NoSuchMethodError ByteBuffer.rewind()

fallOut015

I'm amidst porting my modding workspace over to my new laptop, but whenever I try to run minecraft from the runClient in Eclipse, it gives me the following error:

Description: Initializing game

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.nio.ByteBuffer.rewind()Ljava/nio/ByteBuffer;
    at net.minecraft.client.MainWindow.loadIcon(MainWindow.java:188) ~[forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.MainWindow.setWindowIcon(MainWindow.java:152) ~[forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.<init>(Minecraft.java:380) ~[forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:141) ~[forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_241] {}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_241] {}
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_241] {}
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_241] {}
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:55) ~[forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:37) [modlauncher-5.0.0-milestone.4.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:54) [modlauncher-5.0.0-milestone.4.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:72) [modlauncher-5.0.0-milestone.4.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:81) [modlauncher-5.0.0-milestone.4.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:65) [modlauncher-5.0.0-milestone.4.jar:?] {}
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:102) [forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {}

I have downloaded java-1.8.0_241, I set up my environment variables, ran the gradle files, etc. 

Everyone's telling me not to use Java 9, but I'm pretty sure I'm using Java 8 (see above line)

If I try the more recent versions of Java I'm told that they're not supported. 

When I check the declaration for ByteBuffer I can see that there is a declaration for .rewind()

(I'm also getting a Resource Leak warning at the generated         LOGGER.info("Got game settings {}", event.getMinecraftSupplier().get().gameSettings);              in the doClientStuff(FMLClientSetupEvent) )

Here's the full crash report

Spoiler

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// Why did you do that?

Time: 4/8/20 1:07 PM

at net.minecraft.client.MainWindow.loadIcon(MainWindow.java:188) ~[forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.MainWindow.setWindowIcon(MainWindow.java:152) ~[forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.<init>(Minecraft.java:380) ~[forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:141) ~[forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_241] {}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_241] {}
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_241] {}
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_241] {}
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:55) ~[forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:37) [modlauncher-5.0.0-milestone.4.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:54) [modlauncher-5.0.0-milestone.4.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:72) [modlauncher-5.0.0-milestone.4.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:81) [modlauncher-5.0.0-milestone.4.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:65) [modlauncher-5.0.0-milestone.4.jar:?] {}
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:102) [forge-1.15.2-31.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {}

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Thread: Render thread
Stacktrace:
    at net.minecraft.client.MainWindow.loadIcon(MainWindow.java:188)
    at net.minecraft.client.MainWindow.setWindowIcon(MainWindow.java:152)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.<init>(Minecraft.java:380)

-- Initialization --
Details:
Stacktrace:
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:141)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:55)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:37)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:54)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:72)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:81)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:65)
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:102)

-- System Details --
Details:
    Minecraft Version: 1.15.2
    Minecraft Version ID: 1.15.2
    Operating System: Windows 10 (amd64) version 10.0
    Java Version: 1.8.0_241, Oracle Corporation
    Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
    Memory: 1102069064 bytes (1051 MB) / 1605369856 bytes (1531 MB) up to 3817865216 bytes (3641 MB)
    CPUs: 4
    JVM Flags: 2 total; -XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump -Xmx4096m
    Launched Version: MOD_DEV
    Backend library: LWJGL version 3.2.2 build 10
    Backend API: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 GL version 4.4.0 - Build 21.20.16.4727, Intel
    GL Caps: 
    Using VBOs: Yes
    Is Modded: Definitely; Client brand changed to 'forge'
    Type: Client (map_client.txt)
    CPU: <unknown>

it would really help if you knew what was causing this error

thanks

latest.log crash-2020-04-08_13.07.31-client.txt

The problem is that you setup your workspace with java 9. And there is a issue with the java compiler that produces incorrect method references when targeting j8 with j9.

Just use j9 in your dev env, or clean your cache and rebuild with j8.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

On 4/8/2020 at 3:17 PM, LexManos said:

The problem is that you setup your workspace with java 9. And there is a issue with the java compiler that produces incorrect method references when targeting j8 with j9.

Just use j9 in your dev env, or clean your cache and rebuild with j8.

is that in Java Compiler > JDK Compliance? Because under that for me it says 1.8

It's because you have JDK 9+ installed and set as your JAVA_HOME.

But like I said you can work around it by using JDK 9+ in your dev env and just targeting source/target compatibility to 8 in your build script.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.

Seems like you're using the Forge MDK 31.1.0. I had the exact same issue with it, even if I made sure to correclty setup my paths and workspace (JAVA_HOME, JRE_HOME and Path). I didn't even have Java 9 anywhere on my PC. I just went for the latest Forge MDK update (31.1.41) and it worked just fine after reinitializing my workspace (deleting the .metadata folder in your workspace emplacement, or directly from Eclipse).

