[SOLVED][1.14.4] IUnlistedProperty Alternative? (Camouflage Block)

imacatlolol

I'm migrating one of my (very) old projects to the latest version of Forge, and am having to re-learn a handful of things. Smooth sailing so far, but I came across this little road bump: I have a block that is able to copy the model of any other block. To do so, it uses a tile entity that stores the source block's default state (serialized as a resource location string) for rendering. To access the tile entity from the baked model I was using, I would store the tile entity inside of the block state with an IUnlistedProperty, which has since been removed. The primer suggests using extended states for this kind of thing, but that's been a dead end (the primer even says that it's "not working just yet")

My general ideas for solutions are the following:

• Stop using a baked model and switch to a TileEntityRendererFast. This is the most straightforward solution, but I can't figure out how to make this also work for rendering the item. Also I'm not 100% sure on the performance here, since I assume the baked model solution is faster to some degree (but that might be negligible for all I know).
  • Store a resource location (or string) in the block state's properties, to then be retrieved during rendering. This doesn't seem like it would work due to how properties work now (i.e. getAllowedValues), but I might be misinterpreting it entirely.
  • Find some other way to access the tile entity from a baked model's getQuads method? IModelData seems like a lead to follow for that, but I'm not so sure.

This feels like an easy solution to look for, but I'm having just a bit of trouble finding it. I just need to copy another block's model and have it also apply to the camo block's item.

Edit: Side note, I'm using a tile entity regardless for other reasons, which is why I felt the need to use one in the first place. The second of my above proposed solutions would be an ideal solution if I wasn't using a tile entity, I think.

Edited by imacatlolol

I'm eager to learn and am prone to mistakes. Don't hesitate to tell me how I can improve.

6 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Your TileEntity can override IForgeTileEntity#getModelData. Whatever you return there will end up in IForgeBakedModel#getQuads.

Note: this data should be immutable, or at least immutable after you return it from getModelData, as it is shared across threads.

Ah, I think that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

I'm eager to learn and am prone to mistakes. Don't hesitate to tell me how I can improve.