MinecraftForge Chroma Mod [move to mods]

LoganJohnG

[SOLVED] The technical issues have been figured out.

You can find the mod source at: https://github.com/tgraupmann/MinecraftChromaMod

Is there a guide for hooking into item events?

I'm probably looking for the event API documentation...

AKA I'd like to have custom code when an item is in use so that I can call custom code.

For example, when the player picks up and selects a particular item. Is there an event when the bow or pickaxe or cobblestone is active in the players hands?

Is there an event for when Armor, Pants, Helmet are equipped?

The reason for this is I have a Java library for controlling hardware RGB lighting. I want to hook into the events to control the lighting and play various animations.

A keyboard animation looks like this:

2019-08-17_18-23-53-c3a8c5cb1cc488563c224b509ec82f79.gif

Other useful events.

1. Event for when the game starts and in the main menu (to init lighting)

2. Event when the game is going to exit (to uninit lighting)

3. Event when the player spawns

4. Event when the player jumps

5. Event when the player opens a door

6. Event when the player closes a door

7. Event when the player breaks a block

8. Event when the player attacks with a sword

9. Event when the player attacks with a bow

10. Event when the player gets hit by a monster

11. Event when the player is on fire

12. Event when player is under water

13. Event when player gains XP

14. Event for player health (show healthbar on the F-keys)

15. Event for player armor (show armor on F-keys)

16. Event when player drinks a potion

17. Event when player eats food

Some pointers would be most appreciated.

My experience with Minecraft Forge comes from this tutorial series - https://www.udemy.com/minecraft-modding-java

So I can make custom items, pickaxe, shovel, sword, armor, creative tabs, etc. The course only covers making custom items, recipes, and skinning items. I'd like to take the next step into player events, door events, and item events.

Thank you!

Edited by LoganJohnG

Have you tried looking at the net.minecraftforge.eventbus package?

Also, christ that video is a terrible demonstration. The only time you could see the keyboard light up is when the room lights were off. The only time the keyboard did fuckall is when the room lights came on...

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

This will print a log entry each time a new Event type happens...

package com.example.examplemod;

import java.util.Hashtable;

import net.minecraftforge.common.MinecraftForge;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.Event;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.SubscribeEvent;

public class MyForgeEventHandler {

Hashtable<String, String> mHashtable = new Hashtable<String, String>();

public void init() {
		MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(this);
	}
    @SubscribeEvent
    public void pickupItem(Event event) {
    	String className = event.getClass().getSimpleName();
    	if (mHashtable.get(className) == null) {
    		mHashtable.put(className, className);
    		System.out.println("Detected new eventType! " + className);
    	}
    }
}

Edited by LoganJohnG

Oh god, why?

RIP StdOut

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

Subscribing to the base class is just a means to get all the possible events and log that. Once everything is captured, sure only subscribe to explicit class types. And switched from Hashtable to List<String> for the quick capture...

package occmod;

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import net.minecraftforge.common.MinecraftForge;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.Event;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.SubscribeEvent;

public class MyForgeEventHandler {
	List<String> mEvents = new ArrayList<String>();

public void init() {
		MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(this);
	}

