[1.15.2] Multiblock structure approaches

SSilvamc

I'm trying to come up with a way to create multiblock structures where a controller block will be notified when any of the slave blocks in the structure is broken. Is it possible to do this using vanilla blocks as slaves? I've read a bit of the Tinkers' Construct approach to multiblocks, but part of its method uses TileEntities for every slave block. This means that it wouldn't be possible to use blocks without tile entities in the structure using this approach (for instance, using wooden planks as part of the building).

To be more precise in what I'm looking for, I'm trying to transform buildings into multiblock structures. Inside the building there must be a controller block. Whenever any of the blocks of the structure is broken, the structure will lose health (which I guess would be stored in the TileEntity) and the broken block will come back to its place. When the structure's health reaches zero, it will be removed.

What are some other approaches to multiblock structures that could work? What other mods use multiblock structures? Do any use vanilla blocks as slaves?

Thanks

Just now, CHEESEBOT314 said:

I would suggest looking into the Patchouli by Vazkii which provides a multiblock solution you are looking for.

Doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. Though this allows vanilla multiblocks and visualization, it doesn't include a master-slave relation between blocks.

Howdy

I think it would be possible to do this using one of the BlockEvents, eg NeighborNotifyEvent or BreakEvent.

i.e. you subscribe to BreakEvent; when any block is broken, your code checks to see if it was within a multiblock structure (eg - look for controller tile entities within a given radius).  If so, the controller  "check your structure components, they have been changed".

-TGG

Just now, TheGreyGhost said:

Howdy

I think it would be possible to do this using one of the BlockEvents, eg NeighborNotifyEvent or BreakEvent.

i.e. you subscribe to BreakEvent; when any block is broken, your code checks to see if it was within a multiblock structure (eg - look for controller tile entities within a given radius).  If so, the controller  "check your structure components, they have been changed".

-TGG

That's great! I'll try it out.