[SOLVED] I have a correctly formatted item, yet ResourceLocation isnt working...

MisterSirCode

I just started a new mod and I followed this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRCtFeECB8M&list=PLiDUvCGH5WEUcxyUKxHpQpDuinaiNp3it&index=4

I followed his instructions... EXACTLY.

I went ingame after registering my item.

First try it wasnt even registered because I forgot to save the file. After I saved everything and checked formatting, ran again, checked inventory and the item was there.

The item has no resources though... the lang file, texture and model are gone.

See in the attached images, I have no spelling mistakes (im very blind, please make sure Im not wrong)

Code for my java file: https://hatebin.com/kppjclhegn

Code for Item file: https://hatebin.com/mhofefziiy

Lang and Model file: https://hatebin.com/hqjcsmtlaw

EDIT: I changed the assets folder, so instead of "resources\compParts\assets" its just "resources\assets" and now my item has a working name ingame! But the texture and model are still missing.

Capture.PNG

Edited by MisterSirCode

1 minute ago, Ugdhar said:

Your package name should be the same as your modid, and all lowercase :)

So everywhere you have compParts.assets etc, it should be computeparts like your modid.

Oh, That wasnt supposed to be there.

Ok, I removed it. Now its just `resources\assets\computeparts`

Ok, ingame my item now has a NAME, but the model and item texture are still missing

You should set up a github repo for your project, makes it much easier to share code for people to help :)

Can you post the log? It'll be in the run/logs directory.

And just to be sure you have assets\computeparts\textures\item and assets\computeparts\models\item ?

18 minutes ago, MisterSirCode said:

I just started a new mod and I followed this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRCtFeECB8M&list=PLiDUvCGH5WEUcxyUKxHpQpDuinaiNp3it&index=4

I followed his instructions... EXACTLY.

Yep, his tutorials are garbage. Search the forums for "Harry Talks" and you'll find dozens and dozens of people having issues after following his tutorials.

18 minutes ago, MisterSirCode said:

EDIT: I changed the assets folder, so instead of "resources\compParts\assets" its just "resources\assets" and now my item has a working name ingame! But the texture and model are still missing.

This is also wrong. You want "resources\assets\compparts" (\textures, etc)

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

6 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

You should set up a github repo for your project, makes it much easier to share code for people to help :)

Can you post the log? It'll be in the run/logs directory.

And just to be sure you have assets\computeparts\textures\item and assets\computeparts\models\item ?

Repo: https://github.com/skylerspark/CompPartsMod

Latest.log: https://hatebin.com/oicfhkftqs

3 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Yep, his tutorials are garbage. Search the forums for "Harry Talks" and you'll find dozens and dozens of people having issues after following his tutorials.

WELLLL... he is the only tutorial that has made me a working mod.

Cant find any other tutorials on Eclipse for 1.14.4, all the rest are intellij, and if you see my previous post, its just causing so much stress

[27Mar2020 09:48:24.183] [Server-Worker-5/ERROR] [net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.AtlasTexture/]: Using missing texture, unable to load computeparts:textures/computer_sword.png : java.io.FileNotFoundException: computeparts:textures/computer_sword.png

Double check your textures folder in the repo for the item folder.

Don't give up on your logs, read them!! :)

Edited by Ugdhar

5 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

Double check your textures folder in the repo for the item folder.

Don't give up on your logs, read them!! :)

I saw that too, but its correctly named and is in the textures\item folder... Ive been developing texture packs for years... Trust me Ive done this part.

Does it not use the "item" folder? in the log it looks like its just looking for the model/texture without the \item or \block or whatever

Ill try just putting them straight into the textures and models folders respectively. See what happens :P

Wait wtf, it put it in a new folder... I never created a new folder... seriously... No wonder it cant find it. Eclipse created a new folder inside of textures and put the sword inside of it...

Edited by MisterSirCode

7 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

No, I mean in your repo, you have assets/computeparts/textures/New Folder (as in, literally, "New Folder")

yeah, Eclipse did that on its own, Ill delete it again and re-open my project so eclipse doesnt do it agian.

Oh lovely eclipse set its java home back to a nonexistant JDK 14 AGAIN... Seriously eclipse is painful

Edited by MisterSirCode

9 minutes ago, MisterSirCode said:

yeah, Eclipse did that on its own, Ill delete it again and re-open my project so eclipse doesnt do it agian.

The project files inside Eclipse won't refresh on its own. Make sure you refresh your project files every time you change them on disk.

10 minutes ago, MisterSirCode said:

Oh lovely eclipse set its java home back to a nonexistant JDK 14 AGAIN... Seriously eclipse is painful

I don't think Eclipse (or any IDE) will change its configurations on its own.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

Just now, DavidM said:

The project files inside Eclipse won't refresh on its own. Make sure you refresh your project files every time you change them on disk.

I don't think Eclipse (or any IDE) will change its configurations on its own.

Yeah I fixed the project files thing, I was refreshing and the ghost folder was still there. So I restarted.

Restarting mustve reset the Eclipse.ini file.

And yes, it reset its own config...

I used to have JDK 14 before I did modding, so yeah it installed with that config. So I changed it manually with -vm in the eclipse.ini file.

I set it to JDK 8u214 and it worked. However, I had to set it AGAIN after I restarted. No idea why.

Also I fixed the mod if you saw my last comment

51 minutes ago, MisterSirCode said:

WELLLL... he is the only tutorial that has made me a working mod.

Cant find any other tutorials on Eclipse for 1.14.4, all the rest are intellij, and if you see my previous post, its just causing so much stress

https://cadiboo.github.io/tutorials/1.14.4/forge/

Also what IDE you use is irrelevant. It's like saying "I can't write a letter using OpenOffice, all the tutorials are for Microsoft Word!"

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.