Multiple things I wish to know to simplify my life

Chainmanner

As a newbie to modding, I have a basic knowledge to Java and I could search up on the Internet tutorials on adding blocks, items, GUIs, entities, etc. My only issue is that I wish to know a few things that could make my development of my first mod easier. Videos would greatly help.

When the source code of Minecraft is decompiled, how do I implement Minecraft Forge without failing a decompiling process or pasting it after the decompiling which would screw it all up?

How do I make a configuration file and customizable gameplay elements using the file?

With the new Searge Obfuscation, how do I enable it to reobfuscate the mod to the current version?

And finally, since my mod would involve creating mod elements in-game, how do I make Forge reinitialize and load the newly added creations?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pahimar - Follow this guy! Make sure to watch his videos inn order and skip episode 3.

Since episode 4 is an updated and easier version ;)

That will give you a nice developer environment where updating forge and/or mcp is super simple :)

Also it's neat and clean inn the way he sets everything up <3

He will cover configs file soon he said, or you can check out the forge wiki for both advance and simple config files :)

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

• 2 weeks later...

Um...bump?

When you recompile your code, there's another batch file called "reob" or something- That reobfuscates it :)

I always thought that was required to make it run to be honest

you can use the startclient file to start the modded client, so-long as you have recompiled it.

^^^^^^^  Yeah, I would like to know this too.

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Isnt that what reobf does for you?

Nope.  Open up your reobf folder and look at the file names.

Reobf only changes the references to vanilla classes and functions back to their obfuscated state (field_53829_b, func_23878_c, etc) so that the mod will actually work when added to the Minecraft jar.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Reobf only changes the references to vanilla classes and functions back to their obfuscated state (field_53829_b, func_23878_c, etc) so that the mod will actually work when added to the Minecraft jar.

Would a third-party obfuscator work, maybe?

Would a third-party obfuscator work, maybe?

most likely not, since they usually obfuscate everything, even the vanilla method / field / class names.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

I'm not a fan of obfuscation, but IMO proguard can do this with "keep" options. At least it looks like it from this post: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4536016/how-can-i-obfuscate-only-com-foo-and-com-bar-proguard.

That is the sort of thing I was thinking of, yes, a "configurable" obfuscator. Maybe even on the level of per-method and per-variable selection. Obfuscate getEntitiesWithinAABB? No. Obfuscate recursiveBreakWithBounds? Yes.

Well, I tried Proguard, and there appear to be two errors:

One, the minecraft.jar apparently contains two copies of every class, judging from lots of this:

Note: duplicate definition of library class [ase]
Note: duplicate definition of library class [asf]
Note: duplicate definition of library class [asg]
Note: duplicate definition of library class [ash]
Note: duplicate definition of library class [asi]

Two, some vanilla-code references appear to break, almost like mcp reobfuscated with a different naming registry:

Warning: Reika.RotaryCraft.Items.ItemBedrockAxe: can't find referenced field 'apa[] c' in class Reika.RotaryCraft.Items.ItemBedrockAxe

I know that apa is Block.class, and apa[] c is in fact Block[] blocksEffectiveAgainst from the tools classes. But why does that line fail to match up when most of them do?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I tried Proguard, and there appear to be two errors:

One, the minecraft.jar apparently contains two copies of every class, judging from lots of this:

Note: duplicate definition of library class [ase]
Note: duplicate definition of library class [asf]
Note: duplicate definition of library class [asg]
Note: duplicate definition of library class [ash]
Note: duplicate definition of library class [asi]

Two, some vanilla-code references appear to break, almost like mcp reobfuscated with a different naming registry:

Warning: Reika.RotaryCraft.Items.ItemBedrockAxe: can't find referenced field 'apa[] c' in class Reika.RotaryCraft.Items.ItemBedrockAxe

I know that apa is Block.class, and apa[] c is in fact Block[] blocksEffectiveAgainst from the tools classes. But why does that line fail to match up when most of them do?

Sounds like it might be using the same obfuscated names for your classes as for the Minecraft base classes...?

BEWARE OF GOD

---

Co-author of Pentachoron Labs' SBFP Tech.