@SubscribeEvent
	public void pickupItem(Event event) {
		switch (event.getClass().getSimpleName()) {
		case "AchievementEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.AchievementEvent
		case "AllowDespawn": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingSpawnEvent$AllowDespawn
		case "AttachCapabilitiesEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.AttachCapabilitiesEvent
		case "AttackEntityEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.AttackEntityEvent
		case "BackgroundDrawnEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.GuiScreenEvent$BackgroundDrawnEvent
		case "BreakEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.BlockEvent$BreakEvent
		case "BreakSpeed": // class net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerEvent$BreakSpeed
		case "CameraSetup": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.EntityViewRenderEvent$CameraSetup
		case "CanUpdate": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.EntityEvent$CanUpdate
		case "Chat": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.RenderGameOverlayEvent$Chat
		case "CheckSpawn": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingSpawnEvent$CheckSpawn
		case "ClientChatEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.client.event.ClientChatEvent
		case "ClientChatReceivedEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.ClientChatReceivedEvent
		case "ClientConnectedToServerEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkEvent$ClientConnectedToServerEvent
		case "ClientTickEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.TickEvent$ClientTickEvent
		case "Close": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerContainerEvent$Close
		case "CommandEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.event.CommandEvent
		case "CreateFluidSourceEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.event.world.BlockEvent$CreateFluidSourceEvent
		case "CustomPacketRegistrationEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkEvent$CustomPacketRegistrationEvent
		case "Detonate": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.ExplosionEvent$Detonate
		case "DifficultyChangeEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.DifficultyChangeEvent
		case "DrawBlockHighlightEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.DrawBlockHighlightEvent
		case "EnteringChunk": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.EntityEvent$EnteringChunk
		case "Entity": // net.minecraftforge.event.AttachCapabilitiesEvent$Entity
		case "EntityConstructing": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.EntityEvent$EntityConstructing
		case "EntityItemPickupEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.EntityItemPickupEvent
		case "EntityJoinWorldEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.EntityJoinWorldEvent
		case "FogColors": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.EntityViewRenderEvent$FogColors
		case "FogDensity": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.EntityViewRenderEvent$FogDensity
		case "FOVModifier": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.EntityViewRenderEvent$FOVModifier
		case "FOVUpdateEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.FOVUpdateEvent
		case "GetCollisionBoxesEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.GetCollisionBoxesEvent
		case "GetFoliageColor": // net.minecraftforge.event.terraingen.BiomeEvent$GetFoliageColor
		case "GetGrassColor": // net.minecraftforge.event.terraingen.BiomeEvent$GetGrassColor
		case "GetWaterColor": // net.minecraftforge.event.terraingen.BiomeEvent$GetWaterColor
		case "GuiOpenEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.GuiOpenEvent
		case "HarvestCheck": // class net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerEvent$HarvestCheck
		case "HarvestDropsEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.BlockEvent$HarvestDropsEvent
		case "Item": // net.minecraftforge.event.AttachCapabilitiesEvent$Item
		case "ItemCraftedEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.PlayerEvent$ItemCraftedEvent
		case "ItemExpireEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.item.ItemExpireEvent
		case "ItemPickupEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.PlayerEvent$ItemPickupEvent
		case "ItemTooltipEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.ItemTooltipEvent
		case "ItemTossEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.event.entity.item.ItemTossEvent
		case "KeyInputEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.InputEvent$KeyInputEvent
		case "LeftClickBlock": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerInteractEvent$LeftClickBlock
		case "LeftClickEmpty": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerInteractEvent$LeftClickEmpty
		case "LivingAttackEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingAttackEvent
		case "LivingDeathEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingDeathEvent
		case "LivingDropsEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingDropsEvent
		case "LivingEquipmentChangeEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingEquipmentChangeEvent
		case "LivingExperienceDropEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingExperienceDropEvent
		case "LivingFallEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingFallEvent
		case "LivingHurtEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingHurtEvent
		case "LivingJumpEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingEvent$LivingJumpEvent
