[SOLVED][1.14.4] Adding New Global Tags

ShetiPhian

At first I thought maybe I was using too old of a Forge build so updated it to 1.14.4-28.2.3

Then I figured maybe something was off in my environment, so I tested with a clean 'examplemod'

How does one register a new global tag?

The docs just mention using the forge domain but that doesn't seem to be enough.

I can add to existing tags in the minecraft and forge domains, and I can add new tags to the mods domain, but any new tags outside of the mods domain is unusable in recipes, loot tables and code.

Tag "test.json"

{
    "replace": false,
    "values": [
        "minecraft:dead_bush",
        "minecraft:fern"
    ]
}

Recipe:

{
    "type": "minecraft:crafting_shapeless",
    "ingredients": [
        {
            "tag": "examplemod:test"
        }
    ],
    "result": {
        "item": "minecraft:dirt"
    }
}

With the tag located at "data.examplemod.tags.items" the recipe works.

Moving it to "data.forge.tags.items" and changing the recipe to "forge:test" results in the error "com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: Unknown item tag 'forge:test'", and the recipe does not work.

Trying again with the tag at "data.minecraft.tags.items" and updating the recipe causes a similar error "com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: Unknown item tag 'minecraft:test'" and again the recipe fails.

Even gave "global", "common" and "c" a try but same issue.

So it looks like adding the new json file is only part of the requirements. (and is the only requirement when within your own domain)

Do I need to create and register a TagProvider?

- If so, what happens when more the one mod registers a provider for the same file? (as that would be the case for all mod added provided global tags at multiple mods access)

- If not, what am I missing? or is this ore dictionary feature not yet implemented for tags?

Edited by ShetiPhian
Mark as Solved

• Thanks 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Thank you, that was just the jump start my brain needed.

While carefully looking over your linked files, and comparing to my test ones, I noticed the dumb mistake in my test work space. a typo in the path ¬¬

Knowing without a doubt it does work, I started looking over my main work space, and remembered an issue I had early in 1.12. (resource changes stopped building)

So just like before I deleted the build folder. Now tags added to the forge domain work.