.obj loader?

sci4me

Hey guys. So I just got done with my model in blender. I want to just use the materials I applied to it in blender as my textures. Or, if its easy to make textures based on the model, I can do that too. I am just wondering, either, how would I use the .mtl materials file to do the textures OR how can I make a texture sheet for the model ? Im not going to make it manually-my model is complex... Please reply asap! Thanks!

I guess texturing inn blender is a topic for those familiar with blender?

https://www.google.no/search?q=texturing+in+blender

Seems like you have to export the uv map from Blender and then edit it:

http://www.packtpub.com/article/blender-creating-uv-texture

Getting the .obj into the game, including binding texture from file:

http://minalien.com/tutorial-advancedmodelloader/

I'm not that familiar with Blender, but I hope the above was of aid :)

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

If you're using blender, I think it has a smart UV unwrap. Some programs (I'm not sure if Blender does) have real-time 3-d paining. Sculptris, a sculpting program will do that for you. It will also make a UV map for you as well. You can just import an obj, without sculpting and UV map and paint, though I've never tried it. but sometimes, even though the paint might look nice, it may make a really funky UV map and it would be hard to edit it in photoshop per-say (the map would look like a mess but on the model would look fine).

The best thing you could do is spend some time looking into this , but work more on the mod, then when you're done, make the textures.

UV mapping is quite easy if you know what you're doing... but can be very time consuming. If you've never done it before, I would try doing the Sculptris thing as long as you don't want to edit the map after you make the texture.

ive used techne. its kinda terrible. you cant really make things look good with it... idk if you can even make circles which i need. well, not circles but.. almost circles.

ok aparently i cant even use techne cuz im on linux... -_-

ive used techne. its kinda terrible. you cant really make things look good with it... idk if you can even make circles which i need. well, not circles but.. almost circles.

Khm... Is that not good enough?

xZPjtTP.png

0M7dMxZ.png

You have Wine.

If i helped you, don't forget pressing "Thank You" button. Thanks for your time.

Khm... Is that not good enough?

xZPjtTP.png

0M7dMxZ.png

You have Wine.

Lovely reply <3

@OP:  I'm sure you will get a faster solution to you're blender problem if you asked someplace where people familiar with blender hangs out?

searching for some info revealed this one guide which makes it seem quite simple to do, I haven't used Blender but that seemed easy to do compared to what I had to do inn other modelers:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/UV_Map_Basics

its not worth it to spend the time making the uv map manually.. if i could get techne working or sculptris ... idk. i dont get how i can have too many connections to a vertex.. i dont even have that many connections to a vertex... idk.

as far as techne goes: wine says bad exe format... so..

its not worth it to spend the time making the uv map manually.. if i could get techne working or sculptris ... idk. i dont get how i can have too many connections to a vertex.. i dont even have that many connections to a vertex... idk.

I can't see this taking more time than it took to create the model itself?

But if you don't want to texture it, but for it to be complete you must at least spend some minutes uv-mapping it.

honestly, the more i think about it, the more i want to use techne over blender models.. but linux + techne doesnt really work...

of all operating systems to not support, the only proper os is the one they pick to not support. majority sucks.

honestly, the more i think about it, the more i want to use techne over blender models.. but linux + techne doesnt really work...

of all operating systems to not support, the only proper os is the one they pick to not support. majority sucks.

You're on Linux, find/create a fix for techne w/wine ;)

Then share it with everyone and problem solved, techne can be used easily on linux.

but OT: I guess this all means you got a solution to the thread then and all is well? :)

You shouldn't give up so easily. I'm sure you're already discovering that a real obj gives vastly more customization than a tcn file ever can...

The issue with Techne is that you have to work in blocks, you can't even slighlty change the shape of the block to a trapezium or anything like that. Plus you can only change the block sizes in increments of one- Kind of restrictive if you want a detailed single-block model.

width=463 height=200

http://s13.postimg.org/z9mlly2av/siglogo.png[/img]

My mods (Links coming soon)

Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats

You're on Linux, find/create a fix for techne w/wine ;)

Techne is using WPF, it's incredibly complex (not-only) gui framework. Even Mono (partial .NET port to Linux) guys said that they will never implemented it because of its complexity. It's not a matter of easy fix, it would take thousands of hours to properly implemented this thing (probably even more).

EDIT:

I have no experience with Blender, but it looks like you

a model, export uv layout to gimp and you can start texturing.

Export to Gimp: In the 'UVs' menu in the bottom left, choose 'Export UV layout'. Load the file in Gimp and draw your texture, using the UV map as a stencil.

source: http://pioneerwiki.com/wiki/UV_coordinates_in_Blender

mnn.getNativeLang() != English

If I helped you please click on the "thank you" button.

there are advantages to using techne aswell though... maybe ill look into blender more still, but if i dont ifgure it out soon ima use techne

techne gives me actual code which makes it VERY VERY VERY easy to modify the shape/size/color (i need color for "led's") so... yeah... idk.

yeah, it seems that the uv stuff.. it will take me a very long time... my model is very... its got a lot to it... .... but maybe it can work. ill try..

omg. i got it. the only issue now is, the texture doesnt wanna load lol.. keep getting missing texture.. help?

also, what SPECIFIC export options do i use with blender?

there are advantages to using techne aswell though... maybe ill look into blender more still, but if i dont ifgure it out soon ima use techne

techne gives me actual code which makes it VERY VERY VERY easy to modify the shape/size/color (i need color for "led's") so... yeah... idk.

yeah, it seems that the uv stuff.. it will take me a very long time... my model is very... its got a lot to it... .... but maybe it can work. ill try..

omg. i got it. the only issue now is, the texture doesnt wanna load lol.. keep getting missing texture.. help?

also, what SPECIFIC export options do i use with blender?

You can leave most of the default blender exports the same but MAKE SURE you select triangulate polygons. I'm curios why sculptris wouldn't work. Did you get that error trying to import it into minecraft of did it give you that in sculptris?