[SOLVED!] [1.15.2] - Custom Walls Aren't Connecting to each other

ModMCdl

Hello, I am attempting to create a custom wall type for my mod. The model and blockstates work however, they do not connect to each other. They do connect to other valid blocks, including ones from my mod. I've looked it over, and I'm not quite sure where I'm going wrong.

My block register in my ModBlocks class (VoidaicBlocks)

public static final RegistryObject<Block> VOIDSTONE_WALL = BLOCKS.register("voidstone_wall", () -> new WallBlock(Block.Properties.from(VoidaicBlocks.VOIDSTONE.get())));

My walls.json tag in data/modid/tags/block

{
  "replace": false,
  "values": [
    "voidaicearth:voidstone_wall"
  ]
}

Attached is how they currently work in-game:

2020-04-20_18.13.31.png

Edited by ModMCdl
the problem was solved

Follow these rules when talking to me, and we'll get along fine.

1).I know Java fairly well. I don't know as much about modding. They are not the same, don't compare them.

2). I consider myself to always be learning. I make mistakes, you make mistakes. Who doesn't?

3). Insult me, and I will leave the thread. I have a real life, I don't have time to throw petty insults in a Minecraft Modding forum.

ModMCdl - Co-Founder and Director of Design for Artemis Game Studios

5 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

I believe you need to put your walls.json in data/minecraft/tags/blocks

The "replace": value in the vanilla default walls.json file is false, so it should recognize my own tag file over its own. It also won't let me add/edit files in the minecraft jar either way.

Edited by ModMCdl

1).I know Java fairly well. I don't know as much about modding. They are not the same, don't compare them.

2). I consider myself to always be learning. I make mistakes, you make mistakes. Who doesn't?

3). Insult me, and I will leave the thread. I have a real life, I don't have time to throw petty insults in a Minecraft Modding forum.

9 minutes ago, ModMCdl said:

The "replace": value in the vanilla default walls.json file is false, so it should recognize my own tag file over its own. It also won't let me add/edit files in the minecraft jar either way.

MadHatAK is correct that you create data/minecraft/tags/blocks in your resources folder and add it there.

That's how datapacks override vanilla stuff.

Making a walls tag in your mod just creates your own walls tag with only your walls in it.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MadHatAK said:

In your development environment, /data/minecraft/tags/blocks add your walls AND what minecraft has in their JSON. I had a similar problem and, this fixed it.

12 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

MadHatAK is correct that you create data/minecraft/tags/blocks in your resources folder and add it there.

That's how datapacks override vanilla stuff.

Making a walls tag in your mod just creates your own walls tag with only your walls in it.

Aha, so this worked! Now my only concern is that if another mod has a walls.json tag, if they use this same method will it override my own, since my "replace": tag is also false? Or am I safe?

7 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

As far as I know unless things start setting replace to true everything should play nice

Awesome thanks!