Need Help with Mods

VulpixUsedEmber

So after being told flatly to just update to a newer version of MC from 1.12.2 if I want help and having my topic closed, I suppose I'll try taking that admins advice.

Would anyone be able to update a list of about 100 mods from different authors from 1.12.2 to a version this forum hasn't obsolesced the knowledge about?

Maybe the name of the site should be updated to reflect it's intent.

Edited by VulpixUsedEmber
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, VulpixUsedEmber said:

Would anyone be able to update a list of about 100 mods from different authors from 1.12.2

I doubt anyone would want to. Why not wait for their creators to update them.

6 minutes ago, VulpixUsedEmber said:

to a version this forum hasn't obsolesced the knowledge about?

It's not that the version has become obsolete. It just can you imagine having to support 10 different versions of a codebase that has been heavily modified over each version? Like if there is a bug found in Minecraft 1.15.2 at this point do you think Mojang is going to release 1.15.3 in order to fix that bug or just fix it in 1.16+ when it comes out?

Also you can easily find many resources for 1.12.2 out there as it was the primary version for Minecraft Forge for a long time.

Or even outside of Minecraft would you expect Microsoft to offer support for older versions of Windows like Windows XP even though they have explicitly discontinued support for it.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

It's not that the version has become obsolete. It just can you imagine having to support 10 different versions of a codebase that has been heavily modified over each version? Like if there is a bug found in Minecraft 1.15.2 at this point do you think Mojang is going to release 1.15.3 in order to fix that bug or just fix it in 1.16+ when it comes out?

Isn't that what thread tags are for? I'd imagine someone capable of confidently answering any modding question would have a pretty good idea what works in what versions, especially when the version I'm asking about:

was the primary version for Minecraft Forge for a long time

Why set a flat rule to refuse those questions rather than leave it to your knowledgeable members to decide how to handle the questions? Make a forum rule to tag your version, etc. If it was once possible to get help with 1.12.2 here, and that knowledge is still being shared and used widely by the player base, I just don't get why that existing knowledge is being taken away from public sources.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VulpixUsedEmber said:

I just don't get why that existing knowledge is being taken away from public sources.

It's really not. It's just not supported on this forum anymore. There are other forums where you can go for modding help.

4 minutes ago, VulpixUsedEmber said:

Make a forum rule to tag your version, etc.

Yes because everyone reads the rules or the appropriate information before posting on a forum. Also how would you enforce that? Would you have a warning system? Just make more work for the very few mods that this forum has?

4 minutes ago, VulpixUsedEmber said:

I'd imagine someone capable of confidently answering any modding question would have a pretty good idea what works in what versions, especially when the version I'm asking about:

Sure you can say this is true, but imagine not touching a large code base like Minecraft/Minecraft Forge(specifically pre 1.14) for a few months perhaps years in the cases of 1.8.9 then being asked a question about those versions? Honestly my answer may be a bit spotty. And I may lead you in the absolute wrong direction.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

10 minutes ago, VulpixUsedEmber said:

Why set a flat rule to refuse those questions rather than leave it to your knowledgeable members to decide how to handle the questions?

Because people still ask questions about 1.7.10 and no one fucking knows anymore. Forge, as a software platform, has the authority to say "we aren't going to support that version any more (on our forums, git hub, etc), its too old." 1.12 was dominant for a long time because getting Forge updated for 1.14 took a long time, but it was absolutely worth it. A lot of old kludge was cleaned up and things were made 5000% better.

You can still go elsewhere for help, but elsewhere is not here. We also don't know where elsewhere is because we don't support elsewhere.

Edited by Draco18s
  • Like 2

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Well I'll take all those points in mind, and I don't mean to disrespect your forum, but despite all the reasons forge is better now and why it makes sense you don't support 1.12.2, updating is not an option for me unfortunately. Maybe one day, major, indispensable mods for me like Tough as Nails will be updated, but I guess I'm just shit out of luck until then.