		case "LivingPackSizeEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingPackSizeEvent
		case "LivingSetAttackTargetEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingSetAttackTargetEvent
		case "LivingUpdateEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingEvent$LivingUpdateEvent
		case "Load": // class net.minecraftforge.event.world.WorldEvent$Load
		case "LoadFromFile": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerEvent$LoadFromFile
		case "LootingLevelEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LootingLevelEvent
		case "LootTableLoadEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.LootTableLoadEvent
		case "ModelBakeEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.ModelBakeEvent
		case "MouseEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.MouseEvent
		case "MouseInputEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.InputEvent$MouseInputEvent
		case "NameFormat": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerEvent$NameFormat
		case "NeighborNotifyEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.BlockEvent$NeighborNotifyEvent
		case "Open": // class net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerContainerEvent$Open
		case "PlaceEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.BlockEvent$PlaceEvent
		case "PlayerDestroyItemEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerDestroyItemEvent
		case "PlayerFlyableFallEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerFlyableFallEvent
		case "PlayerLoggedInEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.PlayerEvent$PlayerLoggedInEvent
		case "PlayerPickupXpEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerPickupXpEvent
		case "PlayerSetSpawnEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerSetSpawnEvent
		case "PlayerTickEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.TickEvent$PlayerTickEvent
		case "PlaySoundAtEntityEvent": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.PlaySoundAtEntityEvent
		case "PlaySoundEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.sound.PlaySoundEvent
		case "PlaySoundSourceEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.sound.PlaySoundSourceEvent
		case "PlayStreamingSourceEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.sound.PlayStreamingSourceEvent
		case "Post": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.TextureStitchEvent$Post
		case "PostBackground": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.RenderTooltipEvent$PostBackground
		case "PostText": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.RenderTooltipEvent$PostText
		case "PotentialSpawns": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.WorldEvent$PotentialSpawns
		case "Pre": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.TextureStitchEvent$Pre
		case "RenderBlockOverlayEvent": // class net.minecraftforge.client.event.RenderBlockOverlayEvent
		case "RenderFogEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.EntityViewRenderEvent$RenderFogEvent
		case "RenderHandEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.RenderHandEvent
		case "RenderSpecificHandEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.RenderSpecificHandEvent
		case "RenderTickEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.TickEvent$RenderTickEvent
		case "RenderWorldLastEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.RenderWorldLastEvent
		case "ReplaceBiomeBlocks": // net.minecraftforge.event.terraingen.ChunkGeneratorEvent$ReplaceBiomeBlocks
		case "RightClickBlock": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerInteractEvent$RightClickBlock
		case "RightClickEmpty": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerInteractEvent$RightClickEmpty
		case "RightClickItem": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerInteractEvent$RightClickItem
		case "Save": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.ChunkDataEvent$Save
		case "SaveToFile": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerEvent$SaveToFile
		case "ServerConnectionFromClientEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkEvent$ServerConnectionFromClientEvent
		case "ServerTickEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.TickEvent$ServerTickEvent
		case "SoundLoadEvent": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.sound.SoundLoadEvent
		case "SpecialSpawn": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingSpawnEvent$SpecialSpawn
		case "Start": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.ExplosionEvent$Start
		case "StartTracking": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerEvent$StartTracking
		case "StopTracking": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerEvent$StopTracking
		case "Text": // net.minecraftforge.client.event.RenderGameOverlayEvent$Text
		case "TileEntity": // net.minecraftforge.event.AttachCapabilitiesEvent$TileEntity
		case "Unload": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.ChunkEvent$Unload
		case "UnWatch": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.ChunkWatchEvent$UnWatch
		case "Watch": // net.minecraftforge.event.world.ChunkWatchEvent$Watch
		case "World": // net.minecraftforge.event.AttachCapabilitiesEvent$World
		case "WorldTickEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.TickEvent$WorldTickEvent
			return;
		}
		String className = event.getClass().getSimpleName();
		if (!mEvents.contains(className)) {
			mEvents.add(className);
			System.out.println("case \"" + className + "\": // " + event.getClass());
		}
	}
}

