[1.5.2] Creating a pipe?

DanilaFE

[move]HELP ME![/move]

So, I'm a beginner modded using minecraft forge. What i'm trying to do is to create a pipe, like the ones from buildcraft, which is used to transfer redstone signals. I have no idea how to do so, the biggest problem is probably making it non - cubed.

“Since when did you start modding?”

“Last night"

By non-cube, you mean the shape so it takes up less than a full block?

Techne might help you, or you can try and write the renderer by hand (for a simple square pipe its likely not too hard).

You might also want to take a peek at Buildcraft's code, which is open source and on Github.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

If you are new to modding and programming, then I would recommend that you start with spending a few days getting familiar with basic oop programming concepts :)

And then start a bit simpler, after that go into TE's and rendering models from techne or check out minalien.com for a .obj import tutorial to get models from 3D studios like blender into the game :)

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

Oh, thanks! Didn't think the reply will come this quick! And one more question, one a scale of 1-5 how hard would it be to make the pipe change shape when other pipes are nearby?

“Last night"

Oh, thanks! Didn't think the reply will come this quick! And one more question, one a scale of 1-5 how hard would it be to make the pipe change shape when other pipes are nearby?

3, I think.

If we consider that implementing a new block is a 1 and handling GUIs* is a 5, then a 3: difficult, but by no means the most difficult thing.

*Most frustrating thing I've encountered thus far.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

if you understand programming concepts (not just the keywords but what they do and what they actually mean) then it's like a 2,

on the other hand if you are new to it all then It could quickly be a 4 or 9 on the 1-5 scale :P

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

You can also fake it pretty well by setting the block bounds dynamically (so that it connects to itself, at least visually).

Sample code:

@Override
public void setBlockBoundsBasedOnState(IBlockAccess par1IBlockAccess, int x, int y, int z)
{
	this.setBlockBounds(0.33F, 0.2F, 0.33F, 0.67F, 0.53F, 0.67F);
	float minx = (float)this.minX;
	float maxx = (float)this.maxX;
	float miny = (float)this.minY;
	float maxy = (float)this.maxY;
	float minz = (float)this.minZ;
	float maxz = (float)this.maxZ;

if (par1IBlockAccess.getBlockId(x-1, y, z) == this.blockID)
		minx = 0;

if (par1IBlockAccess.getBlockId(x+1, y, z) == this.blockID)
		maxx = 1;

if (par1IBlockAccess.getBlockId(x, y-1, z) == this.blockID)
		miny = 0;

if (par1IBlockAccess.getBlockId(x, y+1, z) == this.blockID)
		maxy = 1;

if (par1IBlockAccess.getBlockId(x, y, z-1) == this.blockID)
		minz = 0;

if (par1IBlockAccess.getBlockId(x, y, z+1) == this.blockID)
		maxz = 1;

this.setBlockBounds(minx, miny, minz, maxx, maxy, maxz);
}

Hi,

I am making a pipe system at the moment and trust me it isn't that hard. The first thing you should learn about ist how to render a non cube object (TileEntitySpecialRenderer) and what a TileEntity is and how to use it .That will help you a lot.

My pipes are looking like this at the moment:

width=800 height=445https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/v/912200_545038618868461_202074419_n.jpg?oh=5b42455b67b7f5c083bafeb53e6ff9e0&oe=518F7B93&__gda__=1368368779_e8adbe06e8e6ff59bb3029ac10fba611[/img]

PM's regarding modding questions should belong in the Modder Support sub-forum and won't be answered.

Hi,

I am making a pipe system at the moment and trust me it isn't that hard. The first thing you should learn about ist how to render a non cube object (TileEntitySpecialRenderer) and what a TileEntity is and how to use it .That will help you a lot.

My pipes are looking like this at the moment:

width=800 height=445https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/v/912200_545038618868461_202074419_n.jpg?oh=5b42455b67b7f5c083bafeb53e6ff9e0&oe=518F7B93&__gda__=1368368779_e8adbe06e8e6ff59bb3029ac10fba611[/img]

I would love to see it, but the picture seems broken ;) Maybe it's temporary though.

“Last night"