Custom Torches?

geekles

I am currently working on creating a mod for myself/group of friends to where we have the added difficulty of where the brightness of the world is much darker (mods like Hardcore-Darkness are currently outdated). It turns out it is very simple to just change the game's gamma and lower it to where the whole world is much darker. For the most part, it has been satisfactory. However, I feel that torches range of brightness is much smaller then I would like it. Obviously it is due to substantially dropped gamma value however if there's a way to either A.) modify the range at which lights can flood a room or B.) adjust the brightness of a torch then this should help counter this effect. Essentially, I want a much darker world however I want torch blocks and other light-emitting blocks to still light up the same range of blocks around it as it did when gamma was at its default value. I am still fairly new to the forge API so perhaps I am missing something obvious? Currently trying to create my own custom torch class however not sure how I can register and replace the existing Torch instance. Perhaps I am overthinking this? 

58 minutes ago, geekles said:

I am currently working on creating a mod for myself/group of friends to where we have the added difficulty of where the brightness of the world is much darker (mods like Hardcore-Darkness are currently outdated). It turns out it is very simple to just change the game's gamma and lower it to where the whole world is much darker. For the most part, it has been satisfactory. However, I feel that torches range of brightness is much smaller then I would like it. Obviously it is due to substantially dropped gamma value however if there's a way to either A.) modify the range at which lights can flood a room or B.) adjust the brightness of a torch then this should help counter this effect. Essentially, I want a much darker world however I want torch blocks and other light-emitting blocks to still light up the same range of blocks around it as it did when gamma was at its default value. I am still fairly new to the forge API so perhaps I am missing something obvious? Currently trying to create my own custom torch class however not sure how I can register and replace the existing Torch instance. Perhaps I am overthinking this? 

Isn't torch basically a block that can't be placed on the surfaces that aren't solid and detects neighborhood changes, with lightlevel and 6 facings?

Edited by poopoodice

1 hour ago, geekles said:

Torch is a block? Not sure how your question helps answer my question? 

Sorry I didn't read your question properly, I thought you were talking about creating a torch that can be placed on the ground. 

Do you mean something like this?

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/jabelars-moving-light-sources

Edited by poopoodice

4 hours ago, geekles said:

Have you tried using shaders? It sounds like they do what you want with some beautification as well. Maybe you'll have to write your own shader? Simply changing the range the torch lights up isn't a simple task. It already has the max range it can have. The only option you have would be to put "air" blocks that have a light value around the torch when they need to be there. Which is harder than it might sound. OR you can rewrite the whole lighting engine which would be horrid and likely impossible even with Reflection.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

1 hour ago, poopoodice said:

Sorry I didn't read your question properly, I thought you were talking about creating a torch that can be placed on the ground. 

Do you mean something like this?

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/jabelars-moving-light-sources

No, I am not trying to recreate a dynamic light source. I am simply trying to increase the amount of light torches emit. 

Minecraft.getMinecraft().gameSettings.gammaSetting

Read the question carefully, this is something I have already played around with. Yes, I am able to make the world much darker, however, this has made the amount of light torches emit quite minimal and requires at least one torch about every 5 blocks which then makes the mod annoying to use due to the excessive need for torches. Making the torches brighter to counter the reduced gamma would be ideal. 

43 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Have you tried using shaders? It sounds like they do what you want with some beautification as well. Maybe you'll have to write your own shader? Simply changing the range the torch lights up isn't a simple task. It already has the max range it can have. The only option you have would be to put "air" blocks that have a light value around the torch when they need to be there. Which is harder than it might sound. OR you can rewrite the whole lighting engine which would be horrid and likely impossible even with Reflection.

Did not consider making a custom shader, however I don't feel this would be the best thing for me to do. Largely since I like to play with shaders and writing one would prevent me from using other shaders. Also this would add the optional ability for someone to add or remove the darkness shader pack when it is intended that everyone on the modded server share the same difficulty. Naturally, the rest of your suggestions are things I feared would be the result, and I would rather deal with placing more torches then rewriting large portions of the game's code. Although I am still quite convinced that a simpler solution exists.

Edited by geekles

it possible to adjust the brightness of the torch corresponding to the gamma level

Not beyond the maximum light value, which is what the torch is already set to.

As Animefan8888 suggested, I suspect the easiest way of doing this would be with the fake air.

Fancy 3D Graphing Calculator mod, with many different coordinate systems.

Lightweight 3D/2D position/vector transformations library, also with support for different coordinate systems.

9 hours ago, geekles said:

Not sure if that's what you're talking about, but you probably want to override 

generateLightBrightnessTable

in 

Dimension

By overriding this, you can make the whole world very dark even in day and glowing blocks won't have changed radius of glowing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geekles said:

Did not consider making a custom shader, however I don't feel this would be the best thing for me to do. Largely since I like to play with shaders and writing one would prevent me from using other shaders. Also this would add the optional ability for someone to add or remove the darkness shader pack when it is intended that everyone on the modded server share the same difficulty. Naturally, the rest of your suggestions are things I feared would be the result, and I would rather deal with placing more torches then rewriting large portions of the game's code. Although I am still quite convinced that a simpler solution exists.

There is no simple solution. The lighting is hard-coded into the chunk format in the range of 0-15. You cannot simply exceed the brightness value over 15 to make a light brighter.

However, you could dim the brightness of all other light-emitting blocks as well as the brightness of the sky while tuning the alpha value up for more contrast between torches and other lights.

Otherwise, shader is probably the only solution in this case. The shader under discussion here is not the shader you mentioned; it is a program (part of your mod in this case) that directly alter how rendering data is pushed and processed in the GPU via OpenGL. You can still enable other shaders with a shader mod while having a custom shader that amplifies torch lighting.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

19 hours ago, Krevik said:

Not sure if that's what you're talking about, but you probably want to override 

generateLightBrightnessTable

in 

Dimension

By overriding this, you can make the whole world very dark even in day and glowing blocks won't have changed radius of glowing.

Hmm, I like this, however, how would I go about registering my version of the Dimension? I'll try forcefully changing the stored instance of the dimension in the world class via reflection, however I would imagine this is a very hacky solution that will likely either not work at all, or just, in general, be very buggy. 

Edited by geekles

So I gave what I said a try and after quite a bit of tweaking the solution has worked out very well for me. Managed to increase the brightness by modifying the constants used to calculate the lightBrightnessTable. I feared forcefully updating the instance of the Dimension in the World instance for the client would screw something up but the world performs without any errors/bugs (at least from what I am aware of). Naturally now tweaking the gamma has allowed me to get the pitch blackness I was looking for while also being able to brighten up light-emitting objects so that they don't need to be used extensively. Some added bonuses from this solution is a light flickering effect. I suppose at some point it was implemented into the torches and other light-emitting objects however barely noticeable. Because the contrast between the light and pitch blackness is so large, these minor flickering effects are far more apparent however not so much to where they are annoying; so I just found that to be a neat little effect. I'm glad I was able to achieve this effect with such a simple solution.

Thank you.

• Like 1