Decoding GenLayer -- Does anyone have a good grasp of the classes?

Litigator

I'm attempting to do some heavy world generation modding with regard to the Gen Layer Classes. So far I have worked out some things, but there are just so many variable that it is really impossible to try and understand fully what is going on.

Currently the way minecraft generates the world through gen layer seems to be a zooming fractal function. This was kind of explained almost a year ago now, in this http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=438.0, but through searching I have not found any more information on the procedure. Personally I'm looking to make layers of rings of biomes which would make interesting island terrain. Eg Ocean >(Inside the ocean) Coast >(Inside the coast) Hinterlands>(Inside the hinterlands) Highlands etc.

Does anyone have a good grasp of the genlayer system? Or can explain it any further than in the thread I previously linked?

Thanks

I've been looking at this stuff also, and as someone who has really only learned java by modding minecraft, so maybe you will have more luck figuring it out, but i would take a look at GenLayerShore that seems to be a little of what you are looking to do, basically seems to specify the edges of the biome as a different biome.

Yeah you are right about shore it sets the rules for the border biomes beaches and x hills edges etc. I've also worked out each time a gen layer zoom is called it expands everything above it by x4. So for example if you called it twice after add mushroom island, mushroom islands would be 16x bigger, along with the whole world too. The confusing parts begin inside the classes where it's unclear whether an int is just a number used in the maths or whether its referring to a biome Id. Often lots of zeros refer to the ocean biome as its index is 0