Implement setRenderType() for all Blocks

LRFLEW

There is already a setRenderType() implemented in the BlockRailBase class that allows modders to change how vanilla rails are rendered.  Is there any chance of seeing this moved to the base Block class?  It would make it easier for my mod, and I don't think it would take too much work.

You.. you.. you want us to double the number fo base class edits we do.. for a single feature?

We'd have to edit EVERY block class in order to get everything to support this...

Its done in rails because we already do a crapload of other stuff in that class and it was small.

So, basically, the answer is no. {Honestly the 'render types' shouldnt be a int, but whatever}

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

You.. you.. you want us to double the number fo base class edits we do.. for a single feature?

We'd have to edit EVERY block class in order to get everything to support this...

Its done in rails because we already do a crapload of other stuff in that class and it was small.

So, basically, the answer is no. {Honestly the 'render types' shouldnt be a int, but whatever}

I might be mistaken, but I wouldn't think it would be that many classes.  If I remember correctly, most blocks just use the standard 0 render id, which wouldn't require a code change.  As for the ones that do, I thought most of those class files already had edits, and a simple removing of a method and adding a line to the constructor wouldn't be that much to ask. 

Of course, I know I can't argue this, but I don't really understand where the difficulty lies.  I can take a look myself at the code and its changes to see what it might take to add it and upkeep it. 

No, most blocks don't just use 0, the Base block uses 0 and any other subblock uses a overridden function.

Do this, go into eclipse.

Go to Block.getRenderType

Right click on it and hit 'Quick Type Hiarachy'

The list of classes that popup that arn't shadowed out, would be the classes we need to edit.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.

Right click on it and hit 'Quick Type Hiarachy'

For some reason, that keeps turning up blank for me.  I can't get it to work. 

Just one last quick question.  Is this a matter of up keeping (as in updating forge for new minecraft versions) or is this just a matter of implementation?  If it's the latter, I am willing to implement it myself and submit a pull request on GitHub.  It wouldn't be the first time I put a lot of work into a small feature change.

Its neither, its the cost/benifit of it.

We're not gunna add 130 new base edits just for something like this that will rarely ever be used, and can be done easily for vanilla stuff without it.

• 1 month later...

Its neither, its the cost/benifit of it.

We're not gunna add 130 new base edits just for something like this that will rarely ever be used, and can be done easily for vanilla stuff without it.

I was looking for a method just like this today...