[SOLVED][1.14.4] Entities and SpawnEggs

TheMikeste1

I've been playing around with Entities and decided to make a spawn egg. However, when I used the spawn egg, I got a NullPointerException when I built my EntityType inside of my event subscriber, like so (note the EntityType is built on line 16):

1     //Entities
2     @ObjectHolder("entity_test")
3     public static final EntityType<CreeperEntity> entity_test = null;
5     //SpawnEggs
6     @ObjectHolder("spawn_entity_test")
7     public static final Item spawn_entity_test = null;
9     @SubscribeEvent
10    public static void registerEntities(final RegistryEvent.Register<EntityType<?>> event) {
11        LOGGER.debug("Wabbits: Registering Entities...");
12        event.getRegistry().registerAll(
13                EntityType.Builder
14                        .create(CreeperEntity::new, EntityClassification.AMBIENT)
15                        .size(0.4F, 0.7F)
16                        .build("entity_test").setRegistryName(Constants.MOD_ID, "entity_test")
17        );
18    } //registerEntities()
20    @SubscribeEvent
21    public static void registerSpawnEggs(final RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) {
22        LOGGER.debug("Wabbits: Registering Spawn Eggs...");
23        event.getRegistry().registerAll(
24                new SpawnEggItem(entity_test, 0, 0, new Item.Properties().group(ItemGroups.MAIN_GROUP_WABBITS)).setRegistryName(Constants.MOD_ID, "spawn_entity_test")
25        );
26    } //registerSpawnEggs()

After exploring with the debugger, I discovered that Items are registered before Entities, which means the spawn egg is being registered before the ObjectHolder for my EntityType is set (resulting in the egg trying to spawn null). I messed around with SubscribeEvent priorities for a while, but Items always registered first. I then tried building the EntityType and assigning it before the register event (lines 3-6):

1     //Entities
2     @ObjectHolder("entity_test")
3     public static final EntityType<CreeperEntity> entity_test = EntityType.Builder
4             .create(CreeperEntity::new, EntityClassification.AMBIENT)
5             .size(0.4F, 0.7F)
6             .build("entity_test");
8     //SpawnEggs
9     @ObjectHolder("spawn_entity_test")
10    public static final Item spawn_entity_test = null;
13    @SubscribeEvent
14    public static void registerEntities(final RegistryEvent.Register<EntityType<?>> event) {
15        LOGGER.debug("Wabbits: Registering Entities...");
16        event.getRegistry().registerAll(
17                entity_test.setRegistryName(Constants.MOD_ID, "entity_test")
18        );
19    } //registerEntities()
21    @SubscribeEvent
22    public static void registerSpawnEggs(final RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) {
23        LOGGER.debug("Wabbits: Registering Spawn Eggs...");
24        event.getRegistry().registerAll(
25                new SpawnEggItem(entity_test, 0, 0, new Item.Properties().group(ItemGroups.MAIN_GROUP_WABBITS)).setRegistryName(Constants.MOD_ID, "spawn_entity_test")
26        );
27    } //registerSpawnEggs()

This works, but seems odd since every other object (Blocks, Items, ect.) is built or constructed inside of #registerAll. Is there a better way to set up the Entity and SpawnEgg?

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

You have to create (not register) the EntityTypes beforehand, then register them in the EntityType registry event, like you already do.

However you must not create registry entries in static initializers, in this case you can create the entity types in the item registry event.

Awesome, thank you!

• TheMikeste1 changed the title to [SOLVED][1.14.4] Entities and SpawnEggs