[SOLVED] Mana game mechanic in 1.14.4 help

cinsiian

Hello everyone,

how can i implement a mana mechanic in the game?

I understood that I need capabilities to make the mana mechanic itself, I tried but seems that the current capabilities documentation is outdated, some voids, classes dont event exist in my directory.

I also need to make a "HUD" like the hearts with a custom texture. I managed to learn that I can do that in the event RenderGameOverlayEvent. I tried but i cannot understand how to print the texture in the overlay.

I've seen many tutorials but unfortunately, they are all outdated.

Thanks for reading.

- cinsiian

Edited by cinsiian

27 minutes ago, cinsiian said:

but seems that the current capabilities documentation is outdated

They haven't changed. As in, they don't need to change. The documentation remains accurate despite Minecraft having updated because Capabilities are a Forge feature and simply moved forward. There might be some tiny differences here and there where a function name gets changed, but its all stuff easily resolvable just by looking at the classes involved.

29 minutes ago, cinsiian said:

I managed to learn that I can do that in the event RenderGameOverlayEvent. I tried but i cannot understand how to print the texture in the overlay.

The event hook hasn't really changed, you just need to find the new method name for rendering a texture on screen. You can figure this out by looking at other classes that render textures on screen.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I've got one from 1.12:

https://github.com/Draco18s/ReasonableRealism/tree/1.12.1/src/main/java/com/draco18s/farming/entities/capabilities

I haven't migrated that code to 1.14 yet, but it should be 99% functional.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

I do get an error when I try to get the Capability of the mana:

[11set2019 21:20:03.439] [Server thread/ERROR] [net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus/EVENTBUS]: Exception caught during firing event: cinsiian.urtima.common.capability.mana.PlayerMana cannot be cast to net.minecraftforge.common.util.LazyOptional
	Index: 2
	Listeners:
		0: NORMAL
		1: net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus$$Lambda$2050/614462502@67307e64
		2: ASM: cinsiian.urtima.common.CommonHandler@4023efd4 onPlayerLogsIn(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/PlayerEvent$PlayerLoggedInEvent;)V
java.lang.ClassCastException: cinsiian.urtima.common.capability.mana.PlayerMana cannot be cast to net.minecraftforge.common.util.LazyOptional
	at cinsiian.urtima.common.capability.mana.ManaProvider.getCapability(ManaProvider.java:20)
	at net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.CapabilityDispatcher.getCapability(CapabilityDispatcher.java:102)
	at net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.CapabilityProvider.getCapability(CapabilityProvider.java:118)
	at net.minecraft.entity.LivingEntity.getCapability(LivingEntity.java:3110)
	at net.minecraft.entity.player.PlayerEntity.getCapability(PlayerEntity.java:2277)
	at cinsiian.urtima.common.CommonHandler.onPlayerLogsIn(CommonHandler.java:89)
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.ASMEventHandler_7_CommonHandler_onPlayerLogsIn_PlayerLoggedInEvent.invoke(.dynamic)
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:80)
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:258)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.hooks.BasicEventHooks.firePlayerLoggedIn(BasicEventHooks.java:43)
	at net.minecraft.server.management.PlayerList.initializeConnectionToPlayer(PlayerList.java:203)
	at net.minecraft.network.login.ServerLoginNetHandler.tryAcceptPlayer(ServerLoginNetHandler.java:119)
	at net.minecraft.network.login.ServerLoginNetHandler.tick(ServerLoginNetHandler.java:63)
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.tick(NetworkManager.java:241)
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkSystem.tick(NetworkSystem.java:148)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.updateTimeLightAndEntities(MinecraftServer.java:882)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.tick(MinecraftServer.java:800)
	at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.tick(IntegratedServer.java:118)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:646)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
IMana mana = (IMana) player.getCapability(ManaProvider.MANA, null);

10 minutes ago, cinsiian said:

I do get an error when I try to get the Capability of the mana:

[11set2019 21:20:03.439] [Server thread/ERROR] [net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus/EVENTBUS]: Exception caught during firing event: cinsiian.urtima.common.capability.mana.PlayerMana cannot be cast to net.minecraftforge.common.util.LazyOptional
	Index: 2
	Listeners:
		1: net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus$$Lambda$2050/614462502@67307e64
		2: ASM: cinsiian.urtima.common.CommonHandler@4023efd4 onPlayerLogsIn(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/PlayerEvent$PlayerLoggedInEvent;)V
java.lang.ClassCastException: cinsiian.urtima.common.capability.mana.PlayerMana cannot be cast to net.minecraftforge.common.util.LazyOptional
	at cinsiian.urtima.common.capability.mana.ManaProvider.getCapability(ManaProvider.java:20)
	at net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.CapabilityDispatcher.getCapability(CapabilityDispatcher.java:102)
	at net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.CapabilityProvider.getCapability(CapabilityProvider.java:118)
	at net.minecraft.entity.LivingEntity.getCapability(LivingEntity.java:3110)
	at net.minecraft.entity.player.PlayerEntity.getCapability(PlayerEntity.java:2277)
	at cinsiian.urtima.common.CommonHandler.onPlayerLogsIn(CommonHandler.java:89)
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.ASMEventHandler_7_CommonHandler_onPlayerLogsIn_PlayerLoggedInEvent.invoke(.dynamic)
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:80)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.hooks.BasicEventHooks.firePlayerLoggedIn(BasicEventHooks.java:43)
	at net.minecraft.server.management.PlayerList.initializeConnectionToPlayer(PlayerList.java:203)
	at net.minecraft.network.login.ServerLoginNetHandler.tryAcceptPlayer(ServerLoginNetHandler.java:119)
	at net.minecraft.network.login.ServerLoginNetHandler.tick(ServerLoginNetHandler.java:63)
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.tick(NetworkManager.java:241)
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkSystem.tick(NetworkSystem.java:148)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.updateTimeLightAndEntities(MinecraftServer.java:882)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.tick(MinecraftServer.java:800)
	at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.tick(IntegratedServer.java:118)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:646)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

