[SOLVED][1.14.4] Rendering Glitches with BlockRenderLayer.TRANSLUCENT

deerangle

Your problem seems to be similar to this one. If the block is a TESR or FastTESR, then you should be able to solve it with the same solution as I suggested there.

(That is a 1.12.2 post, however, so the method names might be a little different. I suspect the underlying rendering code is pretty much the same, though.)

Fancy 3D Graphing Calculator mod, with many different coordinate systems.

Lightweight 3D/2D position/vector transformations library, also with support for different coordinate systems.

I have the same issue, and sadly turning my blocks into tile entities won't be viable for me. Using a custom baked model and sorting the vertex data there would be an option, though. The trouble then is figuring out how to actually do that properly...

• Like 2

I'm eager to learn and am prone to mistakes. Don't hesitate to tell me how I can improve.

I created a complex block model to showcase the severity of the issue some more:

Spoiler

layers.gif.25f565a8f7af664864bacd60db68649a.gif

Seems like BufferBuilder#sortVertexData() is only ever called to re-sort translucence vertices inside ChunkRender#postRenderBlocks(), which implies that manually sorting them ourselves in baked models may not be possible, but don't quote me on that.

For now, a viable workaround would be to separate the problematic model into distinct "solid" and "transparent" models, then re-combine them in a single baked model by rendering them on the correct layers. You can check the current layer being rendered by using the static MinecraftForgeClient#getRenderLayer() method. The block would need to return true for both the solid and translucent layers, of course.

This workaround isn't perfect, since quads that still need to render on the translucent layer won't be "fixed", but it will mitigate the problem for many cases. If it really comes down to it, using a tile entity may have to be a last resort if a better fix can't be found.

Edit: Forge's multi-layer-model system would be a perfect way of implementing this solution, and would remove the need to write a custom baked model yourself. However, as of writing this, that feature is currently inaccessible. For now, you will have to implement this yourself.

Edited by imacatlolol
  • Like 1

I'm eager to learn and am prone to mistakes. Don't hesitate to tell me how I can improve.

So I got some things working. I can now correctly render my Blocks with translucent and solid layers using the MultiLayerModel class (or in my case an edited version of that class to manage particle textures, but its essentially the same). Now I would like to rotate my models, as the Block I'm making the model for is a HorizontalBlock. Currently, this is my code:

@SubscribeEvent
public static void onModelBake(ModelBakeEvent event) {
    ModelResourceLocation wooden_frame_location = new ModelResourceLocation(new ResourceLocation(LaserMod.MODID, "wooden_frame"), "");
    ModelResourceLocation orange_glass_location = new ModelResourceLocation(new ResourceLocation(LaserMod.MODID, "orange_glass"), "");

IBakedModel wooden_frame = getBakedModel(new ResourceLocation(LaserMod.MODID, "wooden_frame"), event.getModelLoader(), ModelRotation.X0_Y0);
    event.getModelRegistry().put(wooden_frame_location, wooden_frame);

IBakedModel orange_glass = getBakedModel(new ResourceLocation(LaserMod.MODID, "orange_glass"), event.getModelLoader(), ModelRotation.X0_Y90);
    event.getModelRegistry().put(orange_glass_location, orange_glass);

IBakedModel orange_wooden_lens = makeLensModel(wooden_frame_location, orange_glass_location, event.getModelLoader(), ModelRotation.X0_Y90, new ResourceLocation("block/oak_log_top"));
    event.getModelRegistry().put(new ModelResourceLocation(new ResourceLocation(LaserMod.MODID, "orange_wooden_lens"), "distance=8,facing=south"), orange_wooden_lens);
}

private static IBakedModel makeLensModel(ModelResourceLocation solid, ModelResourceLocation translucent, ModelLoader loader, ModelRotation rotation, ResourceLocation particle) {
    ImmutableMap<Optional<BlockRenderLayer>, ModelResourceLocation> map = ImmutableMap.<Optional<BlockRenderLayer>, ModelResourceLocation>builder()
            .put(Optional.of(BlockRenderLayer.SOLID), solid)
            .put(Optional.of(BlockRenderLayer.TRANSLUCENT), translucent)
            .build();
    LensModel model = new LensModel(map, particle);
    return bakeModel(model, loader, rotation);
}

private static IBakedModel getBakedModel(ResourceLocation location, ModelLoader loader, ModelRotation rotation) {
    BlockModel model = (BlockModel) loader.getUnbakedModel(location);
    return bakeModel(model, loader, rotation);
}

private static IBakedModel bakeModel(IUnbakedModel model, ModelLoader loader, ModelRotation rotation) {
    return model.bake(loader, ModelLoader.defaultTextureGetter(), new BasicState(TRSRTransformation.from(rotation), false), DefaultVertexFormats.BLOCK);
}

As you can see I tried inputting ModelRotations when calling the bake method, but with no success... The model looks exactly the same, no matter what rotation values I use. I really don't want to make extra models to have rotation, so I am asking how I can rotate my models before (or maybe even after) baking?