Edited by Tim Graupmann

So instead of looking through Forge's events package you've written into your mod to sub to the base event and identify each one manually as it's fired?

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
    1. git init
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)

Right I'll just play and watch the logs to get the events I'm looking for. Once I've identified an event that I'm interested, I'll just subscribe to that event in the final MOD.

case "PlayerTickEvent": // net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.TickEvent$PlayerTickEvent
			PlayerTickEvent tickEvent = (PlayerTickEvent) event;

if (tickEvent.player.isInWater() && !mPlayerState.mInWater) {
				mPlayerState.mInWater = true;
				System.out.println("Player is in Water");
			}
			if (!tickEvent.player.isInWater() && mPlayerState.mInWater) {
				mPlayerState.mInWater = false;
				System.out.println("Player is not in Water");
			}

if (tickEvent.player.onGround && !mPlayerState.mOnGround) {
				mPlayerState.mOnGround = true;
				System.out.println("Player is on ground");
			}
			if (!tickEvent.player.onGround && mPlayerState.mOnGround) {
				mPlayerState.mOnGround = false;
				System.out.println("Player is not on the ground");
			}

if (tickEvent.player.isAirBorne && !mPlayerState.mInAir) {
				mPlayerState.mInAir = true;
				System.out.println("Player is in the air");
			}
			if (!tickEvent.player.isAirBorne && mPlayerState.mInAir) {
				mPlayerState.mInAir = false;
				System.out.println("Player is not in the air");
			}

if (tickEvent.player.isDead && mPlayerState.mAlive) {
				mPlayerState.mAlive = false;
				System.out.println("Player is Dead");
			}
			if (!tickEvent.player.isDead && !mPlayerState.mAlive) {
				mPlayerState.mAlive = true;
				System.out.println("Player is Alive");
			}

if (tickEvent.player.isInLava() && !mPlayerState.mInLava) {
				mPlayerState.mInLava = true;
				System.out.println("Player is in Lava");
			}
			if (!tickEvent.player.isInLava() && mPlayerState.mInLava) {
				mPlayerState.mInLava = false;
				System.out.println("Player is not in Lava");
			}

break;

I see there's server and client events.

[13:21:07] [Client thread/INFO]: [STDOUT]: Player is not on the ground
[13:21:07] [Server thread/INFO]: [STDOUT]: Player is on the ground JUMPED
[13:21:07] [Client thread/INFO]: [STDOUT]: Player is not on the ground
[13:21:07] [Client thread/INFO]: [STDOUT]: Player is on the ground JUMPED

Is there a condition I can check so that I'm only doing things on the client?

Edited by Tim Graupmann

Right Click -> View Type Hierarchy?

image.png.af787e6e8b3c8d384a36710894b905a8.png

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Oh my lord you’re doing everything ass backwards

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

Here are two use cases.

Right-clicking on a wooden door and a chest.

They both fire a RightClickBlock event.

I can use the event to get the block, the block state, iterate the properties to see if it's open.

That works for the door because there's an "open" property.

Player right click block: minecraft:wooden_door[facing=south,half=upper,hinge=left,open=false,powered=false] class net.minecraft.block.state.BlockStateContainer$StateImplementation
Block state: false
Opened Door

I don't see an open property for the chest.

Player right click block: minecraft:chest[facing=east] class net.minecraft.block.state.BlockStateContainer$StateImplementation

The chest open property must be in another castle...

case "RightClickBlock": // net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerInteractEvent$RightClickBlock
		{
			RightClickBlock gameEvent = (RightClickBlock) event;
			BlockPos pos = gameEvent.getPos();
			IBlockState blockState = gameEvent.getWorld().getBlockState(pos);
			if (null != blockState) {
				System.out.println("Player right click block: " + blockState + " " + blockState.getClass());
				StateImplementation state = (StateImplementation) blockState;
				Block block = state.getBlock();
				switch (block.getRegistryName().toString()) {
				case "minecraft:wooden_door":
					for (IProperty<?> p : state.getPropertyKeys()) {
						if (p.getName().equals("open")) {
							System.out.println("Block state: " + state.getValue(p));
							if ((boolean) state.getValue(p)) {
								System.out.println("Closed Door");
							} else {
								System.out.println("Opened Door");
							}
							break;
						}
					}
					break;
				default:
					System.out.println("Block name: " + block.getRegistryName());
					break;
				}
			}
		}
			break;

4 minutes ago, Tim Graupmann said:

The chest open property must be in another castle...

You could have literally just looked at BlockChest(ChestBlock) and found that out in seconds...

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

But he prefers to play the game, not look at what actually makes the game work /s

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

4 hours ago, Tim Graupmann said:

I'd rather just play the game, do something, see what's logged, and hook into it that way.

That's just ridiculous. The load time of the game every time you go between investigating and actually writing code makes this inefficient to the extreme. Are you saying you cant look at the name of the event and guess what it does. net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingUpdateEvent: that must fire whenever a living entity updates. Or net.minecraftforge.event.world.BlockEvent.Break: is whenever a block is broken.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Gameplay wise how do you open an iron door? Seems like according to the properties, it has to be powered.

