Adding NBT to item

Ronaldi2001

I am trying to add NBT to my item, I want it to store the int tankAir but I can't figure it out.. How would I go about adding this to the item.

package ronaldi2001.moreitems.Items;

import java.util.List;

import javax.annotation.Nullable;

import net.minecraft.client.util.ITooltipFlag;
import net.minecraft.entity.Entity;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.util.text.ITextComponent;
import net.minecraft.util.text.TextFormatting;
import net.minecraft.util.text.TranslationTextComponent;
import net.minecraft.world.World;
import ronaldi2001.moreitems.MoreItems;

public class AirTank extends Item{

public int playerAir;
	boolean Swimming;
	public int tankAir = 0;
	public int addAir;
	public int MaxtankAir;
	boolean active;

public AirTank(String name, int Max, int Add) {

super(new Item.Properties()
				.group(MoreItems.moreitemsitems)
				.maxStackSize(1)
				);

setRegistryName(name);
				MaxtankAir = Max;
				addAir = Add;
   }

@Override
	public void inventoryTick(ItemStack stack, World worldIn, Entity player, int itemSlot, boolean isSelected) {

playerAir = player.getAir();
		Swimming = player.isInWater();

if(Swimming == false && playerAir == 300) {

active = false;

if(tankAir != MaxtankAir) {

tankAir = tankAir + addAir;	
			}

} else {

if(playerAir < 240 && tankAir > 0) {

tankAir--;
			player.setAir(player.getAir() + 1);
			active = true;
			}

if(tankAir == 0) {
			active = false;
			}
		}
	}

@Override
	public void addInformation(ItemStack itemStack, @Nullable World world, List<ITextComponent> tooltip, ITooltipFlag flag) {

tooltip.add(new TranslationTextComponent(TextFormatting.YELLOW + "Air: " + String.valueOf(Math.round((tankAir * 100) / MaxtankAir)) + "%"));

}

public boolean hasEffect(ItemStack par1ItemStack){
		return active;
	}
}

~ Ronaldi2001

20 minutes ago, Ronaldi2001 said:

public int playerAir;
    boolean Swimming;
    public int tankAir = 0;
    public int addAir;
    public int MaxtankAir;
    boolean active;

You can't do this.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Items are singletons. You must store tankAir via NBT in an ItemStack.

Use ItemStack#setTag.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

53 minutes ago, Ronaldi2001 said:

What do you mean I can't do this? Like I can't store tankAir to not?

All of those fields cannot be used. Items are singletons.

Problematic Code #9

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Cough:

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Items are singletons. You must store tankAir via NBT in an ItemStack.

Use ItemStack#setTag.

1 minute ago, Ronaldi2001 said:

So how would I make that just an item?

You can't Item's are singletons. But there is something that stores Items which is not a singleton. It's called an ItemStack. You'll notice a lot of methods take ItemStack as a parameter you can use ItemStack::setTag and ItemStack::getTag to store stack based information.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

6 hours ago, TheGreyGhost said:

Hi

Here's a working example of how to add NBT to an item, might give you some inspiration on how to do it for your air tank.

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample/

mbe12, mbe11

-TGG

Thank you!! This worked, one more question. Is there anyway to carry over NBT data with a crafting recipe? I have different tiers of Air Tanks and when crafting a lower one to get a higher one I want the air to carry over. I don't know if that is even possible??

~ Ronaldi2001

Hi Ronaldi

Yes it's possible, although I've never done it.

You can add your own crafting recipe code to the game (by implementing IRecipe or ICraftingRecipe) which treats the NBT appropriately.  Based on a quick glance at vanilla, you may need a corresponding IRecipeSerializer as well, to handle reading a recipe json.

I don't know details of how to register a new recipe type, I suspect it will be the same style as

@SubscribeEvent public static void onBlocksRegistration(final RegistryEvent.Register<Block> blockRegisterEvent) {

but for RegistryEvent.Register<IRecipeSerializer<?>>

There is some bare bones forge docs here about recipes, it might have some extra clues although there's also a good chance it's out of date unfortunately.

https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/1.14.x/utilities/recipes/

-TGG