import net.minecraft.util.Direction;
import net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.Capability;
import net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.CapabilityInject;
import net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.ICapabilitySerializable;
import net.minecraftforge.common.util.LazyOptional;

public class TickDataProvider implements ICapabilitySerializable<INBT> {

@CapabilityInject(TickData.class)
	public static Capability<TickData> capability = null;
	private LazyOptional<TickData> instance = LazyOptional.of(capability::getDefaultInstance);

@Override
	public <T> LazyOptional<T> getCapability(Capability<T> cap, Direction side) {

return cap == capability ? instance.cast() : LazyOptional.empty();
	}

@Override
	public INBT serializeNBT() {

return capability.getStorage().writeNBT(capability, this.instance.orElseThrow(() -> new IllegalArgumentException("LazyOptional must not be empty!")), null);
	}

@Override
	public void deserializeNBT(INBT nbt) {

capability.getStorage().readNBT(capability, this.instance.orElseThrow(() -> new IllegalArgumentException("LazyOptional must not be empty!")), null, nbt);
	}
}

Storage

Spoiler

package mymod.capability;

import net.minecraft.nbt.CompoundNBT;
import net.minecraft.nbt.INBT;
import net.minecraft.util.Direction;
import net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.Capability;
import net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.Capability.IStorage;

public class TickDataStorage implements IStorage<TickData> {

@Override
	public INBT writeNBT(Capability<TickData> capability, TickData instance, Direction side) {

CompoundNBT tag = new CompoundNBT();
		tag.putInt("tick_last", instance.get());

return tag;
	}

@Override
	public void readNBT(Capability<TickData> capability, TickData instance, Direction side, INBT nbt) {

CompoundNBT tag = (CompoundNBT) nbt;

instance.set(tag.getInt("tick_last"));
	}
}

@Mod

Spoiler

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(bus=Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.MOD)
    public static class RegistryEvents {	

@SubscribeEvent
    	public static void onAttachCapabilities(AttachCapabilitiesEvent<Entity> event) {

if (event.getObject() instanceof PlayerEntity) {

event.addCapability(new ResourceLocation("My_Mod", "tick_last"), new TickDataProvider());
    		}
    	}
 }

Chert_Entity

Spoiler

package mymod.thrown;

import net.minecraft.entity.player.PlayerEntity;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.stats.Stats;
import net.minecraft.util.ActionResult;
import net.minecraft.util.ActionResultType;
import net.minecraft.util.Hand;
import net.minecraft.util.SoundCategory;
import net.minecraft.util.SoundEvents;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

public class Chert extends Item { // Copies EggItem

public Chert(Item.Properties builder) {

super(builder);
    }

/**
     * Called to trigger the item's "innate" right click behavior. To handle when this item is used on a Block, see
     * {@link #onItemUse}.
     */

public ActionResult<ItemStack> onItemRightClick(World worldIn, PlayerEntity playerIn, Hand handIn) {

ItemStack itemstack = playerIn.getHeldItem(handIn); 

if (!worldIn.isRemote) {

/*
	    	if (itemstack.getTag() == null) {

itemstack.setTag(new CompoundNBT());
	    	}
			*/

if (playerIn.ticksExisted - itemstack.getTag().getInt("tick_last") >= 16) {

itemstack.getTag().putInt("tick_last", playerIn.ticksExisted);

if (!playerIn.abilities.isCreativeMode) {

itemstack.shrink(1);
		        }

worldIn.playSound((PlayerEntity) null, playerIn.posX, playerIn.posY, playerIn.posZ, SoundEvents.ENTITY_EGG_THROW, SoundCategory.PLAYERS, 0.5F, 0.4F / (random.nextFloat() * 0.4F + 0.8F));  

Chert_Entity chert_entity = new Chert_Entity(worldIn, playerIn);
				chert_entity.func_213884_b(itemstack);
				chert_entity.shoot(playerIn, playerIn.rotationPitch, playerIn.rotationYaw, 0, 1.1F, 3);
			    worldIn.addEntity(chert_entity);

playerIn.addStat(Stats.ITEM_USED.get(this));

return new ActionResult<>(ActionResultType.SUCCESS, itemstack);

}  
    	}

return new ActionResult<>(ActionResultType.PASS, itemstack);
   }
}

The commented out code in my entity class is what I was using before, but this meant that each stack had its own NBT data, and they couldn't be stacked together after one of them was "tossed". So I did the capability stuff that I followed here but I am trying to figure out how to work the logic, because right now they do not toss. 

