[1.14.4] [Solved] Persisting player health on dimension change

FireController1847

I'm currently working on a mod that allows a player to have more than their maximum amount of health. I've got the health modifier down, but what I don't understand is what happens when the player changes dimension. It appears that the modifier goes away. This would be fine, except... well, this is best explained with an example: Let's say I have 20 hearts. If I'm at full health, then go through a nether portal, my modifier is re-applied and I get the appropriate amount of 20 hearts back. However, my health is down to 10. My question is, how do I remember and persist the player's health as they go from one world to another?

My code is currently available here, and below is a code snippet of my changed dimension event:

@SubscribeEvent
  public static void onPlayerChangedDimension(PlayerChangedDimensionEvent event) {
  debug("PlayerChangedDimension{Event}");

// Fetch Capability
  PlayerEntity player = event.getPlayer();
  IMoreHealth cap = MoreHealth.getFromPlayer(player);

// Re-add health modifier
  LevelHearts.applyHealthModifier(player, cap.getTrueModifier());
}

Edited by FireController1847

I am on my journey of making a remake of matmos, as explained here.

It worked! Awesome, thank you!

I don't suppose you'd be willing to help me understand what this piece of code does? I kind of get that it's making a packet for the attribute, but what is this "sendToTrackingAndSelf" method?

Edited by FireController1847

2 hours ago, FireController1847 said:

It worked! Awesome, thank you!

I don't suppose you'd be willing to help me understand what this piece of code does? I kind of get that it's making a packet for the attribute, but what is this "sendToTrackingAndSelf" method?

It sends the packet to all players whose clients are tracking the entity (i.e. all players within X blocks of it) as well as the entity itself (if it's a player).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

20 minutes ago, Choonster said:

It sends the packet to all players whose clients are tracking the entity (i.e. all players within X blocks of it) as well as the entity itself (if it's a player).

So in reality, what's happening is the attribute is lost on the client-side but not on the server side, which allows it to recover itself without having to re-initiate it?

52 minutes ago, FireController1847 said:

So in reality, what's happening is the attribute is lost on the client-side but not on the server side, which allows it to recover itself without having to re-initiate it?

Yes. The client loses the attribute (which may be a Vanilla bug, I'm not sure), but the server retains the correct value and re-syncs it to the client.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.