1.14.4 Gradle change Java directory

SamMan

Hello again! :)

So posted here a few hours ago about some Forge problems, and tracked it down to gradle loading the wrong version of Java. The IDEA error tells me which Java its using:

image.png.01ea8baaf4bb7a3dfc2713af95428d26.png

However, this version of Java is incompatible with my version of Minecraft, so I'd like to change it to use the java.exe bundled with Minecraft (location at C:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft\runtime\jre-x64\bin)

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks! :D

21 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

It shouldn't be, that version should be compatible with 1.14.4 just fine.

Don't. That Java is very outdated. Just use the Java that you also use to compile (the JDK).

Thank you for your reply :)

Sorry! Should've probably made this more clear. I originally made this post where I ran into a crash when using the runClient command. After some testing I found that that version of Java and my laptop weren't compatible (changing the JRE in the minecraft launcher to the newer one resulted in the crash) so the easiest option seemed to be forcing gradle to use that older yet compatible Java.

1 minute ago, diesieben07 said:

Are the drivers up to date?

To my knowledge yes. I asked a similar question a few years ago on the technic pack forums and was told that Intel had dropped support for the Intel HD Graphics 3000, leading to these sorts of issues. So I guess they're as updated as they'll ever be

2 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Not sure there is much you can do then, tbh.

Well see, my thinking was that since this old Java version is able to launch Forge, if I could just tell gradle to use that version of Java when launching the runClient script (not the build script, I can use the latest version of Java to do that) and starting MC, I should be in the money.

I just haven't been successful in telling gradle to do that :<

Edited by SamMan

1 minute ago, diesieben07 said:

You will need to have a JDK for that old version installed then. This is highly discouraged, Java updates happen for a reason, most of them time due to security issues that are fixed.

I getcha, though since the newer Java ain't going to work on this (and I'll try to set it up such that its only used for the runClient script), it seems to only option left...

Time to go digging!