Edited by MineModder2000

5 hours ago, MineModder2000 said:

itemstack.getTag().getInt("tick_last")

Well of course it doesnt work you're still trying to get the value from the ItemStack. You need to get it from the capability you attached to the player.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

2 minutes ago, MineModder2000 said:

that takes a parameter..... 

Let's take a look at what type that parameter is. It's Capability. Ok I'm not sure what value I should use here. Lets look for places where getCapability are called within forge. Ok opening the Call Hierarchy by right clicking on getCapability and clicking Open Call Hierarchy reveals Forge calls that method in several places. Lets look at one in net.minecraftforge.fluids.FluidUtil. It seems to use the CapabilityFluidHandler.FLUID_HANDLER_ITEM_CAPABILITY as the parameter. Lets take a look at that field. Oh it's a field annotated with @CapabilityInject annotation. I remember making one of those....

8 hours ago, MineModder2000 said:

public class TickDataProvider implements ICapabilitySerializable<INBT> {
@CapabilityInject(TickData.class)
public static Capability<TickData> capability = null;

Let's use that value.

• Thanks 1

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

16 hours ago, Animefan8888 said:

Let's take a look at what type that parameter is. It's Capability. Ok I'm not sure what value I should use here. Lets look for places where getCapability are called within forge. Ok opening the Call Hierarchy by right clicking on getCapability and clicking Open Call Hierarchy reveals Forge calls that method in several places. Lets look at one in net.minecraftforge.fluids.FluidUtil. It seems to use the CapabilityFluidHandler.FLUID_HANDLER_ITEM_CAPABILITY as the parameter. Lets take a look at that field. Oh it's a field annotated with @CapabilityInject annotation. I remember making one of those....

Let's use that value.

I was aware of that value......I should've been clearer in my question, as I am confused as to why the getter method needs a parameter at all. Anyways how do I retrieve the "tick_last" data from the capability?

35 minutes ago, MineModder2000 said:

as I am confused as to why the getter method needs a parameter at all.

There are multiple capabilities attached to the player. Which one do you want?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

2 hours ago, MineModder2000 said:

Well in this case the one I made custom.

That's what the parameter is for, then. You pass in the identifier for that capability, which is that thing that the @CapabilityInject annotation is applied to.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

3 hours ago, MineModder2000 said:

But I'm not sure how to retrieve data from it....

getCapability(Capability) returns a LazyOptional instance. That instance is the one in your ICapabilityProvider class. Now the LazyOptional has several methods to retrieve the value stored inside of it. Which will your ITickData. You can make whatever values you want accessible via your ITickData.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Draco18s said:

That's what the parameter is for, then. You pass in the identifier for that capability, which is that thing that the @CapabilityInject annotation is applied to.

Yes I understood this, I was asking about how to get variables from the capability. 

2 hours ago, Animefan8888 said:

getCapability(Capability) returns a LazyOptional instance. That instance is the one in your ICapabilityProvider class. Now the LazyOptional has several methods to retrieve the value stored inside of it. Which will your ITickData. You can make whatever values you want accessible via your ITickData.

Tried this :

TickDataFactory data = new TickDataFactory();

if (playerIn.ticksExisted - playerIn.getCapability(TickDataProvider.capability).orElse(data).get() >= 16) {

playerIn.getCapability(TickDataProvider.capability).orElse(data).set(playerIn.ticksExisted); .......

Not quite sure how to do it though....

Edited by MineModder2000

3 minutes ago, MineModder2000 said:

Not quite sure how to do it though....

I'd do it like so.

ITickData data = player.getCapability(CAPABILITY_THING).orElseThrow(IllegalStateException::new);

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Animefan8888 said:

I'd do it like so.

ITickData data = player.getCapability(CAPABILITY_THING).orElseThrow(IllegalStateException::new);

So....

TickData data = playerIn.getCapability(TickDataProvider.capability).orElseThrow(IllegalStateException::new);

if (!worldIn.isRemote) {

if (playerIn.ticksExisted - playerIn.getCapability(TickDataProvider.capability).orElse(data).get() >= 16) {

playerIn.getCapability(TickDataProvider.capability).orElse(data).set(playerIn.ticksExisted);

That seems way to redundant to be the correct way. Anyways the capability variable set in the provider class is null (as it was in the code I copied from this thread), so that gives a null pointer error when doing that.

