[1.15.2] Items and Blocks Cannot Locate Textures

Techmo

Hello!

I am a fairly experienced programmer in other languages, but virtually a noob to minecraft modding. I'm getting the hang of it, but have hit a bit of a road block. I have some items that, despite their textures being very obviously existent, they refuse to show anything ingame other than the pink and black "no texture". I have no idea why it's doing this, as it SHOULD be all defined as far as I can see. Nothing is missing. I am aware that at this point in time the mod doesn't really do anything apart from add some blocks and items, it is still a work in progress in it's early stages.

Mod Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/rasmac9qa2qvgnq/TutorialMod.zip/file

The issue is that despite the fact that "tutorial_ore" works perfectly fine without a care in the world, "silver_ore" cannot find it's texture for some reason. Infact, silver_ore, lithium_ore, silver_ingot and lithium_ingot cannot find their textures. I do not understand what I've missed. They spawn into the world perfectly fine, and they pop up in the creative tab "Scientific Advancements", but it just refuses to find it's texture. I've been working on this for about a week now, and I have decided that I cannot do this on my own. I need a fresh set of eyes to find out what I've missed. My project cannot continue until I have found what the issue is.

As far as I can see, the items/blocks that cannot find their textures SHOULD be almost identical copies of tutorial_block and tutorial_item, which work perfectly fine. I really cannot figure this one out, and any help is appreciated

Thanking you in advance,

Techmo

Edited by Techmo
Zip file didn't upload, so I just added a mediafire download link

30 minutes ago, Techmo said:

Hello!

I am a fairly experienced programmer in other languages, but virtually a noob to minecraft modding. I'm getting the hang of it, but have hit a bit of a road block. I have some items that, despite their textures being very obviously existent, they refuse to show anything ingame other than the pink and black "no texture". I have no idea why it's doing this, as it SHOULD be all defined as far as I can see. Nothing is missing. I am aware that at this point in time the mod doesn't really do anything apart from add some blocks and items, it is still a work in progress in it's early stages.

Mod Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/rasmac9qa2qvgnq/TutorialMod.zip/file

The issue is that despite the fact that "tutorial_ore" works perfectly fine without a care in the world, "silver_ore" cannot find it's texture for some reason. Infact, silver_ore, lithium_ore, silver_ingot and lithium_ingot cannot find their textures. I do not understand what I've missed. They spawn into the world perfectly fine, and they pop up in the creative tab "Scientific Advancements", but it just refuses to find it's texture. I've been working on this for about a week now, and I have decided that I cannot do this on my own. I need a fresh set of eyes to find out what I've missed. My project cannot continue until I have found what the issue is.

As far as I can see, the items/blocks that cannot find their textures SHOULD be almost identical copies of tutorial_block and tutorial_item, which work perfectly fine. I really cannot figure this one out, and any help is appreciated

Thanking you in advance,

Techmo

First , what program do you use , intellij or eclipse ide?

25 minutes ago, Techmo said:

I use eclipse. I wasnt aware there was any difference sorry.

Ok .. If you are using eclipse , go on your project folder and search for "bin":

Untitled.png.590bae8ad00f60c20a2eb111332dfff5.png

Now check if you have any resources in your bin folder , like blockstates , models, textures(.json or .png files) ..

That is so bizarre. I do see the mistake I've made. So then question of the day becomes: "Being that I've never touched the "bin" folder before in my life, how have some of the texture files made it in there in the first place when I never put them there? Because that is the remaining mystery"

2 minutes ago, Techmo said:

That is so bizarre. I do see the mistake I've made. So then question of the day becomes: "Being that I've never touched the "bin" folder before in my life, how have some of the texture files made it in there in the first place when I never put them there? Because that is the remaining mystery"

The bin folder its like your "run mod folder" but separatly !

I have a temporary solution for you: try to copy your src resources folders in your bin.main folder

I wash having the same problem , and the only permanent solution that I can tell you about is to switch eclipse with intellij, because you have to copy your resources to that bin folder evry time you add something new !

Hope that helps you! 

Thanks so much for your help! I've already got everything working the way I want it in eclipse, so I might just make a python file that deletes the contents of the bin file, then just repopulates it with the resources from the "src" folder. It's like 10 minutes of coding for me, not even, so I'll just do that.

To anyone that reads this like a year down the line, the solution is to delete the contents of the "bin" file, then put the contents of your "src" file into your "bin" file.

Thanks for your help Wintersky20, and I hope you have a wonderful day!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Techmo said:

Thanks so much for your help! I've already got everything working the way I want it in eclipse, so I might just make a python file that deletes the contents of the bin file, then just repopulates it with the resources from the "src" folder. It's like 10 minutes of coding for me, not even, so I'll just do that.

To anyone that reads this like a year down the line, the solution is to delete the contents of the "bin" file, then put the contents of your "src" file into your "bin" file.

Thanks for your help Wintersky20, and I hope you have a wonderful day!

I'm glad I was able to help you 

Have a wonderful day too!

1 hour ago, Techmo said:

I use eclipse. I wasnt aware there was any difference sorry.

There isn't much of a difference other than setting up Gradle.

However Eclipse does not automatically refresh project files when they are changed on disk.

32 minutes ago, Wintersky20 said:

I wash having the same problem , and the only permanent solution that I can tell you about is to switch eclipse with intellij, because you have to copy your resources to that bin folder evry time you add something new !

You don't have to. If you manually changed something on disk (outside of Eclipse), you can refresh the project files to publish the new changes.

14 minutes ago, Techmo said:

This won't be necessary.

