[1.14.4]How to make an Infinite Durability Item that CAN be enchanted.

Squidsword

Hey guys, new modder and programmer here.

I am trying to make an item with infinite durability that can ALSO be enchanted. I set the durability value of my tools to -1, but now it cannot be enchanted. I'm not sure, it may have to do with this section of Item.class. Since my item isn't damageable, it isn't enchantable either.

image.png.b433bb8d09b8fcb350f7eda8d9c8bee5.png

I do not want to make the durability arbitrarily high, I would prefer there to be no green bar showing the durability to keep things clean and tidy.

In 1.12, there was a setMaxDamage option and you could setMaxDamage of an object to 0. Do you guys know any alternatives and how to implement them?

One of the items that I want to have infinite durability is stored in ItemList.amethyst_pickaxe if that will help.

(I'm a beginner programmer, code examples would be nice)

11 hours ago, SerpentDagger said:

You can override Item#isEnchantable(), and alter the return conditions.

In your case, you'd probably just want to return true.

How would I override an already defined item's property? I've tried a bunch of stuff related to your suggestion on my own, but I get error messages.

This is what I tried:

ItemList.amethyst_pickaxe.isEnchantable(new ItemStack(ItemList.black_opal_pickaxe)) = true;

Obviously I'm not doing this right.

The Amethyst pickaxe I want to make infinite durability is already individually defined as a PickaxeItem with its own efficiency and attack damage etc.

Thanks.

Edited by Squidsword

6 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

This is your item, no? Do you know how to override methods? This is basic Java knowledge, which is required for modding.

No, I'm not sure. I started a few days ago. I'm learning from tutorials and open-source mods. May you show me an example of how to override a method? I have created my tools using the normal AxeItem PickaxeItem etc..., I'm willing to learn.

I apologize if I'm too uninformed.

Edited by Squidsword

26 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

This is not a Java school. Basic Java knowledge is required before writing a mod.

Basic information about inheritance: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/IandI/subclasses.html

The sub-chapter about overriding methods: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/IandI/override.html

image.png.d7cd6b9ba595e19942ad3bc666f96df3.png

Alright, thanks for that, good read. I managed to fix the problem. Here's what I did for anyone else that has the same problem as me.