Hope that can help :)

The forge version wouldn't change this, you just 'fixed' it by using a different Forge version which wasnt cached yet. So it rebuilt it with the correct java version.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the exact same error.

forge-1.15.2-31.1.0-mdk
IntelliJ IDEA 2020.1 (Community Edition)

on both AdoptOpenJDK jdk-8.0.252.09-hotspot and Oracle jdk1.8.0_251.

But it works on AdoptOpenJDK jdk-11.0.7.10-hotspot when I set the project language level to 8. I checked JAVA_HOME in the windows environment variables before building. I ran gradle clean before building, invalidatec caches and restarted IntelliJ and even created entirely new project. Always made sure SDK is set properly in the IntelliJ Project Structure menu. Same result. Doesn't work with jdk 8s, works on jdk11. Not sure what I'm missing.

I do not have JDK9 installed anywhere and never had. I do have another (older) Oracle openjdk version of 11 and latest version of Oracle 14. With 14 it crashes on something different which leads me believe setting JDK in the IntelliJ Project Structure menu does set it properly for building but perhaps that's something different?

Full crash just to be sure but it's pretty much same as Fallout's:

Spoiler

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// My bad.

Time: 18.4.2020 21:44

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_251] {}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_251] {}
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_251] {}
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_251] {}

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Thread: Render thread
Stacktrace:
    at net.minecraft.client.MainWindow.loadIcon(MainWindow.java:188)
    at net.minecraft.client.MainWindow.setWindowIcon(MainWindow.java:152)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.<init>(Minecraft.java:380)

-- Initialization --
Details:
Stacktrace:
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:141)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:55)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:37)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:54)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:72)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:81)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:65)
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:102)

-- System Details --
Details:
    Minecraft Version: 1.15.2
    Minecraft Version ID: 1.15.2
    Operating System: Windows 10 (amd64) version 10.0
    Java Version: 1.8.0_251, Oracle Corporation
    Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
    Memory: 351025712 bytes (334 MB) / 978321408 bytes (933 MB) up to 1905262592 bytes (1817 MB)
    CPUs: 4
    JVM Flags: 1 total; -XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump
    Launched Version: MOD_DEV
    Backend library: LWJGL version 3.2.2 build 10
    Backend API: GeForce GT 545/PCIe/SSE2 GL version 4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.73, NVIDIA Corporation
    GL Caps: 
    Using VBOs: Yes
    Is Modded: Definitely; Client brand changed to 'forge'
    Type: Client (map_client.txt)
    CPU: <unknown>

Simple math tells us that J11, and J14 are indeed >= J9. So it'll have the same issue.

And the solution will be the same.

Either way, update to the latest Forge version I added a workaround for java's stupidness.

I'm not sure how to state this more plainly but:
Doesn't work when compiling with JDK 8.
Works when compiling with JDK 11.

At least from what I can tell (making sure correct environment variables are set, making sure correct options are set in IntelliJ, making sure to clean everything before rebuilding). That's what has me confused. Is there any way to make sure what JDK the code was actually built with (log during build process or inspecting resulting files somehow)? I'll try to google around some more myself as well and try few things. Maybe I'm missing something and it's actually compiling with 11 when I think it's compiling with 8 and vice versa but that seems unlikely.

Thanks for the workaround, I'll give it a try.

If you are getting this error then the minecraft source is being compiled with Java 9+

There is no other possible option.

You can add standard java code to dump the current jvm version in the build process if you want to.

But as I said, just update your damn version of forge and itll be fixed no matter what version of java you use to compile. As I added a workaround for this specific thing. https://github.com/MinecraftForge/ForgeFlower/commit/4ac0f021a09f3f4e77da2f80f37f19409979b915

https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/commit/5a552b9f8da0af40f2becc5b1657c537cb9d3bb3

First things first. I tried the latest forge mdk (1.15.2 - 31.1.46) and it works.

I felt like poking around it a little bit more to understand what I was doing wrong, so I tried few other things.

I uninstalled all JDKs I had except one version of the adoptopenjdk 8 (tried jdk8u252-b09, jdk8u242-b08 and jdk8u232-b09 and settled on the last one for the remainder of my tests). The problem persisted.

I tried it with eclipse instead of intellij (clean sepparate folders were used for eclipse tests). The problem persisted.

I tried running it with these versions of forge mdks:
forge-1.15.2-31.0.0-mdk
forge-1.15.2-31.0.11-mdk
forge-1.15.2-31.0.15-mdk
forge-1.15.2-31.0.19-mdk
forge-1.15.2-31.1.0-mdk
forge-1.15.2-31.1.1-mdk

forge-1.15.2-31.1.5-mdk
forge-1.15.2-31.1.12-mdk
forge-1.15.2-31.1.25-mdk
forge-1.15.2-31.1.44-mdk
forge-1.15.2-31.1.46-mdk

It worked on all versions except the 31.1.0. I used the exact same steps to create the projects, always in clean folders. No idea what could be affecting it since the build configuration seem to be the same for instance between 31.1.0 and 31.1.1.