Anyway, just going through BlockChest I don't see an opened property that is exposed. Instead I need to get the EntityPlayer to check if the openContainer is not null which means it's open. Probably not the best way to do it.

{
			RightClickBlock gameEvent = (RightClickBlock) event;
			BlockPos pos = gameEvent.getPos();
			IBlockState blockState = gameEvent.getWorld().getBlockState(pos);
				System.out.println("Player right click block: " + blockState + " " + blockState.getClass());
				System.out.println("Block: " + block.getClass());
				case "minecraft:chest":
				case "minecraft:ender_chest":
				case "minecraft:trapped_chest":
				{
					Entity player = gameEvent.getEntity();
					System.out.println("Entity: "+player.getClass());
					EntityPlayerSP playerSP = (EntityPlayerSP)player;
					if (playerSP.openContainer != null) {
						System.out.println("Container is open "+block.getRegistryName().toString());
					}
					break;
				}
				case "minecraft:acacia_door":
				case "minecraft:birch_door":
				case "minecraft:dark_oak_door":
				case "minecraft:iron_door":
				case "minecraft:jungle_door":
				case "minecraft:spruce_door":
							System.out.println("Block state: " + state.getValue(p));
								System.out.println("Closed Door");
							} else {
								System.out.println("Opened Door");
							}
							break;
						}
					}
					break;
				default:
					System.out.println("Block name: " + block.getRegistryName());
					break;
				}
			}
			break;

Edited by LoganJohnG

Hilariously, that's because if you right click on a chest, its automatically open.

Also this:

image.png.22871758a202181e9d98fad7e34ac11f.png

...and?

I'm really not sure what your point is.

7 minutes ago, LoganJohnG said:

Probably not the best way to do it.

Yeah no that's a horrible way to do it. If you want to know when a container is opened use the container open event and if you want to know on the client side you can use that or the gui open event.

Just now, LoganJohnG said:

Oh the iron door takes a weighted pressure plate to open.

Have you ever played minecraft before? An iron door needs redstone power to open in vanilla.

Sure I played some MC. Not an extensive amount though. I'd have to ask my kids how it works when they get home.

Okay this works great to detect open and close chest events.

@SubscribeEvent
	public void handlePlayerContainerEvent(PlayerContainerEvent event) {
		if (event.getContainer().getClass() == ContainerChest.class) {
			if (event.getClass() == PlayerContainerEvent.Open.class) {
				System.out.println("Chest Opened");
			} else if (event.getClass() == PlayerContainerEvent.Close.class) {
				System.out.println("Chest Closed");
			}
		}	
	}

4 minutes ago, LoganJohnG said:

Okay this works great to detect open and close chest events.

If you need both the open and close events you should subscribe to them separately.

5 minutes ago, LoganJohnG said:

Sure I played some MC. Not an extensive amount though. I'd have to ask my kids how it works when they get home.

This makes a lot more sense. I understand why you would want to play the game to figure out the events. Because you dont know much about the game from playing it already.

The Type Hierarchy is definitely useful to find the events.

image.png.40a32706c75452cb06e49493c502cb02.png

I added a delay when checking if a door is open for the case for the iron door might not open. Also when you open a door it's closed when initially right-clicking it.

@SubscribeEvent
	public void handleRightClickBlock(RightClickBlock event) {
		final BlockPos pos = event.getPos();
		final World world = event.getWorld();
		new java.util.Timer().schedule( 
		        new java.util.TimerTask() {
		            @Override
		            public void run() {
		            	IBlockState blockState = world.getBlockState(pos);
		        			case "minecraft:acacia_door":
		        			case "minecraft:birch_door":
		        			case "minecraft:dark_oak_door":
		        			case "minecraft:iron_door":
		        			case "minecraft:jungle_door":
		        			case "minecraft:spruce_door":
		        							System.out.println("Door is open");
		        						} else {
		        							System.out.println("Door is closed");
		        						}
		        						break;
		        					}
		        				}
		        				break;
		        			default:
		        				System.out.println("RightClickBlock name: " + block.getRegistryName() + "class " + block.getClass());
		        				break;
		        			}
		        		}
		            }
		        }, 
		        250 //ms 
		);		
	}