Particles and Optifine

rich1051414

I know this problem has to do with optifine, but I am posting here so I could possible get an idea on how to achieve a little problem I am having using a different method in forge.

Im my mod, damage indicators mod, I have particles that render in world but always on top. Currently, the way I achieve this is by setting the depth test to always and rendering on fx layer 3, which works excellent with just Forge, however, optifine changes the render order, and entities always seem to render after particles, causing my always on top renderings to get rendered over by entities(but not blocks). If a block is in front of the particle, it renders, and in just forge, if an entity is on top, it renders, but with optifine installed, if the entity is in front, it blocks the particle.

I have tried Always glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST) and glDepthMask(false) and none of these work on rendering the particle in front. Of course, I could just ensure the particle spawns closer to the player, but if there are other entities in front of that, it blocks, and looks very odd, as only entities cause the particle to get blocked.

I have thought about moving the rendering to my tick handler, and having the standard rendering do no rendering, however, I haven't thought of an elegant solution to apply the offsets for the rendering.

If anyone has an idea, let me know :)

Would using entities instead of particles be an alternative? Keep in mind, they would need to be client side only, as this ensures servers can allow players with and without the mod to be on the server at the same time.

I know this problem has to do with optifine, but I am posting here so I could possible get an idea on how to achieve a little problem I am having using a different method in forge.

Im my mod, damage indicators mod, I have particles that render in world but always on top. Currently, the way I achieve this is by setting the depth test to always and rendering on fx layer 3, which works excellent with just Forge, however, optifine changes the render order, and entities always seem to render after particles, causing my always on top renderings to get rendered over by entities(but not blocks). If a block is in front of the particle, it renders, and in just forge, if an entity is on top, it renders, but with optifine installed, if the entity is in front, it blocks the particle.

I have tried Always glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST) and glDepthMask(false) and none of these work on rendering the particle in front. Of course, I could just ensure the particle spawns closer to the player, but if there are other entities in front of that, it blocks, and looks very odd, as only entities cause the particle to get blocked.

I have thought about moving the rendering to my tick handler, and having the standard rendering do no rendering, however, I haven't thought of an elegant solution to apply the offsets for the rendering.

If anyone has an idea, let me know :)

Would using entities instead of particles be an alternative? Keep in mind, they would need to be client side only, as this ensures servers can allow players with and without the mod to be on the server at the same time.