Dynamic block rendering?

Zeretul4

Hey everyone, I'm trying to make a multi-block that's like a huge cauldron and I only have a question about how I would render this. I want it to look simple, basically if theres a single block then it will render similar to a cauldron, but if there is another next to it then the walls in between that would normally separate them isn't rendered so it looks like a single large cauldron.

I've never done anything with special rendering yet so I'm just asking how I would get started with this. The best example I could think of is how buildcraft pipes are small squares on their own but know to connect when they are next to each other. Thanks a lot guys!

Hey everyone, I'm trying to make a multi-block that's like a huge cauldron and I only have a question about how I would render this. I want it to look simple, basically if theres a single block then it will render similar to a cauldron, but if there is another next to it then the walls in between that would normally separate them isn't rendered so it looks like a single large cauldron.

I've never done anything with special rendering yet so I'm just asking how I would get started with this. The best example I could think of is how buildcraft pipes are small squares on their own but know to connect when they are next to each other. Thanks a lot guys!

Look into ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler (if you aren't using tile entities) and TileEntitySpecialRenderer (if you are). Basically, you define a custom rendering type for your block (or TE) and then perform your custom rendering like that. There is plenty of documentation and tutorials on how to use these.

Generally, you would check the world each time before rendering, see if there are adjacent blocks of the same type, and decide how to render based on that information.

Look into ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler (if you aren't using tile entities) and TileEntitySpecialRenderer (if you are). Basically, you define a custom rendering type for your block (or TE) and then perform your custom rendering like that. There is plenty of documentation and tutorials on how to use these.

Generally, you would check the world each time before rendering, see if there are adjacent blocks of the same type, and decide how to render based on that information.

I looked into ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler and tried to find tutorials and I actually found plenty telling me how to set things up, but they all lead me to a dead end.  They all say to just fill this method with my "rendering code"

@Override
public boolean renderWorldBlock(IBlockAccess world, int x, int y, int z,
		Block block, int modelId, RenderBlocks renderer) {
	// TODO Auto-generated method stub
	return false;
}

That's great, but I have no idea where to go from there and nothing is telling me what I can write to make some simple square shapes render. Thanks a lot!

I looked into ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler and tried to find tutorials and I actually found plenty telling me how to set things up, but they all lead me to a dead end.  They all say to just fill this method with my "rendering code"

@Override
public boolean renderWorldBlock(IBlockAccess world, int x, int y, int z,
		Block block, int modelId, RenderBlocks renderer) {
	// TODO Auto-generated method stub
	return false;
}

That's great, but I have no idea where to go from there and nothing is telling me what I can write to make some simple square shapes render. Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Make a tileEntity and tileEntityRender, bind them to your block. Then, in the renderer make methods to render sides and corners of the cauldron differently from each other, and check if there is a nearby cauldron block before rendering.

If i helped you, don't forget pressing "Thank You" button. Thanks for your time.