[1.12.2] Help understanding block state properties and meta data

jottinger

I am just trying to wrap my head around the concept, and am trying to determine if I have the correct logic about meta data, specifically about the functions getMetaFromState and getStateFromMeta.
... am I the one who sets the metadata values in getMetaFromState, or do they exist elsewhere before I set them there.  And if I set them there, will that be what gets passed to getStateFromMeta?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.  I've been searching the forums and docs and have yet to make the logical leap.

Crash Course in block states:

You know how torches sit on different sides of a block?

You know how dispensers can face in different directions?

You know how there's grass and snowy grass?

You know how there's both sand and red sand?

You know how fences connect to each other in different directions?

All of those things are block states. States of the block that define some behavior, be it a different texture, model, or behavior.

Metadata is the underlying implementation of how blockstate information (which is complex) is saved to disk. Some states (like fence connectivity) is not saved as it is a property that can be determined by looking at the world.

1.13 The Flattening removed all "its actually a different block" states, so Red Sand is now its own block, rather than a "variant state" of Sand. Same goes for the 16 wool colors (and their associated dyes and the fact the dye and the wool metadatas were mirrors of each other for no god damn reason).

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Thanks for this, but I understand what block states do.  I was just wondering if I was the one in control of the metadata (of my custom blocks) by using those two functions, or if the minecraft assigned their own metadata to my blocks when I set block states.

1 hour ago, jottinger said:

I was just wondering if I was the one in control of the metadata

Yes.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.