IMana mana = (IMana) player.getCapability(ManaProvider.MANA, null);

show more of your code and dont cast to IMana

1 minute ago, cinsiian said:

Should I use LazyOptional.cast(); ?

No. Does it return an IMana object?

Edited by Draco18s

2 minutes ago, cinsiian said:

Should I use LazyOptional.cast(); ?

You might not understand how a LazyOptional works take a look at this thread.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Ok, I did it but now I get another crash:

[11set2019 23:15:16.716] [modloading-worker-2/ERROR] [net.minecraftforge.fml.javafmlmod.FMLModContainer/]: Exception caught during firing event: null
	Index: 1
	Listeners:
		1: net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus$$Lambda$2061/559879182@34f88844
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
	at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
	at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
	at net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.CapabilityManager.lambda$attachCapabilityToMethod$5(CapabilityManager.java:145)
	at net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.CapabilityManager.lambda$register$0(CapabilityManager.java:79)
	at java.util.ArrayList.forEach(Unknown Source)
	at net.minecraftforge.common.capabilities.CapabilityManager.register(CapabilityManager.java:79)
	at cinsiian.urtima.Urtima.setup(Urtima.java:44)
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus.doCastFilter(EventBus.java:212)
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus.lambda$addListener$11(EventBus.java:204)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.javafmlmod.FMLModContainer.fireEvent(FMLModContainer.java:106)
	at java.util.function.Consumer.lambda$andThen$0(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.function.Consumer.lambda$andThen$0(Unknown Source)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.ModContainer.transitionState(ModContainer.java:112)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.ModList.lambda$null$10(ModList.java:133)
	at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachTask.compute(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.CountedCompleter.exec(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.doExec(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.doInvoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateParallel(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateParallel(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$Head.forEach(Unknown Source)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.ModList.lambda$dispatchParallelEvent$11(ModList.java:133)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask$AdaptedRunnableAction.exec(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.doExec(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at cinsiian.urtima.common.capability.mana.ManaProvider.<clinit>(ManaProvider.java:14)
	... 34 more

Tell me if you need github for this.

ManaProvider.java:14 -- public static IMana INSTANCE = MANA.getDefaultInstance();

Urtima.java:44 -- CapabilityManager.INSTANCE.register(IMana.class, new ManaNBTStorage(), new ManaNBTStorage.Factory());

Edited by cinsiian

2 minutes ago, cinsiian said:

It's the ManaProvider class: https://github.com/cinsiian/mod

Your IMana instance in your provider can't be static if you are gonna use MANA.getDefaultInstance().

return (LazyOptional<T>) INSTANCE;

You can't do this either don't know if I'm looking at outdated code or not.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Just now, cinsiian said:

Isn't that the thing I should return?

LazyOptional is the type that you need to return yes. But is IMana a LazyOptional instance? No therefore you can't cast it into a LazyOptional. You need to have a LazyOptional instance in your ICapabilityProvider.

31 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

LazyOptional is the type that you need to return yes. But is IMana a LazyOptional instance? No therefore you can't cast it into a LazyOptional. You need to have a LazyOptional instance in your ICapabilityProvider.

What LazyOptional ?? like the default one this.getCompatibility() ?

1 hour ago, cinsiian said:

What LazyOptional ?? like the default one this.getCompatibility() ?

LazyOptional is the Type that getCapability() returns. Whatever it is that you want to return, it must be a LazyOptional. Whatever type it is that you get from getCapability, it must be a LazyOptional. In order to handle turning something into a LazyOptional or vice versa, you can't do it with a cast, because that's not what casting does.

58 minutes ago, cinsiian said:

to return in the getCapability() can i just make a new LazyOptional?

You can but you should not. For a variety of reasons.

@CapabilityInject(IMana.class)
	public static final Capability<IMana> MANA = null;
	public IMana INSTANCE = MANA.getDefaultInstance();

@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
	public <T> LazyOptional<T> getCapability(Capability<T> cap, Direction side) {
		return (LazyOptional<T>) INSTANCE;
	}

How can I return an actual instance of LazyOptional?