[1.14.4] Spawn custom entity from Dispenser

JimiIT92

As the title said i thought that if i put a spawn egg inside the Dispenser and then activate the Dispenser, this will spawn the mob. However the dispenser is dropping the egg as a normal item. Is there a directive to tell Minecraft to spawn the entity relative to the egg from dispenser or should i implement a custom dispense behaviour?

This is how i register the eggs

@SubscribeEvent
    public static void onEntitySpawnEggRegistry(final RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) {
        event.getRegistry().registerAll(
                AntiBlazeItems.BLAZE_BAT_SPAWN_EGG = AntiBlazeEntities.createEntitySpawnEgg(AntiBlazeEntities.BLAZE_BAT, 0xFFF847, 0x8B3401, "blaze_bat_spawn_egg"),
                AntiBlazeItems.STRAY_BAT_SPAWN_EGG = AntiBlazeEntities.createEntitySpawnEgg(AntiBlazeEntities.STRAY_BAT, 0x5A8A94, 0xDEF1F6, "stray_bat_spawn_egg")
        );
    }

And this is the createEntitySpawnEgg function

public static Item createEntitySpawnEgg(EntityType<?> entity, int primaryColor, int secondaryColor, String name) {
        SpawnEggItem spawnEgg = new SpawnEggItem(entity, primaryColor, secondaryColor, new Item.Properties().group(ItemGroup.MISC));
        spawnEgg.setRegistryName(name);
        return spawnEgg;
    }

If you want to take a deeper look into the source code you can find the repository here
https://github.com/JimiIT92/AntiblazeMod

Don't blame me if i always ask for your help. I just want to learn to be better :)

14 minutes ago, JimiIT92 said:

should i implement a custom dispense behaviour?

If it's not working for your own SpawnEggItem(s) then the behaviors are being registered before your Item is created which is a little weird. So you should register one for your self you can look in net.minecraft.dispenser.IDispenseItemBehavior. Its in the init method just look for SpawnEggItem.getEggs() for where it registers the spawn egg behavior.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

I've launched the client in debug, setting breakpoints in the SpawnEggItem.getEggs() method and in the createSpawnEgg method. The call stack is this
SpawnEggItem.getEggs(): EGGS size here is 58
createSpawnEgg for every entity i'm registering (2)
SpawnEggItem.getEggs(): EGGS size here is 60

So i guess the Entities are registered to the EGGS field of the SpawnEggItem...

Don't blame me if i always ask for your help. I just want to learn to be better :)

BTW by doing this after registering the egg items it works

DefaultDispenseItemBehavior spawnEggItemBehavior = new DefaultDispenseItemBehavior() {
            public ItemStack dispenseStack(IBlockSource source, ItemStack stack) {
                Direction direction = source.getBlockState().get(DispenserBlock.FACING);
                ((SpawnEggItem)stack.getItem()).getType(stack.getTag()).spawn(source.getWorld(), stack, null, source.getBlockPos().offset(direction), SpawnReason.DISPENSER, direction != Direction.UP, false);
                stack.shrink(1);
                return stack;
            }
        };

DispenserBlock.registerDispenseBehavior(AntiBlazeItems.BLAZE_BAT_SPAWN_EGG, spawnEggItemBehavior);

I don't know if this is intended or not, at least if so i guess there should be a spawn egg item behavior property available

8 minutes ago, JimiIT92 said:

So i guess the Entities are registered to the EGGS field of the SpawnEggItem...

Yes? I'm not sure why you brought that up. I was saying that the dispenser behavior might be added/registered before your eggs get registers/initialized. Therefore they don't get added to the behavior.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Got it, i misinterpreted the question. But by looking at the fact that manually registering the behavior it works i guess this is the case, the behavior is not registered when the spawn egg is registered. Is there something wrong in how or where i register the egg?

2 minutes ago, JimiIT92 said:

Is there something wrong in how or where i register the egg?

Nope it's probably a bug try updating to the most recent version of forge.

3 minutes ago, JimiIT92 said:

Tried with the latest forge mdk version (28.0.102), it still drops the item if i don't manually register the dispense behavior

Maybe post an issue on the github for minecraft forge.

1 minute ago, Animefan8888 said:

Maybe post an issue on the github for minecraft forge.

Doing right now ?? 

EDIT: I've seen this PR that is similar to the issue https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/pull/2118
Maybe i'll just update that to report that is occurring with latest version?

Edited by JimiIT92
Found similar PR