Is there an updated version/alternative to CTM or Forge Multi-layer to make solid blocks with SPECIFIC portions as transparent?

MisterSirCode

Well, okay, i finally set up all these lovely items and such...

But they arent perfect... as you can see, there is no such thing as transparency or light. Only bland textures with some "CUTOUT" to allow for metal nets on computer parts:

2020-04-06_05_47_24.thumb.png.050477c041347b46f35aad04b94803a2.png

And also other things:

2020-04-06_05_45_45.thumb.png.2eaa864d9e86f75f32fa0d1985fa764b.png

My question is exactly as what I have in the title. Is there an alternative method to allow two different renderTypes in 1 model like you can do with Forge Multi Layer, or with CTM on 1.12.2

CTM also supports emmisive textures, which I would love to use (I want to make the flashing HDD lights glow)
However, all this stuff is ancient, and CTM is only updated up to 1.12

Is there a newer way to allow a "TRANSPARENT" renderType on a single glass element inside a model, while keeping the "CUTOUT" or "SOLID" portions of the rest of the model. Using transparent rendertype on solid materials gives nasty render errors and bad results.

Please I really need feedback with this. Ive tried improving things as much as I can, doing lots of research, I asked a similar question earlier with terrible methods, crappy description of issues and such, I didnt even make a good screenshot. Anyways. Does anyone know anything about this?

PS: I suck at java, and I rely a lot on MCreator to generate items for me, the rest is done manually with Gradle and my tools of course, IE blockbench, RPW, etc. So I could use some programming help if required, but really Ill take any solution.

Im just sick of using nets... I want something more good looking.

2020-04-06_05_54_06.thumb.png.2d5b6d876a02f13fb10c08331e189454.png

5 hours ago, MisterSirCode said:

Is there a newer way to allow a "TRANSPARENT" renderType on a single glass element inside a model, while keeping the "CUTOUT" or "SOLID" portions of the rest of the model. Using transparent rendertype on solid materials gives nasty render errors and bad results.

When you call RenderTypeLookup.setRenderLayer which takes a predicate. I'm not sure exactly what this is used for but you can allow for multiple render types. Have you tried using the translucent render type. What happens when you just use that one.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Hi

One way that I know for sure will work is to use a TileEntityRenderer.

This has its own render code so you can render whichever textures you want, in whichever order you want, and also control the shading directly if necessary.

An example of how to use a TER is here (mbe21)

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

Render the opaque first, using SOLID, then render the translucent using TRANSPARENT.

-TGG

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2020 at 11:51 AM, Animefan8888 said:

When you call RenderTypeLookup.setRenderLayer which takes a predicate. I'm not sure exactly what this is used for but you can allow for multiple render types. Have you tried using the translucent render type. What happens when you just use that one.

Using the transparent render type is useful only for alpha pixels.

If you use it on a solid block with multiple parts, you can see THROUGH those arms. Like what I mean is that you can see the shadows of the other parts of the blocks through each other. Its a really wierd graphical error thats hard to explain on text. Also It doesnt render shadows correctly. (IE: a computer block with arms and motherboards and peices in it like my current model.)

Can you find an example of the setRenderLayer method you mentioned

Edited by MisterSirCode

4 hours ago, MisterSirCode said:

Can you find an example of the setRenderLayer method you mentioned

There isn't one in vanilla or within forge that uses two RenderTypes. And I'm not gonna scour github and other source sites looking for it. Did you test the usage of the method?

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

4 hours ago, Animefan8888 said:

There isn't one in vanilla or within forge that uses two RenderTypes. And I'm not gonna scour github and other source sites looking for it. Did you test the usage of the method?

I honestly dont even know where to use it, I just started using Java recently

3 hours ago, MisterSirCode said:

I just started using Java recently

You should really learn Java before trying to make a mod.

3 hours ago, MisterSirCode said:

I honestly dont even know where to use it,

You should call the method in the FMLClientSetupEvent