Bounding Box of an entity [1.12.2]

poopoodice

How do I suppose to change a custom entity's collision box, note the entity isn't a livingbased entity, it's more similar to projectiles, I've checked the vanilla fireball entity class, render class, and model class but I either missed or didn't notice that there are any thing that is related to the bounding box. If so, which method should I use in which class of the entity? 

Looks like it returns an (x, y, z) representation of the pitch and yaw of the entity. Seems like it's got a magnitude of 1, since Entity#getVectorForRotation() uses straight trigonometric functions and no scalar.

Also, it might help you out if you find how to open declarations and view references in your development program. In Eclipse, you right-click on the thing you want to view, and then > Open Declaration, or r-click > References > Workspace. It's a really useful tool for finding where/how something happens.

Fancy 3D Graphing Calculator mod, with many different coordinate systems.

Lightweight 3D/2D position/vector transformations library, also with support for different coordinate systems.

5 minutes ago, SerpentDagger said:

Looks like it returns an (x, y, z) representation of the pitch and yaw of the entity. Seems like it's got a magnitude of 1, since Entity#getVectorForRotation() uses straight trigonometric functions and no scalar.

Also, it might help you out if you find how to open declarations and view references in your development program. In Eclipse, you right-click on the thing you want to view, and then > Open Declaration, or r-click > References > Workspace. It's a really useful tool for finding where/how something happens.

yea I do know you can ctrl left-click the method to open the declaration, I was just wondering how to make an entity that launches base on where the player's aiming...... and that's a lot more harder than I thought. Thanks for your tips tho. Do you think it is easier for EntityBullet to extend EntityThrowable or just Entity? I tried lots of things based on fireball but they all act weird or not function properly.

Actually, for a bullet I'd try extending EntityArrow, or remaking some of its code with IProjectile implementation & Entity extension. I think it already does everything you're likely to want it to.

• Like 1

Lightweight 3D/2D position/vector transformations library, also with support for different coordinate systems.

9 minutes ago, SerpentDagger said:

Actually, for a bullet I'd try extending EntityArrow, or remaking some of its code with IProjectile implementation & Entity extension. I think it already does everything you're likely to want it to.

Ive read the code of those projectiles, they are really confusing because they too much math calculations and different variables such as motions, accelerations etc. (I’m suck at mechanics). But yeah, I will try again later on. Just one last question, I’ve checked Mr Crayfish's gun mod and flansmod source code, why did they wrote such complicate code, isn’t bullet just a simple entity?

I think most of what you're referring to is the raycasting, right? My suspicion is that it increases the accuracy of hit-detection with fast-moving objects. If you only check collisions every 20th of a second, then if your entity is traveling at more than (20)(the target's bounding box size + projectile's bounding box size) per second, there will be unchecked gaps, which mean that your projectile would have a {[(gap size per second)/(speed per second)] * 100} percent chance of failing for every shot that should've hit.

7 hours ago, SerpentDagger said:

I think most of what you're referring to is the raycasting, right? My suspicion is that it increases the accuracy of hit-detection with fast-moving objects. If you only check collisions every 20th of a second, then if your entity is traveling at more than (20)(the target's bounding box size + projectile's bounding box size) per second, there will be unchecked gaps, which mean that your projectile would have a {[(gap size per second)/(speed per second)] * 100} percent chance of failing for every shot that should've hit.

That's exactly what Im trying to say. The projectile start acting weird when its acceleration gets too high. The bounding box gets weird as well.

3 minutes ago, poopoodice said:

The projectile start acting weird when its acceleration gets too high. The bounding box gets weird as well.

That's because the bullet moves past the entity. It never collides because it was never actually in the same space as the entity. Ray Tracing is a way to ask the world if there is anything between point A and point B. If there is then you handle that accordingly.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

5 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

That's because the bullet moves past the entity. It never collides because it was never actually in the same space as the entity. Ray Tracing is a way to ask the world if there is anything between point A and point B. If there is then you handle that accordingly.

So basically I fI want to make I bullet, I dont even have to "launch" the bullet, I just damage the nearest entity that is on the path? Will it work if I done something like that.

Edited by poopoodice

Just now, poopoodice said:

So basically I fI want to make I bullet, I dont even have to "launch" the bullet, I just damage the nearest entity that is on the path?

Technically yes, but it wouldn't allow for the target to move out of the way.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Just now, poopoodice said:

Does you mean the entity wont be able to move or ?

If you used ray tracing to represent the bullet, and didn't use an Entity at all. Your ray tracing would happen in a single tick before the target of the shooter could move. Long range shots would be instant. There would be no leading your shot.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

If you used ray tracing to represent the bullet, and didn't use an Entity at all. Your ray tracing would happen in a single tick before the target of the shooter could move. Long range shots would be instant. There would be no leading your shot.

Sounds nice isnt it? It makes everything much easier although it will not be as real as others; ).

Another question is do I still need to make an entity for this or can I just simply do it in the gun init?

But does that also means that I can't make such stuff like bullet holes, particles etc.?

Edited by poopoodice