[1.14.4][SOLVED] drop block inventory on destroy

andGarrett

I can't, for the life of me, find the way vanilla blocks drop their inventory when they are destroyed, nor can I find a forum post that explains it. do I add something to the blocks "onPlayerDestroy" method? do I do something in the container class?

[SOLUTION]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

add this to your block class

@Override
    public void onReplaced(BlockState state, World worldIn, BlockPos pos, BlockState newState, boolean isMoving) {
        if (state.hasTileEntity() && state.getBlock() != newState.getBlock()) {
            // drops everything in the inventory
            worldIn.getTileEntity(pos).getCapability(CapabilityItemHandler.ITEM_HANDLER_CAPABILITY).ifPresent(h -> {
                for (int i = 0; i < h.getSlots(); i++) {
                    spawnAsEntity(worldIn, pos, h.getStackInSlot(i));
                }
            });
            worldIn.removeTileEntity(pos);
        }
    }

Edited by andGarrett
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, andGarrett said:

I can't, for the life of me, find the way vanilla blocks drop their inventory when they are destroyed, nor can I find a forum post that explains it. do I add something to the blocks "onPlayerDestroy" method? do I do something in the container class?

i dont know if it still work in 1.14 but in 1.12 in the yourblock.java, you use breakBlock().

7 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Not true.

This is handled through Block#onReplaced. Check out e.g. AbstractFurnaceBlock to see where vanilla does it.

how do I get the my blocks inventory from within the blocks class for "dropInventoryItems(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IInventory inventory)"

@Override
    public void onReplaced(BlockState state, World worldIn, BlockPos pos, BlockState newState, boolean isMoving) {
        InventoryHelper.dropInventoryItems(worldIn, pos, ???);
    }

7 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

To not use that method. IInventory is legacy API.

That's how AbstractFurnaceBlock, as you mentioned before, seems to do it in 1.14.4-28.0.45:

if (state.getBlock() != newState.getBlock()) {
         TileEntity tileentity = worldIn.getTileEntity(pos);
         if (tileentity instanceof AbstractFurnaceTileEntity) {
            InventoryHelper.dropInventoryItems(worldIn, pos, (AbstractFurnaceTileEntity)tileentity);
            worldIn.updateComparatorOutputLevel(pos, this);
         }

super.onReplaced(state, worldIn, pos, newState, isMoving);
      }
   }

I don't know why it takes a tile entity as the last parameter instead of an inventory in AbstractFurnaceBlock. when I look at InventoryHelper, the last parameter is always IInventory.

package net.minecraft.inventory;

import java.util.Random;
import net.minecraft.entity.Entity;
import net.minecraft.entity.EntityType;
import net.minecraft.entity.item.ItemEntity;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.util.NonNullList;
import net.minecraft.util.math.BlockPos;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

public class InventoryHelper {
   private static final Random RANDOM = new Random();

public static void dropInventoryItems(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IInventory inventory) {
      dropInventoryItems(worldIn, (double)pos.getX(), (double)pos.getY(), (double)pos.getZ(), inventory);
   }

public static void dropInventoryItems(World worldIn, Entity entityAt, IInventory inventory) {
      dropInventoryItems(worldIn, entityAt.posX, entityAt.posY, entityAt.posZ, inventory);
   }

private static void dropInventoryItems(World worldIn, double x, double y, double z, IInventory inventory) {
      for(int i = 0; i < inventory.getSizeInventory(); ++i) {
         spawnItemStack(worldIn, x, y, z, inventory.getStackInSlot(i));
      }

}

public static void dropItems(World p_219961_0_, BlockPos p_219961_1_, NonNullList<ItemStack> p_219961_2_) {
      p_219961_2_.forEach((p_219962_2_) -> {
         spawnItemStack(p_219961_0_, (double)p_219961_1_.getX(), (double)p_219961_1_.getY(), (double)p_219961_1_.getZ(), p_219962_2_);
      });
   }

public static void spawnItemStack(World worldIn, double x, double y, double z, ItemStack stack) {
      double d0 = (double)EntityType.ITEM.getWidth();
      double d1 = 1.0D - d0;
      double d2 = d0 / 2.0D;
      double d3 = Math.floor(x) + RANDOM.nextDouble() * d1 + d2;
      double d4 = Math.floor(y) + RANDOM.nextDouble() * d1;
      double d5 = Math.floor(z) + RANDOM.nextDouble() * d1 + d2;

while(!stack.isEmpty()) {
         ItemEntity itementity = new ItemEntity(worldIn, d3, d4, d5, stack.split(RANDOM.nextInt(21) + 10));
         float f = 0.05F;
         itementity.setMotion(RANDOM.nextGaussian() * (double)0.05F, RANDOM.nextGaussian() * (double)0.05F + (double)0.2F, RANDOM.nextGaussian() * (double)0.05F);
         worldIn.addEntity(itementity);
      }

}
}

4 minutes ago, andGarrett said:

I don't know why it takes a tile entity as the last parameter instead of an inventory in AbstractFurnaceBlock. 

All vanilla TileEntities with inventories implement IInventory.

5 minutes ago, andGarrett said:

That's how AbstractFurnaceBlock, as you mentioned before, seems to do it in 1.14.4-28.0.45:

Look at the method in question to figure out what it does. You'll notice it all leads back to one method InventoryHelper.dropItems

Which takes in a NonNullList<ItemStack> which you can get from your IItemHandler.

• Thanks 1

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

2 hours ago, Animefan8888 said:

Which takes in a NonNullList<ItemStack> which you can get from your IItemHandler.

ah, I needed to get the item handler. thanks!

@Override
        worldIn.getTileEntity(pos).getCapability(CapabilityItemHandler.ITEM_HANDLER_CAPABILITY).ifPresent(h -> {
            }
        });
    }

2 hours ago, andGarrett said:

ah, I needed to get the item handler. thanks!

@Override
            }
        });
    }

oops, that's not entirely correct. I forgot I removed the part that is there by default that removes the tile entity. here's the real solution:

@Override
            }
        });

}
    }

...wouldn't you only want to spawn the drops when the TE gets removed?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

3 hours ago, Draco18s said:

...wouldn't you only want to spawn the drops when the TE gets removed?

is that not what I am already doing? do you mean something like this:

@Override
                }
            });
        }
    }

14 hours ago, andGarrett said:

This can technically return true and have there be no TileEntity at the position. So you should instead Store the TileEntity in a local variable in the method(World#getTileEntity) and check if they are not null then drop all the items.

Edited by Animefan8888

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

7 hours ago, andGarrett said:

do you mean something like this:

Yes

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.