Editing Player Class (Custom Player Class?)

FoxxCommand

So I'm aware that in Forge you're not allowed to edit the base class files and you're definitely not allowed to edit the player class file (found out the hard way) so I'm wondering what's the best way to edit player functions and what not in a custom mod or if it's possible to make a custom player file and get the game to use that, any ideas or help?

There are a few ways of doing this, some involving reflection or being a core mod and utilizing the asm library. Depending on your skill with java this can take a while to get into.

On the other hand, depending on why you want to use this there may be easier and better ways to a achive your goal :) so what do ya need it for?

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

Well I code my own games in Java and for Android (Which uses Java) and I'm pretty well versed in it, I just suck at online/multiplayer stuff

Pretty much these bunch of items use like 'mana' and whenever the player uses them it uses their mana and then goes on a cooldown and does things according to what level the player is, I also need to cap the level the player can reach as well as doing some stuff to it's inventory like not drop the stuff when they die and do things like "When holding shift they go invisible" and have like custom player models as well

I see.. think you could help me with an example class or something? like would it be like

package whatever

public class CustomPlayer extends IExtendedEntityProperties 
{

private int mana;

public void setMana(int m)
       {
                 mana = m;
       }

public int getMana()
       {
                 return mana;
        }
}

and then how would I use those functions in an item would I just use a normal player statement and it'll fill itself out for me?

So I read up a bit on what you said, but is it possible to use custom functions with it? Because I did everything right I assume but when I use a custome function to get a variable or change it the whole thing crashes

How I registered it

public class EventHookContainerClass
{
@ForgeSubscribe
public void entityConstructed(EntityConstructing event)
{
	if (event.entity instanceof EntityLiving)
	{
		//event.entity.dropItem(Item.arrow.itemID, 1);
		event.entity.registerExtendedProperties("custom Player", new EntityCustomPlayer(event.entity.worldObj));
	}
}

@ForgeSubscribe
public void entityHurt(LivingHurtEvent event)
{
	if (event.entity instanceof EntityLiving)
	{
		if (((EntityCustomPlayer) event.entity).getMana() >= 5)
		{
			((EntityLiving) event.entity).addPotionEffect(new PotionEffect(Potion.moveSlowdown.id, 1000));
		}
	}
}
}

the 'custom entity' class

public class EntityCustomPlayer extends Entity implements IExtendedEntityProperties
{
private int mana;

public EntityCustomPlayer(World worldObj)
{
	//this.mana = 0;
	super(worldObj);
}

public void setMana(int m)
{
	this.mana = m;
}

public int getMana()
{
	return this.mana;
}

@Override
public void saveNBTData(NBTTagCompound compound) {
	// TODO Auto-generated method stub

}

@Override
public void loadNBTData(NBTTagCompound compound) {

}

@Override
public void init(Entity entity, World world)
{
	mana = 0;

}

@Override
protected void entityInit() {

}

@Override
protected void readEntityFromNBT(NBTTagCompound nbttagcompound) {

}

@Override
protected void writeEntityToNBT(NBTTagCompound nbttagcompound) {

}
}

I'm not sure what the problem is but whenever I try to use one of the functions it gives me an error and crashes the game, something about and uninitialized variable or something, and I know it's the functions causing it because when I take it out I don't get the errors

Just throwing my two cents in, You could create your own extension of EntityPlayerMP and use that to access values. I've done the same with my own extension of WorldServer so I could remove random block ticking and modify spawning layouts and a few other tweaks that can't be done in a world provider.

However you'd have to wrap all of the spawned players, and accessing the variables which is a tad more intensive that physically setting a world. And then you would have the issue of accessing the values in a non EntityPlayerMP scenario. This is why forge is great.

Also post your crash report

I think its my java of the variables.

I'm not sure what the problem is but whenever I try to use one of the functions it gives me an error and crashes the game, something about and uninitialized variable or something, and I know it's the functions causing it because when I take it out I don't get the errors

When eclipse says you have an uninitialized variable that means nowhere in your code there is something that says variable x equals something. To solve it either have your uninitialized variable as a parameter or just set it equal to 0, or null and then have another method change it later on. Hoped that made sense.  :D