Simply right click in the files viewer in Eclipse and click "Refresh".

Edited by DavidM
  • Thanks 1

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

There isn't much of a difference other than setting up Gradle.

However Eclipse does not automatically refresh project files when they are changed on disk.

You don't have to. If you manually changed something on disk (outside of Eclipse), you can refresh the project files to publish the new changes.

This won't be necessary.

Simply right click in the files viewer in Eclipse and click "Refresh".

Actually I was trying this , and did no work for me !

The only permanent solution that I found , as I said previously is to switch eclipse with intellij ..

Or , an solution that I don't tryed is to update the eclipse and gradle editor , but i dont think this solves the problem!

And @DavidM, thanks for reminding me to update my eclipse and intellij , you rock !

Yep, for literally anything else, hitting refresh does solve it. BUT, the only exception seems to be the textures folder. It will refresh everything except "bin/main/assets/YOURMODNAME/textures" folder for some reason. I would presume it's either a bug, or a piece of code that was missed somehow in development. Easy fix though

As for a permanant solution, I don't really need one. I got to run a python file every time I build the project, as it sorts out some things like transparancy on certain images (Filtered out only pixels with the exact value of 255,255,255. 255,255,254 will be left as white for example), as well as doing mod backups and stuff. SO, I just added a tiny bit of code to the end of the file that copies across the folder to how it SHOULD be. Problem solved. As it runs every single time I make a file-based change, it acts like my own customised permanent solution

I love mixing different languages together in a giant frankenstein mess that somehow works. Makes for a fun challange for someone like me that knows so many languages

Edited by Techmo

8 minutes ago, Techmo said:

Yep, for literally anything else, hitting refresh does solve it. BUT, the only exception seems to be the textures folder. It will refresh everything except "bin/main/assets/YOURMODNAME/textures" folder for some reason. I would presume it's either a bug, or a piece of code that was missed somehow in development. Easy fix though

As for a permanant solution, I don't really need one. I got to run a python file every time I build the project, as it sorts out some things like transparancy on certain images (Filtered out only pixels with the exact value of 255,255,255. 255,255,254 will be left as white for example), as well as doing mod backups and stuff. SO, I just added a tiny bit of code to the end of the file that copies across the folder to how it SHOULD be. Problem solved. As it runs every single time I make a file-based change, it acts like my own customised permanent solution

This is a good fix , auto-running  a python file to copy the file from a location to another !

You give me an idea for the future if i want to use eclipse and still has this bug !

Right now , intellij ultimate is enough for me !

By the way , updating eclipse and gradle editor dos not solve the problem, I just tried! 

1 hour ago, Wintersky20 said:

Actually I was trying this , and did no work for me !

I have never encountered that situation. That sounds very weird.

Are you sure that you've selected a directory superior to the texture directory before refreshing?

The refresh function only refreshes the selected directory and all subdirectories of it (unless there is nothing selected, in which case I think it will update all project files).

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I have never encountered that situation. That sounds very weird.

Are you sure that you've selected a directory superior to the texture directory before refreshing?

The refresh function only refreshes the selected directory and all subdirectories of it (unless there is nothing selected, in which case I think it will update all project files).

I think this is a bug from the Gradle Editor !

I mean , in 1.12 , I don't encounter this type of problems because was no need for an internal plugin like gradle editor 

Then , 1.13 come out , and starts to get wanki!

On that note in IntelliJ I seem to be struggling finding usages of methods and fields since 1.14. Even when I search in all places it only shows me the results in my files. Could be the same issue. I'm using a outdated version of IntelliJ though (still 2017.3)

Edited by _Cruelar_

My Projects:

Cruelars Triforcemod (1.12 release; 1.14 alpha soon coming)

Important:

As my mod is on at least 10 different third party sites without my permission, I want to warn you about that with a link to StopModReposts

3 minutes ago, _Cruelar_ said:

On that note in IntelliJ I seem to be struggling finding usages of methods and fields since 1.14. Even when I search in all places it only shows me the results in my files. Could be the same issue. I'm using a outdated version of IntelliJ though (still 2017.3)

Hmm , I don't think it's the same problem ! 

Try to update your intellij ( and optionally buy an package or get an student pack for it , this way you can have more options and etc., or try the free one , and see if is working) 

I'm using intellij ultimate ( little bit over-price, but is better then eclipse)

Thing is when working on a 1.12 mod or other java project it still works, only 1.14 mods make problems, also I have a perpetual fallback license for 2017.3 and I don't know if it 1) will stay active when I update and 2) I'll have such a license for later versions. Because of that I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to use IntelliJ after that at all.

My Projects:

Important:

As my mod is on at least 10 different third party sites without my permission, I want to warn you about that with a link to StopModReposts

2 minutes ago, _Cruelar_ said:

Thing is when working on a 1.12 mod or other java project it still works, only 1.14 mods make problems, also I have a perpetual fallback license for 2017.3 and I don't know if it 1) will stay active when I update and 2) I'll have such a license for later versions. Because of that I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to use IntelliJ after that at all.

Download the new version , and try to install on another disk file like F: , E: etc.

Then insert your license , and see if is working!

But the problem I think is the outdated version!

• Thanks 1

Thanks seems like the old version didn't support the new way how the forge library is handled when finding usages, also it seems I can update for free to 2019.3 so thanks for pointing out how I could test this

My Projects:

Important:

36 minutes ago, _Cruelar_ said:

Thanks seems like the old version didn't support the new way how the forge library is handled when finding usages, also it seems I can update for free to 2019.3 so thanks for pointing out how I could test this

Glad I can help you ! Have a beautiful day !