1.14 Saving 3D inventory icons to an image

Chiidore

Hello,

I posted this same question yesterday in regards to Minecraft 1.12 and was told that 1.12 is no longer supported and I will need to upgrade to a newer version. Given that 1.14 is in LTS and the next closest version I will begin upgrading to that. However, the question posed in the original thread remains the same even if on a new version of Minecraft and I may as well try to get ahead of the ball. I have quoted the original post below but fellow readers should be aware that all the links other than the OpenGL docs link link to resources for 1.12. I have left the links in as I'm not sure how useful they will or won't be to future readers of this thread.

I am trying to save the icons of the games items as they appear when in your inventory (or in the crafting grid, where they appear the same as in the inventory) to an image file (PNG or GIF).

Using this thread and this thread as jumping off points to start in the right direction, and with some browsing of the OpenGL documentation and Forge documentation, I have been able to save the 2D flat icons to images (items like foods such as apple and potato and tools like pickaxes) by loading TextureMap.LOCATION_BLOCKS_TEXTURE into memory with OpenGL, writing it to a BufferedImage, and then using BufferedImage.getSubImage with the TextureAtlasSprite.getOriginX/Y  and TextureAtlasSprite.getHeight/Widthfunctions.

However, I have not been able to figure out how the save the inventory icons of items like dirt / stone / etc blocks or items like stairs / fences which appear as more "3D" than the more flat 2D inventory icons. I saw it noted in the second linked post that I may need to render the model so that I may capture a "screenshot". I have been unsuccessful in my research attempts to try and figure out how to manually render a model or how one might capture the "screenshot" of the rendered model.

It might also be worth mentioning that I am proficient in Java but quite new to Minecraft modding.

Any information you can provide or examples you could point me to to help me get started with my attempts to save the 3D inventory icons would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

What are you trying to accomplish? The textures are available as individual .png files in your modding environment, for the rest you will have to render the models with the inventory variant.

However, all of the assets are Mojang's property, so I'm not sure what you are planning on doing with them.

32 minutes ago, DragonITA said:

but it was impossible to be obtain the texture in eclipse.

Maybe not directly, but it does show you the path to the client-extra.jar which you can just go to and extract the textures from it as if it was a zip file.

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

1 hour ago, Alpvax said:

What are you trying to accomplish? The textures are available as individual .png files in your modding environment, for the rest you will have to render the models with the inventory variant.

However, all of the assets are Mojang's property, so I'm not sure what you are planning on doing with them.

Rendering the models with the inventory variant is precisely one of the things I'm trying to accomplish. But I'm not sure how to start and haven't been able to find any resources to educate myself. I am asking to be pointed in the right direction to learn how to do that.

I have no nefarious intentions for using the images if that is your concern. They will simply be displayed on a website like any number of other third party sites do if you Google "minecraft items".

5 hours ago, crackedEgg said:

All of the minecraft .png files are in the assets directory of the minecraft jar. just extract that and have a look. this includes all items that would appear in an inventory and also the inventory container gui. It seems like that's what you want.  

My goal was to get the 3D style icons such as those of blocks and some items such as fences as they are displayed in your inventory. I am not concerned with the 2D .png icons that can be found in the jar.

However, I think I'm going to have to give up on the idea as I haven't been able to figure out over the past several days how to manually render the model for an item. Let alone a specific model or do it in such a way that I could I could access the OpenGL buffer before it is cleared (or however it would have to be done) to be able to write it to a BufferedImage.