One last question: You guys keep telling me about all the other forums where I could get this help; how do they manage to support modding 1.12.2? If that's advice you're giving out, you must believe it's possible to support modding 1.12.2. Just a curious thought.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VulpixUsedEmber said:

how do they manage to support modding 1.12.2?

People who don't want to move onto the newer versions because all the big mods have yet to be updated. Similar to you except they have been doing it for a while. It's the same for 1.8.9. A decent portion of the community that didn't like the combat update refuses to update and people still make mods for 1.8.9 they don't get support here.

Sorry, my question wasn't WHY do they support it, but HOW. I'm being given the impression it's somehow untenable to provide support for that version here, but also being told that support for that version can be found elsewhere. They must have some method of accomplishing this that this forum doesn't, otherwise why wouldn't their method be applicable here? And if you can't say how reliable these other resources would be, should you be giving that out as advice for my issue? It'd seem more helpful to just tell me to stop working on the mod at that point. At the same time, if you CAN say how reliable they are, that would bring me back to wondering why the information isn't available here then.

Edited by VulpixUsedEmber

"How" is by "not upgrading." By continuing to mod for the version that they like they continue to know how to mod the version that they like.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

I'm not asking how anyone is capable of modding for 1.12.2, I'm asking how it's the case that there are other forums which offer support for questions about modding 1.12.2 if it's not tenable to continue to offer that support as you guys are saying. Am I being sent to another forum to ask a question you're saying can't reliably be answered under the pretense that another forum could reliably answer my question? It's just confusing, that's all. We can't really get anywhere with this conversation given the forum rules anyways, I just figured I'd satisfy my curiosity about the reasoning behind the "no 1.12.2 support" rule.

• Like 1

What is it that you think "support" is?

Edited by Draco18s

Just now, VulpixUsedEmber said:

In the context of a forum, which we're in, it means some attempt to advise or inform in response to a need, or "question". It could also mean physically sustain in some way, it's a polysemous word.

Sure, it could mean that other thing, but you're right. Its advising, informing, and answering questions.

Now, what is it that "we" (meaning people like me, Diesieben07, Animefan) need to have in order to do that thing?

1 minute ago, VulpixUsedEmber said:

Misanalogy. Dos Microsoft support Windows 7? That's 1.12.2.

No, they don't:

image.png.81b87501d85e587bce6d9d6d29896707.png

Just now, Draco18s said:

Sure, it could mean that other thing, but you're right. Its advising, informing, and answering questions.

Now, what is it that "we" (meaning people like me, Diesieben07, Animefan) need to have in order to do that thing?

A clearly formed question offering as much information as possible. If my question is pertaining to forge modding in 1.12.2, you know which version to tailor an answer to. If you don't have the knowledge because versions have changed, then you don't have a reason to reply to the thread. None of that explains a flat rule against asking the question to me.

Just now, Draco18s said:

No, they don't:

image.png.81b87501d85e587bce6d9d6d29896707.png

Is this meant to disprove my point? I wasn't saying Microsoft or anyone does or should support all versions of their software, only that the offer of support should match the need or desire for it from the related community. Maybe we disagree, but I think 1.12.2 has more of a precedent for continued forum support than Windows 7. The nature of each piece of software and what an update actually means is very different as well. Does Firefox no longer work on the newest version of Windows?

Just now, VulpixUsedEmber said:

If you don't have the knowledge because versions have changed, then you don't have a reason to reply to the thread. None of that explains a flat rule against asking the question to me.

There you go.

In order to answer your question we need the knowledge in order to do so.

1.12 is over 2 years old. Two and a half next week.

Some of us haven't modded for 1.12 in a year. We no longer have that knowledge.

As for the "flat rule" the flat rule is "current version (1.15) and one previous version (1.14)" and has been true for a lot longer than a year. Even going as far back to 1.10 this was true. Sure that should have been 1.10 and 1.8.9, but 1.7.10 was popular enough and had been around long enough that there were still people who could answer questions (and virtually no one modded for 1.8.9 in comparison).

Locking

• Like 1

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]