[Solved] [1.14.4] Using RegistryObjects with EntityTypes, but still making spawn eggs?

imacatlolol

I'm aware that you have to initialize EntityTypes before spawn eggs in order for them to link up, then register the EntityTypes in their event. I like to do this with RegistryObjects to keep things consistent across my mod, but I know they're not designed for this use. There's no way to set the value inside of a RegistryObject without registering it first, which makes sense of course, so I'm sure trying to work around that would just be a hacky solution at best.

Is there any way of still using RegistryObjects, and also having the spawn eggs point to the correct EntityType reference even if changes by the ObjectHolderRegistry? Maybe I could create dummy EntityTypes that get changed after registration, using custom spawn eggs?

This probably isn't worth all the effort...

I'm eager to learn and am prone to mistakes. Don't hesitate to tell me how I can improve.

I haven't tried this using RegistryObject yet, but I believe Cadiboo has a custom spawn egg that takes a Supplier in the constructor in his example mod on github. https://github.com/Cadiboo/Example-Mod/blob/1.15.2/src/main/java/io/github/cadiboo/examplemod/item/ModdedSpawnEggItem.java

I haven't messed with it myself, so your mileage may vary, but seems like a good place to start until something proper is done about the spawn egg mess. :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ugdhar said:

I haven't tried this using RegistryObject yet, but I believe Cadiboo has a custom spawn egg that takes a Supplier in the constructor in his example mod on github. https://github.com/Cadiboo/Example-Mod/blob/1.15.2/src/main/java/io/github/cadiboo/examplemod/item/ModdedSpawnEggItem.java

I haven't messed with it myself, so your mileage may vary, but seems like a good place to start until something proper is done about the spawn egg mess. :)

I suppose that's an ideal workaround, thanks for letting me know (and thanks @Cadiboo), I'll try something somewhat similar.

Edited by imacatlolol
  • Like 1

I'm eager to learn and am prone to mistakes. Don't hesitate to tell me how I can improve.

• imacatlolol changed the title to [Solved] [1.14.4] Using RegistryObjects with EntityTypes, but still making spawn eggs?