to-complete

(after typing forge, hitting tab should complete the filename for you, you can use tab completion when typing in the path to java as well.)

That should theoretically get you going.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, Ugdhar said:

Now you need to find the folder the forge installer is in, and go to it with the command prompt/powershell.

To do this: open the folder, then right-click while holding shift in a blank spot (not on a file or folder within that folder). From this menu there should be open command prompt(or powershell) here.

You will need to specify the full path to your installed java. So if you extracted the openjdk zip into C:\Users\Bob and did not change any of the folder names, you would need to type in C:\Users\Bob\jdk8u252-b09-jre\bin\java.exe -jar forge_installer-press-tab-to-complete

(after typing forge, hitting tab should complete the filename for you, you can use tab completion when typing in the path to java as well.)

That should theoretically get you going.

I followed your steps, but for some reason it is still going through the old java files, and locating the same errors. I used the command prompt and inserted in "location of forge installer" "location of java.exe file" but it keeps giving the same manifest error as the first one. 

2 hours ago, Zanexm said:

I followed your steps, but for some reason it is still going through the old java files, and locating the same errors. I used the command prompt and inserted in "location of forge installer" "location of java.exe file" but it keeps giving the same manifest error as the first one. 

Make sure you launched vanilla minecraft for the version of forge you're downloading at least once, just in case you haven't.

I would say post the new installer log from using the new java if it's still not working then.

12 hours ago, Ugdhar said:

Make sure you launched vanilla minecraft for the version of forge you're downloading at least once, just in case you haven't.

I would say post the new installer log from using the new java if it's still not working then.

When I try to launch my vanilla minecraft for any version past 1.12.2, I get a message saying 'Preparing'. I believe this has something to do with the java edition (educated guess). The installer log is https://pastebin.com/gSTVAbbF

JVM info: Oracle Corporation - 1.8.0_144 

On 5/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, LexManos said:

Update to java 8, Update 201+

You have a really old version without LetsEncrypt'd key.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

1 minute ago, Zanexm said:

I know. I cant seem to run on the java I downloaded

What are you trying? What happens when you try?

Please be as detailed as you can, "it doesn't work" doesn't give us anything to go on to help you. :)

1 minute ago, Ugdhar said:

What are you trying? What happens when you try?

Please be as detailed as you can, "it doesn't work" doesn't give us anything to go on to help you. :)

I put the code into command prompt of "location of forge file" "location of java.exe file I downloaded", but it for some reason ignores this, and runs on the old Java. It opens the forge installer fine, but it can't install the files correctly. It's as if I opened the file without using the java file, but instead by double clicking in the drive. I can't really think of much more detail to give

1 minute ago, Zanexm said:

I put the code into command prompt

Which command? Copy/paste the text in the command window (if you right-click I believe there's an option to "Mark", then enter copies) and paste it here. Or a screenshot if it's just 1 screen or less of stuff would work.

17 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

Which command? Copy/paste the text in the command window (if you right-click I believe there's an option to "Mark", then enter copies) and paste it here. Or a screenshot if it's just 1 screen or less of stuff would work.

1144867406_Screenshot(208).thumb.png.88fd6ab0121d17828e8e20dcec3fc3d8.png