Edited by MineModder2000

6 minutes ago, MineModder2000 said:

playerIn.ticksExisted - playerIn.getCapability

You already did a getCap action:

6 minutes ago, MineModder2000 said:

TickData data = playerIn.getCapability

Why are you querying it again? Just use the object you already have.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

You already did a getCap action:

Why are you querying it again? Just use the object you already have.

Oh my, morning brain fog is to blame. 

TickData data = playerIn.getCapability(TickDataProvider.capability).orElseThrow(IllegalStateException::new);

if (!worldIn.isRemote) {

if (playerIn.ticksExisted - data.get() >= 16) {

data.set(playerIn.ticksExisted);

But I am still getting null pointer on the line that initializes the data object. 

1 hour ago, MineModder2000 said:

But I am still getting null pointer on the line that initializes the data object. 

I can only assume you'll figure it out on your own since you haven't posted the crash.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

I can only assume you'll figure it out on your own since you haven't posted the crash.

Spoiler

Time: 9/28/19 11:25 AM
Description: Unexpected error

java.lang.IllegalStateException: null
    at net.minecraftforge.common.util.LazyOptional.orElseThrow(LazyOptional.java:261) ~[forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {}
    at mymod.thrown.Chert.onItemRightClick(Chert.java:32) ~[main/:?] {}
    at net.minecraft.item.ItemStack.useItemRightClick(ItemStack.java:201) ~[forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {}
    at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerController.processRightClick(PlayerController.java:335) ~[forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.rightClickMouse(Minecraft.java:1302) ~[forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.processKeyBinds(Minecraft.java:1541) ~[forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runTick(Minecraft.java:1374) ~[forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runGameLoop(Minecraft.java:901) ~[forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:384) ~[forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:128) ~[forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:55) ~[forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:37) [modlauncher-3.2.0.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:50) [modlauncher-3.2.0.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:68) [modlauncher-3.2.0.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:80) [modlauncher-3.2.0.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:65) [modlauncher-3.2.0.jar:?] {}
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:101) [forge-1.14.4-28.1.0_mapped_snapshot_20190719-1.14.3-recomp.jar:?] {}

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Thread: Client thread
Stacktrace:
    at net.minecraftforge.common.util.LazyOptional.orElseThrow(LazyOptional.java:261)
    at mymod.thrown.Chert.onItemRightClick(Chert.java:32)
    at net.minecraft.item.ItemStack.useItemRightClick(ItemStack.java:201)
    at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerController.processRightClick(PlayerController.java:335)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.rightClickMouse(Minecraft.java:1302)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.processKeyBinds(Minecraft.java:1541)

-- Affected level --
Details:
    All players: 1 total; [ClientPlayerEntity['Dev'/33, l='MpServer', x=547.98, y=64.00, z=300.63]]
    Chunk stats: Client Chunk Cache: 729, 441
    Level dimension: DimensionType{minecraft:overworld}
    Level name: MpServer
    Level seed: 0
    Level generator: ID 00 - default, ver 1. Features enabled: false
    Level generator options: {}
    Level spawn location: World: (240,64,-168), Chunk: (at 0,4,8 in 15,-11; contains blocks 240,0,-176 to 255,255,-161), Region: (0,-1; contains chunks 0,-32 to 31,-1, blocks 0,0,-512 to 511,255,-1)
    Level time: 58370 game time, 7926 day time
    Level storage version: 0x00000 - Unknown?
    Level weather: Rain time: 0 (now: false), thunder time: 0 (now: false)
    Level game mode: Game mode: creative (ID 1). Hardcore: false. Cheats: false
    Server brand: forge
    Server type: Integrated singleplayer server
Stacktrace:
    at net.minecraft.client.world.ClientWorld.fillCrashReport(ClientWorld.java:425)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.addGraphicsAndWorldToCrashReport(Minecraft.java:1821)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:405)
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:128)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:55)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:37)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:50)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:68)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:80)
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:65)
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:101)

Edited by MineModder2000

3 minutes ago, MineModder2000 said:

java.lang.IllegalStateException

This isn't a NullPointerException.

The capability is never attached to the player. The AttachCapabilityEvent is not fired on the MOD event bus its fired on the FORGE event bus.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MineModder2000 said:

Actually not so quick. It doesn't work (cherts don't toss) when I exit and reload a file, only works on a new game. 

Probably because you are saving your ITickDats to the disk and using PlayerEntity#ticksExisted. Which is set to 0 when the player loads, but your ITickData is still what it was before you closed the game last.

• Thanks 1