edit nbt to spawned entity

Takato

I was trying to spawn an entity like for example an mine cart chest or even the mine cart mob spawner

I can get them to spawn fine but I not sure how to edit the nbt data for them.  I wanted to be able to spawn mine cart chests with an item in it  or able to spawn minecart mob spawners that would spawn other stuff I tried to do it this way but it's not working lol I'm really new to this so I don't know how to edit the nbt the right way.

EntityMinecart entitySpawnCart = EntityMinecart.createMinecart(par1World, par1, par2, par3, 4);
          NBTTagCompound nbt = entitySpawnCart.getEntityData();
          nbt.setString("EntityId", "SnowMan");
          entitySpawnCart.writeToNBT(nbt);
          par1World.spawnEntityInWorld(entitySpawnCart);

I was trying to spawn an entity like for example an mine cart chest or even the mine cart mob spawner

I can get them to spawn fine but I not sure how to edit the nbt data for them.  I wanted to be able to spawn mine cart chests with an item in it  or able to spawn minecart mob spawners that would spawn other stuff I tried to do it this way but it's not working lol I'm really new to this so I don't know how to edit the nbt the right way.

EntityMinecart entitySpawnCart = EntityMinecart.createMinecart(par1World, par1, par2, par3, 4);
          NBTTagCompound nbt = entitySpawnCart.getEntityData();
          nbt.setString("EntityId", "SnowMan");
          entitySpawnCart.writeToNBT(nbt);
          par1World.spawnEntityInWorld(entitySpawnCart);

getEntityData() doesn't guarantee that you'll get the data you want. In fact forge code:

public NBTTagCompound getEntityData()
    {
        if (customEntityData == null)
        {
            customEntityData = new NBTTagCompound();
        }
        return customEntityData;
    }

this means you don't get any data aside from a new tag compound. the easiest way to work around this though is to pseudo load the entity ie

EnitytMineCart e =  yadda yadda initialization stuff;
NBTTagCompound data = new NBTTagCompound();
e.writeToNBT(data);
data.setString("EntityId", "SnowMan");
e.readFromNBT(data);
w.spawnEntityInWorld(e);

I think its my java of the variables.

getEntityData() doesn't guarantee that you'll get the data you want. In fact forge code:

public NBTTagCompound getEntityData()
    {
        if (customEntityData == null)
        {
            customEntityData = new NBTTagCompound();
        }
        return customEntityData;
    }

this means you don't get any data aside from a new tag compound. the easiest way to work around this though is to pseudo load the entity ie

EnitytMineCart e =  yadda yadda initialization stuff;
NBTTagCompound data = new NBTTagCompound();
e.writeToNBT(data);
data.setString("EntityId", "SnowMan");
e.readFromNBT(data);
w.spawnEntityInWorld(e);

I think its my java of the variables.

thanks well right I don't know how use packets yet, but if I did I don't know what packet data I would need to send and what to do with it on the client side for it to update tell what do do to she the right mob in the mine cart spawner. I'll take a look at some tutorials when I get time but I don't know if any will teach me any more that how to send and handle the packets.

so any pointers or links you can give  I'll be sure to check out. thanks again.

thanks well right I don't know how use packets yet, but if I did I don't know what packet data I would need to send and what to do with it on the client side for it to update tell what do do to she the right mob in the mine cart spawner. I'll take a look at some tutorials when I get time but I don't know if any will teach me any more that how to send and handle the packets.

so any pointers or links you can give  I'll be sure to check out. thanks again.