[1.14.4] Using a container to sync my GUI even if I don't need the player inventory ?

dylandmrl

Hello guys,

Today I encounter another problem. I have trouble doing the good choice when it comes to forge modding. I want to sync a GUI with my tile entity. I know that blocks such as furnace use a Container to sync the whole thing. But in my case I don't need the player inventory at all and I don't care about slots. It is just bunch of variables. So do I really need a container or maybe I can use something else and if that so what can I use ?

PS: I could just update my client side tile entity at the same time of my server side tile entity into my GUI but I am not sure it is a good idea...

Edited by dylandmrl

Ok I've implemented the container but I don't understand how to properly handle the "detectAndSendChanges" function. My tile entity contains a rather complex structure and I only see this function: "listener.sendWindowProperty(this, varToUpdate, newValue);" to communicate a change or, I need to change a whole structure which is not only composed of ints... Also, I can't access the listeners list since the variable is private.

Ah yes this was my bad trully sorry, however my main problem is still the same, how can I send a "complex change" I mean, I don't have an array of int inside my tile entity but a list of list that store several values. I can't just update the whole data structure when I observe a changement ?

Ok so basically, when I detect a change, I need to send a packet to each player using listener that I am getting using reflexion to update their client tile entity based on my server side tile entity and my container will retrieve the data from their own tile entity ?

Edited by dylandmrl

For people who don't know how to do, I have something like :

Inside your container:

public void detectAndSendChanges() {
    super.detectAndSendChanges();

if(this.tileEntity.isDifferent()){
        this.tileEntity.setDifferent(false);
        Field f = null;
        try {
            f = Container.class.getDeclaredField("listeners");
            f.setAccessible(true);
            try {
                List<IContainerListener> listOfListeners = (List<IContainerListener>) f.get(this); //IllegalAccessException
                for(IContainerListener listener: listOfListeners){
                    if(listener instanceof PlayerEntity){
                        // Send the packet
                    }
                }
            } catch (IllegalAccessException e) {
                e.printStackTrace();
            }
        } catch (NoSuchFieldException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
    }
}

Correct me if I am wrong but normally everything is ok! isDifferent is set as true if the tileentity receive any modification. Basically I have a function that make the tile entity dirty and put this variable to true at the same time.

Okay I have tried to figure out how to do without blowing everything (I have certainly made mistakes again):

12 hours ago, diesieben07 said:
  • That field will not be called "listeners" outside the development environment. You need to use ObfuscationReflectionHelper.findField with a SRG name. This will also call setAccessible for you.
  • Do not look up the Field instance every time. Do it once and store it in a static final field (both modifiers are important to allow the JVM to optimize this reflective access).
public static Field field = ObfuscationReflectionHelper.findField(Container.class, "field_177758_a");

I have found "field_177758_a" as an equivalent of listeners in the website that you provided.

12 hours ago, diesieben07 said:
  • That is not how you handle exceptions. Ever.
try {
    List<IContainerListener> listOfListeners = (List<IContainerListener>) DCContainer.field.get(this);
    for(IContainerListener listener: listOfListeners){
        if(listener instanceof ServerPlayerEntity){
            this.sendUpdate(listener);
        }
    }
} catch (IllegalAccessException e) {
    Debugger.error(e);
}

For this one, I am not sure at all.